Meals on tour

tran

:blink: Hey everyone I need some help. My parents are coming on tour with us and they dont know what would be the best meal to eat after a hard working day. Last year we ate a lot of ham sandwiches. My parents have would also like to know what is the cheapest way to feed about 96 people. If you have any responses that might help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Taco in a Bag!

Get all the ingredients you need to make tacos EXCEPT the shells. Then buy a bunch of those individual size bags of Doritos.

Crunch up the chips in the bag... then dump your taco meat, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, whatever you want right into the bag. Eat with a fork.

Cheap, easy to make, even easier to clean up.

Taco in a Bag!

Get all the ingredients you need to make tacos EXCEPT the shells. Then buy a bunch of those individual size bags of Doritos.

Crunch up the chips in the bag... then dump your taco meat, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, whatever you want right into the bag. Eat with a fork.

Cheap, easy to make, even easier to clean up.

Taco in a bag...Is that anything like "Pizza in a Cup?" :P

Taco in a bag...Is that anything like "Pizza in a Cup?" :P

I love pizza in a cup

At Southwind we always tried to make 1 hot meal a day sometimes 2. We did everything from chicken wings to hamburgers, and one night we were fortuneate enough to have our dinner brought to us by Outback Steakhouse and they brought us hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. We also had alot of former members and former members parents bring us goodies. All else fails, spaghetti and lasagna is cheap to make in large quantities. Also if they are serving vegetarians I introduced a dish that my grandmother would make and our vegetarians loved it. Take fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and a block of mozzerella cheese, and throw it together with some extra virgin olive oil and fresh black pepper, once even threw in some Italian seasonings and it was even better.

I love pizza in a cup

Is this a joke or for real?

Is this a joke or for real?

Hahaha, it's quite real my friend. Along with trashbag salad and taco in a bag, pizza in a cup is a great item if you're trying to eat on the go or are sharing food with another corps, or if you're running low on the green stuff.

when I was at Crown, I really enjoyed the tater tot/pizza casserol thing... looks like you could make alot, and it be easy to clean.

~>conner

Lets see, Yamato's food cart usually had ribs, steak, fried chicken, meatloaf, baked potato, and so on with the usual sides of fruit, green stuff and rice and other stuff. Cold cuts, grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, omlets, french toast, pan cakes.... man, now I'm getting hungry :ph34r:

Sorry, that probably didn't help :P

But...

One corps I worked with had a book called "How to Cook For 50 People" or something like that. It had some good stuff in there. I would highly recommend checking it out.

taco bars have always been a favorite :)

Monday is Red Beans and Rice! The secret is to let the beans soak overnight. Both for flavor & to reduce the, hmmm, side effects. Multiply both recipes as needed, just remember the beans will almost double in size after soaking, and produce @ 1.5 - 1.75 that origional volume after cooking, but you have to allow room in the pot for water evaporation. One is set up as a crock-pot recipe, but can be done on the stove with more water. If you do it on the stovetop, when you multiply the recipe do NOT multiply the water the same amount. Rule of thumb on that is enough to keep the pot full. (That's one reason this meal stretches so well - just keep adding water. :ph34r: ) Also, meat is kind of a "whatever you have" deal, and often adjustable more by budget than taste. NOTE: There are as many RB&R recopies as there are cooks.

The less work version:

2 lbs red beans

1 lb ham, sausage, or ground beef - scraps & bones are good as long as you retrieve the bone before serving - toss in any leftover regardless of what kind. More is better, less is acceptable

1 bag 10 oz of seasoning mix (onions, peppers, & celery) - Dehydrated seasoning can be substituted as long as it is soaked a few hours first, but frozen is better if possible.

Water as needed

Seasoning to taste - i.e. salt, pepper (black and red), garlic powder, Tony Chachere's, anything you can think of to toss in

Soak beans in water overnight, keeping covered with water; drain and rinse. Roughly chop meat and brown it. Put beans, meat, and seasoning in a large pot with @ 6-8c water - enough water to cover everything and then a little extra. Cook on high until boils then medium for a couple hours until beans are soft. Keep an eye on it to stir & add water as needed. Squash some of the beans (@ 1/3) until consistence is a thin paste with lumps. (This is the real secret.) Serve over rice, preferably white, but any kind will do in a pinch.

The more work version:

2 lbs red beans

2 lbs sausage

1 lb ham

1 lb ground beef

2 cups chopped onion

1 cup chopped green pepper

1 cup chopped celery

2 tbsp minced garlic

1/2 cup parsley

Soak beans in water overnight, keeping covered with water; drain and rinse. Put in a crock-pot with 1c water. Roughly chop sausage and sauté it, and then sauté the green pepper, onion, celery, and garlic (don’t let it burn). Put all in crock-pot and add the last ingredients. Pour in enough water to cover everything. Cook on high for approximately 4 hours for soft beans; cut back time for firmer beans. Leave cover of crock-pot cracked a bit to allow for evaporation to bring out the flavor better. Squash some of the beans until consistence is a thin paste with lumps. Serve over rice, preferably white, but any kind will do in a pinch.

From the bean bag, Camellia's Recipe, From the seasoning, Zataran's Recipie. Commentary on missing them with recipe

I'm going to make a plug for beans in the nutrition area. As a registered dietitian, I've learned that there's no such thing as a miracle food, one that provides all the nutrients needed in one serving. However, in my assessment, beans come pretty close. First, they provide energy in the form of carbohydrates and protein. The carbohydrates pair up with whopping amounts of fiber (ranging from 4-9 grams per half-cup serving), a much needed component in Western diets. Fiber can lower cholesterol, keep the gut functioning smoothly, and can help control blood glucose levels in people with diabetes.

With as much protein (7 grams) in a 1/2 cup of beans as in an ounce of meat, legumes can provide many tasty options for meatless meals. Be aware, though, that beans do not contain all the essential amino acids, like meat does, needed for protein-building. Beans lack the amino acid methionine. Overcome this shortage by serving beans with meat, eggs, cheese, or grain products such as corn, rice, and wheat. All of these do contain methionine, and when paired with beans, will complete the set of essential amino acids.

Source