We Have Met the Enemy - And They is Us?

I don't agree with this statement. I don't think winning, from my experiences as a marching member and now a staff member, is the overriding goal in picking a corps to audition for. I feel kids pick the corps they think is the most "bad-###". I think they want to become part of a bad ### corps, whether they are in first or tenth. Each kid will have a different definition of what this is. Sure there are ring seekers...more power to them. But I think the kids today still want to become part of a legend or an identity...not fill their hands with rings.

M

That was my EXACT mentality when I was deciding on which corps to try out for, honestly you couldn't put it any better than that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like junior corps a lot; just got my finals tickets in yesterday, but winning has become the main focus of so many top corps. If I had a kid and wanted them to march I'd encourage them to go to a Div 2/3 corps for a couple years. I bet you money, those kids in Div 2/3 know everyone of their members that march. Go ask a Cavalier, Cadet or a Scout that. They know who is in their section, but that's about it.

Drum corps is no longer about the experience of corps, but the experience of competition and winning. These are just my opinions which I have formed touring with Div 1 corps for the past 13 years.

I don't really think you can make a blanket statement like that. Yes, you may have toured with div I corps for 13 years, but have you been in one recently? I can't say I ever knew all of the other 134 members in the corps, but I knew the vast majority of them.

But then again, I know there are some corps who may like what you described. I just know that my corps was not like that, not in any way at all.

Then again, that might just be a fraternal thing.

I don't really think you can make a blanket statement like that. Yes, you may have toured with div I corps for 13 years, but have you been in one recently? I can't say I ever knew all of the other 134 members in the corps, but I knew the vast majority of them.

But then again, I know there are some corps who may like what you described. I just know that my corps was not like that, not in any way at all.

Then again, that might just be a fraternal thing.

I marched A-60 and while I may have known the 1st name of most people, I can honestly say there were people I marched with for a minimum of 2 years and I don't think I said more than 5 words to them in that entire time. So just because you "know" somebody, that doesn't translate into instant conraderie.

I bet you money, those kids in Div 2/3 know everyone of their members that march. Go ask a Cavalier, Cadet or a Scout that. They know who is in their section, but that's about it.

I doubt this very much.

I marched two years (in a corps that finished 6th and 2nd in Division I) and I knew everyone in the corps and every staff member.

Greg

The corps that really perform well together know each other very well.

I have been around both kinds, the factionalized ones and the ones in which everybody hangs out and are generally cool with each other...both exist but I think there are more of the latter, rather than the former.

Also, my new policy is to not buy souvies from the DCI power houses. Does BD really need my money? Maybe they do, but not as much as ANY DIV 2/3 corps. I do make an exception by supporting my alma matter, but thats it.

I always feel bad when I wade into the souvie area and everyone is crowded around the stands for the big two corps in appearance while the smaller corps -- who likely need the sales the most -- are devoid of browsers. Anyone who's ever worked one of these care to share what this is like? I actually find it embarassing and a little heartbreaking :(

Just so everyone understands my feelings on DCI. My biggest disagreement with DCI is the amount of publicity given to the big guns vs the other corps:

Also after two(?) threads in the Div II/III forum and seeing what little response was given, it appears that Div II/III interest is lower than I thought even on DCP. Man, I hope I'm really wrong on that. The Div IV thread gives me hope that people are thinking outside of the "leave it to DCI" box in coming up with new ideas.

right here you answered some of your own question. And, as I stated before, a big part of the problem is D2/3 themselves, because as a group, they have no real marketing strategy besides "hey, we're here too"

In a word ... WIN. Kids wanta win, boards want their corps to win, to sell souvies and make money you gotta win. It's all about winning. The corps with most money, get the top staffs, top kids, and they produce great shows ... but money and winning is what junior has become.

"Winning Isn't Everything?":

Well said. :laugh:

Elphaba

"Winning Isn't Everything?":

Well said. :laugh:

Elphaba

Elphie,

That's a great soundbyte but it doesn't explain how kids in corps that have won in the recent past claim the BEST year they experienced in their corps was a year they DIDN'T win.. even though they marched both years (or multiple years)

Go figure. :) I don't believe all kids want to win. I believe a lot of them do.. but more of them just want to have a great experience and push their limits -- sometimes doing that wins. The kids go where they expect they can find that.

Nessa

WWE

Edited by ScribeToo