Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

lets try to get this back on track please...Its been a good thread.

As for the corps that have already switched to B flat,,,What brand of instruments did you buy and why???

Did the trumpet players get to choose thier own horns?or were they required to play what the line plays?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trumpets/Sops in G

Mello is F

Bari/Euph in Bb

Tuba/Contra in Bb

Interesting... Why? Especially mixing the G Sops in there?

This thread isn't heading downhill any longer. LOL I'd love to hear more from corps directors, brass arrangers, instructors etc. More please

Agreed. More, please!

What brand of instruments did you buy and why???

Chops is on Yamaha. We got a half sponsorship when we bought the drums. Now they're cutting us a good deal on the horns, too. So I gathered.

Did the trumpet players get to choose thier own horns?or were they required to play what the line plays?

:drool: Is it common in Bb lines for trumpet players to bring in their own horns? I know that when Chops announced the new horns at the banquet last November, there were a few people that were wondering this. I know it's up to the corps, but what is the norm? If a corps has a brand new line of Bb horns, which is more important: Keeping everyone on the new line or allowing people to play on their own horn?

When Lakeshoremen was starting up we decided to go with Bb horns since it would, hopefully, allow for trumpet players to bring their own horn and let the corps focus on purchasing the larger horns.

I think that the G sops have a more open sound than trumpets. Also a Double G on a sop is near effortless and it sounds much higher than it actually is. A double G on a trumpet is a totally different sound. The big difference besides key is the bore of the Sop vs Trumpet. Sops have more of a connacle bore than trumpets, giving a more round sound.

The other horns are more in tune and have less instance of spreading the sound. Combined I think they would make a killer line.

\I know it's up to the corps, but what is the norm? If a corps has a brand new line of Bb horns, which is more important: Keeping everyone on the new line or allowing people to play on their own horn?

I was hoping to hear from some of the corps on b flats about that.

I have heard different things.

I know most if not all the DIvision 1 jr corps use whatever the line is issued.A few of the larger dci corps allow thier soloist to bring in thier horn if they choose to if it blends well with the rest of the section.

Some corps have some really skilled trumpet players that prefer one brand or another.

trumpets come in a lot of different bore sizes and bell sizes.Mixing horns(trumpets) is really not as big of a deal as some people make it out becuase most everyone plays on a different mouthpiece so the point really becomes mute.

<<<SNIP>>>

My band kids work harder than my drum corps, but my drum corps blows the band off the field in terms of power and performance. Boith are dedicated and put their entire being into what they do.

From a performance perspective, I think the reason your corps blows the band off the field is maturity. I think we can all agree that with a possible few exceptions, a high school band is comprised of young people who have not had the opportunity to mature in terms of their musicianship. That's NOT A BAD THING! It's just something that will most always separate a group of high school age performers from an older and more astute group.

Agreed. More, please!

Chops is on Yamaha. We got a half sponsorship when we bought the drums. Now they're cutting us a good deal on the horns, too. So I gathered.

:laugh: Is it common in Bb lines for trumpet players to bring in their own horns? I know that when Chops announced the new horns at the banquet last November, there were a few people that were wondering this. I know it's up to the corps, but what is the norm? If a corps has a brand new line of Bb horns, which is more important: Keeping everyone on the new line or allowing people to play on their own horn?

I'm guessing G sops so they will cut through (i.e. "sizzle") in the high register.

I understand that the Yamaha Zeno(sp?) is a pretty decent Bb soprano bugle.

I own a 35 year old King Super 20. I wouldn't play that horn in a drum corps if they PAID me to do it. It isn't built for the job. I would be surprised if anyone with a Bach Strad will want to use it for a drum corps gig.

I understand that the Yamaha Zeno(sp?) is a pretty decent Bb soprano bugle.

Bite your tounge.Yamaha Zeno is a pretty decent Bb TRUMPET. :)

Actually the G soprano bugle is more cylindrical than a Bb marching trumpet. As all two and three valves sopranos have employed Bb trumpet proportion length and bell section, the lower key is usually achieved by adding about 9 inches of cylindrical tubing after the leadpipe and before the valves. Some of the designs make the bugle, primarily the Dynasty 3 valve, look like a cornet with the wrapping, but it remains clearly a trumpet. The sizzle we associate with the soprano bugle is a result of that adaptation. The more conical soprano brass instruments, cornet and flugelhorn, have a darker, mellow sound and little sizzle. The trumpet/soprano voice is the only cylindrically based instrument in the drum corps choir, as trombone-like baritones have not been utilized in many years.

Actually the G soprano bugle is more cylindrical than a Bb marching trumpet. As all two and three valves sopranos have employed Bb trumpet proportion length and bell section, the lower key is usually achieved by adding about 9 inches of cylindrical tubing after the leadpipe and before the valves. Some of the designs make the bugle, primarily the Dynasty 3 valve, look like a cornet with the wrapping, but it remains clearly a trumpet. The sizzle we associate with the soprano bugle is a result of that adaptation. The more conical soprano brass instruments, cornet and flugelhorn, have a darker, mellow sound and little sizzle. The trumpet/soprano voice is the only cylindrically based instrument in the drum corps choir, as trombone-like baritones have not been utilized in many years.

Jeff, I feel shame. You are completely correct, it is more cylindrical than a trumpet, I just wrote it down backwards. Thanks for the correction!