Your favorite and least favorite show

Just wondering when comparing shows from any corps performances from different years, which do you consider to be your favorite? Which one is your least favorite from that corps? I use the words "least favorite" since you may actually love the show, but compared to every other show by that corps, it just wasn't quite as amazing as the others. If possible, try to explain something about the shows that made it your favorite or least favorite.

Some of my choices

SCV-

Favorite 1999- amazing music, some awesome drill, perfectly timed "VANGUARD" yell during the opener. Absolutely could not get that amazing ballad out of my head for several months after finals.

Least Favorite 1993-While I absolutely love SCV every year, the only reason this would be my least favorite from them is the ending. I remember the first time I saw that show, after spreading the guard across the field with the pit ending softly and horns off to the right(way cool up to this part), instead of a last note, they "clicked" off the field. I was disappointed in the crowd reaction, since most of them were like-"is it over?" Just felt the ending could have stopped for effect.

Cavliers-

Favorite-2000 WOW. Loved the music, drill and that ending was absolutely amazing, with really cool integrated guardwork. Love Cavies every year, but this show just had something extra.

Least Favorite-1994-although I love the unique show they put on that year, the music just wasn't quite as amazing as other years-the flow just wasn't quite there

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, this'll be interesting. Keep in mind this is only going by the shows I've seen or at least heard. Oh, and this may offend someone.

Cadets

Favorite: 2000. I think I've stated many times why I love this show. But in a nutshell, I truly believe drum corps music cannot get better than this. Perfect.

Runners up: 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 2001

Least favorite: 1988. Funny thing is, I love this show. There's some really great stuff going on there. It's just my least favorite out of all their shows. In fact, it's the only show I've seen from them since 1983 that I don't think is absolutely breathtakingly amazing.

Cavaliers

Favorite: 1992. Great musical book, awesome drill, and their most emotional production besides 1995. And an actual ballad is always a plus.

Runner up: 1995

Least Favorite: 2001. I honestly cannot listen to this show, and most of it I barely consider music.

Runner up: 2002. Zzzzzzz...

Santa Clara Vanguard

Favorite: 1989. The pinnacle of drum corps. This show is indescribable. Pure emotion flowing from the field.

Runners up: 1988, 1987, 2003, 2005

Least favorite: 2001. Short Ride was great. What the heck was the rest? Jug Blues and Fat Picken? Should a piece with a name like that even be allowed to be played on the field?

Star of Indiana

Favorite: 1990. This show is the total package; it represented Star's constant success in being entertaining and sophisticated at the same time.

Runners up: 1989, 1991, 1993 (!)

Least Favorite: 1992. They had a great sound, but I just can't come to like a show that includes the Star Spangled Banner. Sorry.

Phantom Regiment

Favorite: 1989. How could you not like this show? It's classical music transformed perfec--almost perfectly (with the exception of the ride cymbal in the Largo) into the drum corps idiom.

Least favorite: 1992 (again, from what I've heard from them)

Blue Devils

Favorite: 1986. Holy crap. That's all I have to say.

Least favorite: 2005. Yowza yowza...yeah, you know the deal.

Carolina Crown

Favorite: 2005. :worthy::worthy::worthy:. True drum corps.

Least favorite: 2004. Poetry. I don't get it.

I'll bite on this--but I feel a lock is coming because it may get ugly....

I'm going to talk about Spirit and Suncoast Sound, because I was just thinking about this the other day.

Favorite Spirit....1986....it was FUN!! Just straight fun to listen to that music. I loved the opener. And "Sweet Georgia Brown" was a great montage of styles bringing across the themes. Very cool. Would never do well nowadays, but in 1986, it was great.

Least Favorite Spirit....1988 (with a CLOSE runner up 1985)....Patrouchka???? Oh Lord. I went back to finals that year as I had aged out the year before, and I was there to support VK. But HOLY COW!! To me personally, it was 11 minutes of musical torture. Music drove me nuts...and I think, if I remember correctly, that was a Sal Salas show. Right? Or am I just getting old and not remembering?

Favorite Suncoast....1985 (with a VERY close runner up with 1988)...I did NOT appreciate them in 1985. I was a baritone in VK, and I simply didn't know enough and was too into myself and VK to appreciate that show. But when I got my records from DCI that year (YEAH...RECORDS!!!), I ended up listening to Suncoast the most. WHAT A SHOW!! I can't think of anything quite as exciting as the closing production....ESPECIALLY with the baritone solo, bass drum doo hickey at the end and the final 30-45 seconds. WHOA!!! And 1988 was simply way ahead of its time. This Karl Lowe production wowed me, which was sort of interesting, as I had gone back to KC that year with a bunch of people that referred to that show as "esoteric crap". I LOVED IT!!

