Shakos v Hats

Shakos.

At an Olympic tribute show in 96, I hid a lighter and aluminum sheet folded and with firegel spread on one side. Two of us stood behind a wall of three other plates standing during the olympic theme and I pulled out the paste and lit the guy's cymbal into a raging fire.

The band director never knew it was coming, and the fire was big enough to be seen from a blimp. Without shakos, this wouldn't have been possible. Shakos with chickens. That's the shiz. Thanks, Shako!

the only helmet i would ever wear would be a Phantom Regiment one. otherwise: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yay for ausies though!!!!

Another advantage of helmets:

You can eat your Cheerios out of them!

It must feel even more odd for the Bluecoats seeing Phantom in helmets with plumes. Afterall, Bluecoats wore their helmets 10 years before Phantom did. Bluecoats also wore the plume 15 years before Phantom. Believe it or not, at one time Phantom wore shakos!!!

Oh, and as I have been told before, like the Blue Stars, the Bluecoats own the patent on their helmet.

Elmo Blatch

bluecoats had the helmet one year before phantom did. and seeing as it took bluecoats 15 years to make finals, pr seems to be the ones who popularised the helmet.

Edited by mtsueuph

bluecoats had the helmet one year before phantom did. and seeing as it took bluecoats 15 years to make finals, pr seems to be the ones who popularised the helmet.

If memory serves me correct, at one time PR wore no head gear. I believe PR had a fire which destroyed the vast part of their equipment and uniforms. I believe they were inactive for a while (a few seasons maybe??), then re-emerged in wash'n wear "off the rack" black pants, and simple "off the rack" red spring cotton type (zipper front) jackets. I believe they were a parade corps at that point of re-emergence. Wonderful history of overcoming the odds.

Buzbees - all buzbees!

Thanks to the good people at corpreps for this picture from the 1974 Phantom Regiment.

pic045.jpg

So, admittedly, I was wrong. PR started wearing the helmets in 1975, three years after the official start of the Bluecoats. Now, you will not find a picture of this from 1972 or 1973 for the Bluecoats, but I guess you will just have to take the word of a drum corps dinosaur. Now, if I recall, there was a time when Bluecoats wore a black plume. The Bluecoats were a fantastic drum in the 1970s. Just because they did American Legion and VFW shows doesnt make them any less important, or as many would say in the period of 1973-1976, less popular. Please trust me, you do not want to start a flame war on drum corps history (DCI vs. VFW, etc.).

The Bluecoats did popularlize the helmet with plume, but if you ask any Blue Stars member, they will say that they made it popular as well. If find it disheartening that the winner in anything, over time, gets to write (or re-write) history.

Elmo Blatch