DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

oookay... that didn't have anything to do with what i said really. but i still hope they find another place to compete for finals besides indianapolis

I doubt that BOA moves out of Indy anytime soon since their headquarters are now located there. There's also a new stadium in the works that should be much better than the RCA Dome.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that BOA moves out of Indy anytime soon since their headquarters are now located there. There's also a new stadium in the works that should be much better than the RCA Dome.

New stadium + sister-in-law living in Indy = Gadget at Indy DCI Regional. :D

Yea, I've seen that too. I'm really of the opinion that to a certain extent, you really have to "judge what you know". If that means you get a percussion guy on EA music, I'm fine with a tape that has a lot of percussion comments on it...as long as it's not a "drum tape". It's the same way I feel that even though I make a real effort to sample all sections, people that know we are going to expect good brass and full-ensemble comments...as long as I don't neglect percussion and woodwinds.

I do agree that you have to judge your caption...just have a little bit of maneuveriung room to do it...

Frankly, I'm far more concerned when I get an EA tape that's nothing more than a "tick tape". Or worse, a GE tape that's narration.

best ever was a GE music tape that described our drill to us.

"oh blind move trombones going backward"

that critique was fun..."so, how'd we play"

"oh very, very well"

"really? you didnt make a music comment on youe entire tape"

:P

what you're trying to do then is be percussion ensemble and percussion ge combined on one sheets. thats all well and good. however, in TOB, the percussion is adjudicated by judges already in place to discuss ensemble and effect concerns.

moving the percussion judge upstairs basically is redundant to what they do.

Except...and I don't know how it's billed in TOB...but in USSBA....the percussion score is used to award the 'Best Percussion' catagory...IMO the best percussion section has to include ensemble and effect...and if I had to lose one, I'd lose the field. You can get a decent idea from the stands of the performance issues, but you can NOT get a good evlaluation of the ensemble and esp the GE from the field.

Mike

really Mike? can you get a good readon a 200+ member band with a battery buried in th back?

tell me how, cause i dont know anyone who can.

really Mike? can you get a good readon a 200+ member band with a battery buried in th back?

tell me how, cause i dont know anyone who can.

That one may be difficult...relatively few bands are 200+ members in our area....you can't evaluate the true percussion performance at all from the field for anybody, when it comes to the effectiveness of the performance as it realtes to what the winds are doing...and the balance and other ensemble issues only heard from the box.

Mike

if you judge it like an IA caption, then there's no need for an upstairs read, because that's what the ensemble and GE music guys are for.

and today, even with a large group 3 band, if they're buried, you're screwed trying to make a call upstairs.

if you judge it like an IA caption, then there's no need for an upstairs read, because that's what the ensemble and GE music guys are for.

and today, even with a large group 3 band, if they're buried, you're screwed trying to make a call upstairs.

Yea, I hate that "burried in the back" syndrome. We had that problem with poor staging where I teach. Frankly, it's something that should affect your music scores, and moving perc to the box would go a long way towards forcing these drill writers to get the battery up front every once in a while.

Best of both worlds.

One on the field and one upstairs! :)

Hmmm. . . if offered free tix. . . expenses. . .

I'd go to BOA Grand Nationals. . . for the following reasons. . .

1) Greater variety of design

2) Greater number of shows to view (semis has 30 great groups)

3) Less homogenized products, as a result of not having over-exposure to each other all season

4) Better weather

5) I get to hear real jazz

6) Better colorguards overall

7) Entertained by at least 1/2 the groups

8) Sheer talent pool in both performance and design is larger than others

Why I'd go to DCI. . .

1) See my friends

2) See 2 or 3 corps who might be playing something melodic

3) Sheer muscle memory

4) Better after-hours party

5) Overall performance excellence of Top 4 or 5

Hmmm. . . bottom line. . . for me. . . BOA has a better product right now in terms of variety and entertainment. AND. . . it's all done by high school students. . . not college music majors, who I expect to be good.

Just thoughts.

Chuck Naffier

Fan of both. . . but not so much lately.