Least Favorite Suncoast...1987...and it's too bad because their drum majors that year were really really cool. Kevin Ford, big name drill designer, was one of those drum majors. But in any event, that was just a yawn show. I thought the music was trite, and the show design took a step down from 1986. Glad they stepped back up and TOTALLY changed directions in 1988. It just amazed me after the incredible success of 1985 and the ORIGINAL score written for them, that they didn't commission Robert W. Smith to do something else. Weird.

Phantom Regiment

Favorite 1993- nice total package here-really felt the energy on this show

Least favorite-1999-to me, this show just never really quite came together. Nice music, but wasn't quite as clean as most other years. Drill also wasn't quite as clean or amazing as other years.

Colts-

Fav-1999 Brilliant choice of music, nice drill, cleanest show I have seen from the Colts. Just felt the emotion on finals week from them. And watching the video from finals, the emotion on Emily's face as she watches her final perfomance as drum major for the Colts-chokes me up every time.

Least Fav-2004-I know that many people loved this show, but for me it just didn't excite me like alot of other Colts shows do. I just didn't like the music that year-particularly the ballad

Cadets:

..Fav: 1993, intensity, breathtaking drill, the guard! (HM 98,00,01)

..Least: 1986, creative experiment that doesn't click with me (HM 1988)

SCV:

..Fav: 1999, holy mama

..Least: 1993, weird design choices

Cavies:

..Fav: 1990, great balad, great drill (HM 1991, 2000)

..Least: 1994, eh

BD:

..Fav: 1986, yeah that's a drum corps show

..Least: 1996

Phantom:

..Fav: 1996, a classic (HM 2003, 1993)

..Least: 1992

Star:

..Fav: 1993

..Least: 1992

Cadets Favorite - 2000

Cadets Least Favorite- 2003

Blue Devils Favorite - 1994

Blue Devils least favorite - 2005/2004

Madison Scouts Favorite - 1999

Madison Scouts least favorite 2004

Phantom Favorite 2005

Phantom Least Favorite 2002

Boston Favorite - 2000

Boston Least Favorite 2003

Crown Favorite 2005

Crown least favorite 2000

Cavies Favorite 1995/2004

Cavies Least Favorite 1994

I don't feel explanations are needed cause usually if there is aergument that is what starts it. These are just my opinions.

Wow; no love for '93 SCV ;)

Personally, that was a show I really like. I guess maybe it's because I was just a youngin' that summer (it was the summer before my senior year of high school), but I LOVED the ending of that show. And now that I know some members from that corps, and heard some of the millions of stories about that special group, I love that show even more (Lee R. has a great story about them that was published in numerous places, and probably on his web site, from a drumline perspective).

--

doug

Blue Devils

Favorite - 99

Least Favorite - ?

Madison

Favorite - 97

Least Favorite - 05 (or possibly 04)

Boston

Favorite - 00

Least Favorite - 03 (maybe 04)

SCV

Favorite - 00

Least Favorite - 95

Cadets

Favorite - 87

Least Favorite - 92

Phantom

Favorite - 96 (tie 89)

Least Favorite - 04 (05 a close second)

Cavaliers

Favorite - 04 (95 second)

Least Favorite - 02

Bluecoats

Favorite - 05

Least Favorite - 03

Crown

Favorite - 05

Least Favorite - 03

Cavaliers Favorite - 2000 With 2004 in a close second

Cavaliers Least Favorite -1999 ( hasn't really gotten to me yet)

Cadets Favorite - 2001

Cadets Least Favorite - 2004

Blue Devils Favorite - 1999

Blue Devils Least Favorite - 2004

Santa Clara Vanquard Favorite - 2004 with 2003 and 1999 in a close second

Santa Clara Vanguard Least Favorite - 2000 (I am a wierdo to many for this one prolly)

Phantom Regiment Favorite - 2001 with 2002 in a close second

Phantom Regiment Least Favorite - 2004

Bluecoats Favorite - Got to be this past year 2005

Bluecoats Least Favorite - 2003 (and I was in that show)

Boston Crusaders Favorite - 2004

Boston Crusaders Least Favorite - 2003

Madison Favorite - 1999

Madison Least Favorite - 2002

Carolina Crown Favorite - 2001

Carolina Crown Least Favorite - 2003

Blue Knights Favorite - 2000

Blue Knights Least Favorite - 2001

Crossmen Favorite - 2002

Crossmen Least Favorite - 2005

Glassmen Favorite - 2001

Glassmen Least Favorite - 2002 (And I like glassmen so this least favorite is not bad at all in my opinions)