Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

Hmmm... Since I haven't received an answer yet, I'll open it up to all...

What section would you pull members from to make room for WWs? Because, unless the proposed membership increase passes (which will, IMO, lead to adding WW'a which will then need to be mic'd yadda yadda yadda), the room has to come from somewhere, right?

So... what section suffers? The hornline, guard, battery or pit?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently you don't know much about rap music. This is not AT ALL to flame you, but perhaps to help educate.

Go back to "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy and see how they use the "Funky Drummer" loop from James Brown. It's the same way jazz musicians like Parker "recycle" chord changes to make new tunes. Then sit down at a computer and try to duplicate the effect. It's a lot more involved than "hitting a button on a drum machine".

Also check out

this book to see how this tradition runs though all of African and African American culture.

This is not to say there is not a bunch of garbage rap. But there is outstanding and important music being made, too. :ramd:

Back to your regularly scheduled topic....

i see your point in that all rap music isnt bad and how some of it is involved than i thought. i can see how some rap would be good to use on the field. but does anyone know who the rapper was that was with the band? i would just like to know, hopefully it wasnt one that ive talked about.

thanks for the insight

i see your point in that all rap music isnt bad and how some of it is involved than i thought. i can see how some rap would be good to use on the field. but does anyone know who the rapper was that was with the band? i would just like to know, hopefully it wasnt one that ive talked about.

thanks for the insight

I wonder what they did, as well. I would have to fall in the "skeptical" camp about how this music could be adapted to the field. It's inherently a verbal and not an instrumental music--and I am not a pro-amper, pro-microphoner by any stretch.

BTW, I hope I was not too harsh jumping on your rap comments. There is admittedly so much trash in that genre right now that the good stuff often gets brushed to the side. But when it's creative and good, it's as powerful as any music.

but does anyone know who the rapper was that was with the band?

The rapper in Westfield's show was a member of their band. Heh, it wasn't like in the movie Drumline, when the "guest rapper" rolled onto the field. :P

Rap music doesn't really belong on the field, imo, sorry guys, I know there is some good stuff out there but let it remain on the stage where it should be.

Hmmm... Since I haven't received an answer yet, I'll open it up to all...

What section would you pull members from to make room for WWs? Because, unless the proposed membership increase passes (which will, IMO, lead to adding WW'a which will then need to be mic'd yadda yadda yadda), the room has to come from somewhere, right?

So... what section suffers? The hornline, guard, battery or pit?

well, if Hopkins has his way, the limit will be 175.

The "lack" is the difference. The difference that does make drum corps unique.

It's not like we are asking anyone to outlaw all marching bands. We are asking for TWO activities instead of one.

What's so bad about that?

That's why I prefer a separate division, for those that want to go that route.

Sorry, but IMO drum corps is not 'unique'...it's a MB with no WW, for the most part. It's great, of course, but it's not unique. It would be as great, and maybe better, with WW and the rest as well.

Mike

and has been stated on here many times. funny how that gets ignored

Of course, take a newbie to a band show amd they are not going to telll you to remove the WW and Electronics (if used) either.

That, IMO, is a totally specious argument.

Mike