Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound like I'm hatin on the younger ones...but it seems like the older members have a better perspective of which corps were rivals.

It takes more then a season of trading scores to be a great rival (IMhumbleO).

Since when?

I heard a rumor somewhere that the Glassmen and Crossmen were rivals. Thats why its not in bold.

All rumors are not in bold.

Do you notice a patern?

1985...Cadets

1990...Cadets, Cavaliers 2nd

1995...Cavaliers, Cadets 2nd

2000...Cadets/Cavaliers

2005...Cadets, Cavaliers 2nd

2010...Cavaliers?

I hate to sound like I'm hatin on the younger ones...but it seems like the older members have a better perspective of which corps were rivals.

It takes more then a season of trading scores to be a great rival (IMhumbleO).

I'm not so sure that it's a matter of perspective, but more the way corps was "back in the day"

(This is simply an observation....not a "It Was Better Then" post!!!)

Back when us "Older Guys" marched, corps were much more localized, with many members coming from the same nieghborhood, churches, schools etc....

It's been said elswhere that the old corps could be compared to gangs, and although that is quite a stretch, there probably is some truth to that statement. In some of the larger cities that supported several, if not many corps, the competition was almost a form of "Turf Warfare" You could find corps that just plain didn't like each other. Remember, this is when corps were a year round activity with most members hanging out together, going to school together and performing all year, so hard feelings could develop quite easily.

I think with the way that members come from a much larger area now, that "gang mentality" has disappeared for the most part. That I feel, is a good thing!!

coorelation does not equal causation!

forgive me, I didn't read every post prior, but did you forget Regiment and Cavaliers?

I wouldn't describe it as a BD and PR rivalry - more of a mutual respect for what the other group can do, esspecially considering that they usually play so few shows together.

I heard a rumor somewhere that the Glassmen and Crossmen were rivals. Thats why its not in bold.

All rumors are not in bold.

I was a member of the Glassmen, and I've never heard that rumor. Not everything you hear is true. :P

Rivalries:

Mandarins vs. Pioneer

:worthy: I never heard this last year, or anyone even talking about it. I never considered the Manderins a rivalry.