Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

I don't know if it's actually true about there being no rivalrys nowadays.

I was at a rehearsal in Allentown in let me see, 2002 maybe? The corps I was watching had members that were definately talking about a corps that they were going back and forth with during the season and I believe there may have been a mutual thing going on!

Of course, nothing like the days of old with BAC & IC/27, etc.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say a rivalry is between phantom blue devils cavies and cadets cause they are switching pots every year

There wasn't a "rivalry" in so much of a formal sense. But you better believe we were VERY aware of each other the two summers I marched. Add in the Ohio thing (we saw a LOT of each other) and you get the idea.

I think these things can be fluid from year to year--dependinng on the competition a corps is presenting you with that particular season.

I didn't march until later, but I heard that there was some kind of mild rivalry, probably for the reasons you said-- both are from Ohio, and for a while the two corps weren't that far from each other competively. Someone told me that Glassmen and Bluecoats used to try to out-wait the other at retreat before calling a "ready, front" so they could be the last corps to yell (the "G!" and "Bloo!", respectively). I don't know if that's true, since the people who told me didn't even march during the early to mid-90s. Ever hear of anything like that?

Of course, nothing like the days of old with BAC & IC/27, etc.

yeah, it speaks a lot to the strength of that rivalry that Charley Poole, while being a member of the DCI hall of fame, is not a member of the crusaders hall of fame because he "defected" to 27th.

Someone told me that Glassmen and Bluecoats used to try to out-wait the other at retreat before calling a "ready, front" so they could be the last corps to yell (the "G!" and "Bloo!", respectively). I don't know if that's true, since the people who told me didn't even march during the early to mid-90s.

I hadn't ever heard Glassmen yell anything during retreat, when did that end?

Though it seemed to have dissipated in 2005, Bluecoats/Boston had a big, big rivalry from 99-04. Not just because on tour the scores would flip-flop almost nightly- there was some genuine Ohio State/Michigan-caliber animosity going on. Helped spice tour up a little bit. :blink:

Last year we very rarely saw eachother, something that I think helped to ease the tension a little bit. Most years we would gun for being ahead of Boston. If we were 11th, it was ok, as long as they were 12th. lol This year we mostly gunned for the Blue Devils. I don't recall hearing Boston even mentioned on the field. Having most of the 99-01 vets aged out probably helped too. The people who really remember the bad years between the corps (Stillwater, MN 2000 anyone? yikes....) are mostly gone. Myself now included.

The show in Stillwater was certainly something. I don't ever remember experiencing that kind of tension anywhere.

Edited by Maestro767

Anyone old enough to remember or perhaps heard of the epic fight in Bridgeport, Ct 1968 between Boston and St Lucy's? Or Boston and Blessed Sacrament 1964 Pittsfield, Ma. How about Blessed Sacrament and Blue Rock 1968 Morristown, NJ or Blessed Sacrament and Garfield 1964 Clifton, NJ to name just a few. Now. these were rivalries. Not just a 1 year rivalry but rivalries that went on for years. And there were many others I am sure.

Peace, Joe