Why do people think G = "Bugles"????

Guest GeorgeD

I believe 1 reason the G bugle sounds more aggressive than the B flat trumpet is that its pitched a minor third higher. I'm not 100% sure about this so if I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected. I think the tubing of the G bugle is shorter than the B flat variety, making it sound higher. I guess the whole horn line is like this so we gained a minor 3rd at the bottom of the tuba range, and lost a minor third at the top of the sop range when we changed to B flat.

G Bugles have more Tubing then Bb Horns, a G Bugle is pitched a minor third LOWER. On a Bb Tuba the lowest note in concert pitch would be a E (not pedals) while on a G Contrabass, The lowest note would be a Db (again not pedals).

• 8 months later...

But on this subject, it seems as if the key of G advocates are truly offended when the soprano is called a trumpet. Well, in the same manner people associate the word bugle with the key of G, they also associate the word band with the key of Bb.

In reality a soprano IS also a trumpet because the key isn't what makes the instrument. There are trumpets in many different keys: C, D, Eb, E, F, G and more, not just Bb, but folks continue to treat bugles as if they are on a pedastal and trumpets as though they are some lowly instrument. Sorry, but all brass instruments get their roots from the bugle, not just the ones in G.

truly offended when the soprano is called a trumpet.

Truly offended ? Nope. Just correcting a wrong answer. Would you call a Flute a Saxophone? A Tuba a Trombone? A Flugelhorn a Trumpet? A Trumpet a Coronet? A Soprano Bugle, is a Soprano Bugle, not a Trumpet...

Hey, keep the electronics and woodwinds out, and it will be drum corps no matter what key the horns are in. B)

Drum Corps, yes...

Drum and Bugle Corps, no... Unless, your playing Bb Bugles

Edited by FreelancerAlumni

I have four points:

1. It stoped being "real" drum & bugle corps when they added valves and rotors to the horn.

2. The quality of sound from DCI hornlines has improved by LIGHT YEARS since 2000. If you disagree then your mind was probably already made up that you wouldn't accept the new horns so you have blocked your brain from even appreciating it.

3. When I hear Blue Devils, Cadets and SCV nowadays, guess what..... IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE DRUM CORPS NOT MARCHING BAND!!! Oh my! Imagine that!!! I didn't even realize Cavaliers were playing on the new horns till someone told me they made the switch a few years ago. I knew they sounded great but I had no idea they were on Bb instruments.

4. When I was young and I firs heard Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils and 27th Lancers I didn't care what key the instruments were. I just knew I loved it and I wanted to do it. I would have still marched drum corps no matter what key the horns were in.

End of story. Get over it.

1. It stoped being "real" drum & bugle corps when they added valves and rotors to the horn.

Actually; rotors and valves have nothing to do with the name of the instrument. It's the overall design and characteristic quality of sound it produces. Trumpets for example are primarily of a "cylindrical" construction. A Bugle is of a "conical" design. they produce different characteristic quality of sound. Valves and rotors merely allow more accessible "notes" to be added to the Chromatic scale playable by the instrument. There are Bb Bugles. There are valveless, Field Trumpets.

truly offended when the soprano is called a trumpet.

Truly offended ? Nope. Just correcting a wrong answer. Would you call a Flute a Saxophone? A Tuba a Trombone? A Flugelhorn a Trumpet? A Trumpet a Coronet? A Soprano Bugle, is a Soprano Bugle, not a Trumpet...

I also would be upset if this was mistaken for a Trumpet!

3919942294_a7c9b370f5_z.jpg

The reason is simple:

Its spelled buGle - NOT buBble. :devil:

Someone call Staples, that was too easy! :tongue:

And a lot of Corps can't match the sound of the old two valve etc Corps from yesterday.

But I don't think that's a fair statement, to the extent that you make it sound as though the horn lines of the two-valve era were of uniformly high quality. Then as now, there were superior horn lines and others that, to be polite, were not so much so. A lot of corps back then couldn't match the sound of their more proficient contemporaries either.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

The overtone series of G bugles, and their previous styles of construction, allowed for very deep dark chords in the low brass with very penetrating high brass. Almost organ-like. Yes, you can get the same organ-like quality out of a Bb line, but the overtones just aren't there.

You are entitled to your opinion, by all means. And yes, the horn lines of yesteryear do have a distinctive quality. But I think you're kinda talking thru your hat with that stuff about the overtones series.

Peace - no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Actually; rotors and valves have nothing to do with the name of the instrument. It's the overall design and characteristic quality of sound it produces. Trumpets for example are primarily of a "cylindrical" construction. A Bugle is of a "conical" design. they produce different characteristic quality of sound. Valves and rotors merely allow more accessible "notes" to be added to the Chromatic scale playable by the instrument. There are Bb Bugles. There are valveless, Field Trumpets.

AGREE...but, here we go again. Bugles vs Trumpets vs Key. Who cares? I like "G" because of the conical shape of the horn and the sound and coverage it produces out of doors. Sure...it doesen't slot perfect but, to me Bb is a crutch for slotting. Nothing beats a challange like a good ear. DONE. The End.