Movie Music in Corps

Doesn't THAT say it all about the state of the art? That a really good movie musical can be reduced t a twenty-minute live tab version just like that?

Woe to the republic.

There is also a full-length Broadway musical of B&B running. I am guessing that the one at Disney is just some of the best known songs and plot points of the film.

Don't forget...when a drum corps "does" a musical...they too are boiling down a 2-hour event into 11 minutes.

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that no one has tackled 'the Lord of the Rings'. Some of the soundtracks could have been written for a top 12 corps.

I agree....some intense music there! Also the sound track from King Kong sounds interesting too. I think it's the same person who did LOTR.

Movie Music in the Top 5 through recent history -

2005 - Cadets (Twisted Nerve, Bernard Herrmann), Phantom Regiment (An American in Paris, George Gershwin)

2004 - Cavaliers (Goldeneye, Eric Serra; Hovercraft Chase, David Arnold; Welcome to Cuba, David Arnold; Paris and Bond, David Arnold; Iced, Inc., David Arnold)

2003 - Phantom Regiment (The Lord's Prayer, Miklos Rosza), SCV (One Man Show, Jeff Beal)

2002 - The Cadets (The Place Where Dreams Come True, James Horner), Boston Crusaders (Theme to The American President, Marc Shaiman)

2001 - The Cadets (Vide Cor Meum, Hans Zimmer)

2000 - Blue Devils (A Night Piece for Saxophone and Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann; Prelude to On Dangerous Ground, Bernard Herrmann; Prelude to Psycho, Bernard Herrmann; Scene D'Amour, Bernard Herrmann; The Wild Ride, Bernard Herrmann)

1999 - As far as I can tell, this is the last time movie music *wasn't* in the top 5.

Mike

Edited by MikeN

1999 - As far as I can tell, this is the last time movie music *wasn't* in the top 5.

Well ... there was a (slightly corny) movie version of "Jesus Christ Superstar." Does that count?

:blink:

And yeah, I think that a show of Howard Shore's "Lord of the Rings" music could be absolutely superb. There are enough different themes to provide plenty of variety, too. Out of the, what?, ten hours or so of music from the movies there's got to be 11 minutes that'd work for corps!

I love Skyryders and all these shows, but all these shows, except OZ, were written for the stage (later made into movies.)

Wizard of Oz was a scrore writen for the screen, and the best movie-music Drum Corp show EVER!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed our Oz production.

"J.C. SuperStar" was not music written for the screen.

SCV "Phantom of the Opera" was not movie music (before someone names that show). :blink:

Edited by Cop

Cadets 95 -- All John Williams -- The Rievers, Born on the 4th of July, Far & Away, 1941.

I would love to see someone top12 do War of the Worlds. I just got the soundtrack today for my birthday and It rocks socks man!

Its another John Williams great!

I agree....some intense music there! Also the sound track from King Kong sounds interesting too. I think it's the same person who did LOTR.

Howard Shore wrote LOTR.