A Soprano is a voice, not an instrument...........

In the beginning days of DCI, brass folks didn't call sections by the instrument, but by the "voice""

Soprano Voices

Mid Voices

Baritone Voices

Euphonium Voices

Contra Voices

It referred to the voice's "pitching" in the line. The horns were all G pitched instruments that were called "bugles", which is funny because the Webster definition of a bugle is a NON-VALVED intrument used to make military calls in battle, etc.

"G bugles" were merely, in the case of 2-valve "sopranos", 2-valve trumpets pitched in the key of G. SOme purists will argue that the horns were bugles because they had a conical bore, but keep in mind cornets for years have had a conical bore and they ARE NOT called bugles........

Hope that helps.............. :angry:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<personal attack removed: bluestarcontra> The back of my jacket is embroidered Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. Last time I looked they still are. When I marched we were taught to respect and honor the tradition of the drum & bugle corps. Oh and bye the way drum & bugle corps existed decades before DCI and valves were added to the bugles as the activity grew. In my day we were proud to be members of a drum and bugle corps and nothing would get you a dirtier look than calling us a marching band. In my discussions with recent members I still feel that pride. <personal attack removed: bluestarcontra>

Flame away!!!

Paul

Edited by bluestarcontra

"In the very beginning..." Drum Corps started after WWI (yes as in World War One) using Army surplus valveless bugles. Few years later the first valve was added but was mounted horizontal so the horn still looked like a valveless bugle when held. 85 years and a straight line progression later the horns used by todays corps are the very band looking 3 vertical valves.

And it wasn't until the 2 vertical valves were added in the late 70s that the corps and band horns started to look alike. No way in #### a person mistook you for a band member when they saw the horn. Actually introduced some people to corps when they asked about the wierd looking horn. Today people see the 3 upright valves, figure you're with some kind of band and don't even talk to you.

Websters knowledge of the almost 100 year history of Drum Corps sucks. ^0^

And I agree with Paul - Tradition Baby :angry:

PS - I have a copy of Ludwigs Drum Corps Manual (1930). Ludwig was introducing the octave lower (valveless) bugle, calling it a Bar-o-tone bugle. Think this was the first type of horn different from the original Army surplus bugles.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

In the beginning days of DCI, brass folks didn't call sections by the instrument, but by the "voice""

Soprano Voices

Mid Voices

Baritone Voices

Euphonium Voices

Contra Voices

It referred to the voice's "pitching" in the line. The horns were all G pitched instruments that were called "bugles", which is funny because the Webster definition of a bugle is a NON-VALVED intrument used to make military calls in battle, etc.

"G bugles" were merely, in the case of 2-valve "sopranos", 2-valve trumpets pitched in the key of G. SOme purists will argue that the horns were bugles because they had a conical bore, but keep in mind cornets for years have had a conical bore and they ARE NOT called bugles........

There's no such thing as "euphonium voices," nor "contra voices." Yes, soprano comes from the fact that it's the top part, just like alto is used in some corps for the name of the midvoice section (especially those corps where a mix of different instruments is used instead of just one kind of instrument) and there used to be tenor bugles and bass-baritones. Soprano has just stuck around as a matter of tradition, while the other instruments have changed sufficiently to warrant dropping the older monikers, or become entire different instruments. I still call Bb lead and bass voices "sopranos" and "contras" because I don't think there is sufficient difference between the G and Bb models to start using a different name.

And the horns that made the biggest showing in the first drum corps were not conically bored; they were "field trumpets" after all, the most recent model used by the military before radio rendered signalling bugles and drums obsolete.

Soprano Voices

Mid Voices

Baritone Voices

Euphonium Voices

Contra Voices

I actually do not think the term "voices" was used quite at that time (early 70's). Just plain old:

Sops

Mellos

Frenchies

Baris

Contra

We (The Kilties) refer to our line (and have for several years) as the brass ensemble and divide it (in general) as the:

upper choir

middle choir

lower choir

b**bs

keep in mind cornets for years have had a conical bore and they ARE NOT called bugles.......

Keep in mind the soprano bugle for years was called a soprano. It's all about tradition.

I guess a lot of corps these days don't teach that.

Edited by ravedodger

but the instruments are still trumpets, regardless, correct?

so that means calling it a soprano, or a trumpet would be right, anyway.

~>conner

cornets for years have had a conical bore and they ARE NOT called bugles........

Cornets are not called trumpets either. The point of the bugle was to project signals outdoors over great distances to the troops. The bugle designation came to mean any instrument derived from a true bugle that was specifically designed to project outdoors. People stuck all kinds of valves and things on it but that didn't make it a trumpet. That made it a more versatile bugle. No one would consider a bugle an indoor instrument, while a trumpet or cornet is historically optimized for the concert hall or band shell.

Marching Bb instruments are a hybrid, applying bugle characteristics to what were formerly indoor trumpets. It's a break in the lineage. An infusion from a different bloodline. To some, an impurity to be cast out. To others just another horn. The question is, how does it sound?

Incidentally, the word soprano can designate a voice OR an instrument, soprano saxophone for instance, as well as contra bassoon, baritone horn, etc. etc. Derr... got music education?

Incidentally, the word soprano can designate a voice OR an instrument, soprano saxophone for instance, as well as contra bassoon, baritone horn, etc. etc. Derr... got music education?

I think someone just got #####-slapped!!!!! B)

One more post from a bando poser. The back of my jacket is embroidered Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. Last time I looked they still are. When I marched we were taught to respect and honor the tradition of the drum & bugle corps. Oh and bye the way drum & bugle corps existed decades before DCI and valves were added to the bugles as the activity grew. In my day we were proud to be members of a drum and bugle corps and nothing would get you a dirtier look than calling us a marching band. In my discussions with recent members I still feel that pride. It’s only the bando posers who frequent this forum who don’t understand.

Flame away!!!

Paul

Well said, Paul!!!

Having marched and taught in both drum corps, and marching band...

I'm with you!!!!!!

Jim