Star '92

I just read on another thread that people boo'ed the '92 Star of Indiana show, "American Variations."

WHY?

Heh, that was probably my thread. For Bill Cook's memoirs, go to starofindiana.com, click on history, then click on recollections. You can read some more about 1992 by clicking on that year, as well as the response to the booing by clicking on 1993

They may have been confused with Star 93. Its been said that show was booed off the field many times that season.

That show was never booed off the field. It was booed several times in retreat when it placed so high...placements that were fully justified, truth be told. But I never heard it booed during performance...of course that is anecdotal, but I did see it several times in person. And while sometimes the response was less than 'throwing babies', there was never any outright degradation of the corps going on.

Mike in OH

I can hear George W. Bush saying "anywun who bood star of india in 1992 is unamerican and unpatriotic" :P

Seriously though, Star of Indiana had a reputation of being the "fortunate sons" with their corporate sponsorship from Bill Cook, and this made some fans feel resentment towards them, regardless of the quality of their performances. Star was booed because some people felt that they were "buying a championship", not because of their show. The 1992 American Variations show I thought was pretty cool actually.

Now in 1993, people still didn't like Star, but now their Barber and Bartok show gave them even more reasons not to like them!

edit: removed an impersonation of Bush that could be breaking DCP policy ^0^

Edited by madscout96

Yes we were booed in 1992 as well as 1991 and 1993. Mostly just when we were in the Midwest but that is correct that show was booed. I do not ever remember being booed during the show just most times at retreat. The best part of 1992 was when we went to the East coast as we got much more response and respect out there than anywhere else.

1991 and 1993 I just do not think the shows were understood or appreciated at that time as much as they are now. Glad to see they get some positive feedback now:)

I just read on another thread that people boo'ed the '92 Star of Indiana show, "American Variations."

WHY?

From my recollection as an audience member, they were booed 99% of the time during retreat. That summer they were (obviously) very competitive. Every show I went to that Star was at, they won (including regionals, and the Preview of Champions). For whatever reason, people either didn't like that show (I wasn't a fan of it), or they just flat out didn't like Star. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the patriotic type of show they did, but their talent was unquesiontable. I could never bring myself to boo them, because I thought those members performed at championship level consistently (not that it's OK to boo corps for any reason, IMO). I think mostly the boos were out of disagreement that they had won a show. I remember the loudest I ever heard a crowd cheer that summer was at finals, when Cadets pulled ahead of them for second. The crowd was almost deafening when they announced Star was third! Of course, it got a little louder when it was announced Cavaliers won their first DCI title! But it was obvious that people did not like/appreciate Star that summer, or in '93. I wasn't as into drum corps before 92, so I don't now if fans were always underappreciative of Star, or if it was just those two years.

I'm not sure how long you've been following drum corps, but a lot of people disliked Star because they were perceived to be 'the best corps money can buy.' They were run with great business sense, and I think a lot of people either resented that, or were flat out envious of that.

As someone mentioned, there is a great write-up about that summer (and others) on Cook's web site. He talks about how the staff designed a show to be an instant croud pleaser, and they couldn't understand why people booed. It was like they went out of their way to entertain and win over the crowd, and they STILL weren't liked!

It's interesting that so many people are quick to name Star 1993 as one of the best corps/shows ever, but at the time I'd say that corps was far from appreciated. They had their fans, like every top corps, but I'd say that had as many, possibly more, people who didn't like them as liked them.

--

doug

• 5 months later...
But it was obvious that people did not like/appreciate Star that summer, or in '93. I wasn't as into drum corps before 92, so I don't now if fans were always underappreciative of Star, or if it was just those two years.

I think the backlash against Star really came to a head in 1991. I don't remember them being booed in 1990, which was one of my most favorite drum corps shows of all time. After winning in 1991, they were booed a lot until they left drum corps...and people continue to be surprised at the decision to leave.

Star sold out in 1992. After two masterful repertoires of 1990 and 1991 which weren't as popular as the very trite musical selections of the Cavaliers, they tried to get people to like them (anything contrary to that falls on deaf ears, so don't bother). Star did very well in 1992, because they were clean off the bat. In the end, they only had a good hornline. Watch the company front near the end. Why are people out of step at the world championships? Eesh!

I only came close to booing once-- it happened to be that year, but it was for the Color Guard award erroneously going to BD. Again, Star was masterful in 1990, 1991 and 1993. I have no beef with them, but that 1992 effort was hokey. And believe me, I've had a bigassed American flag waving on my porch LONG before 9/11.

Star sold out in 1992. After two masterful repertoires of 1990 and 1991 which weren't as popular as the very trite musical selections of the Cavaliers, they tried to get people to like them (anything contrary to that falls on deaf ears, so don't bother). Star did very well in 1992, because they were clean off the bat. In the end, they only had a good hornline. Watch the company front near the end. Why are people out of step at the world championships? Eesh!

I only came close to booing once-- it happened to be that year, but it was for the Color Guard award erroneously going to BD. Again, Star was masterful in 1990, 1991 and 1993. I have no beef with them, but that 1992 effort was hokey. And believe me, I've had a bigassed American flag waving on my porch LONG before 9/11.

I would agree that this was the pervailing opinion at the time. Some were also not pleased with the big murals, which were percieved to be very expensive (not sure that they were, but they were assumed to be), and were therefore "purchased GE".

I think it's hard to get across to those who didn't experience it how vilified this drum corps was. Most younger fans are gaga over Star and wish they could have seen them live, but at the time, they could do NOTHING without everyone questioning their motives.

I really like Star and their shows (the 92 hornline was gorgeous every night), but I could also see some validity to the arguments against them. I feel like 92 was an attempt to please eveyone with accessible music, and because that was kinda obvious, they were called out on it.

Star-hating existed since the beginnings of the group, too. Listen to the cheers in 1987 when it is announced that VK tied Star. Those cheers were as much against Star as they were for VK.