Cadets 2006

I have no doubt that the cadets will field a great corps this summer, but I have never noticed this type of posting from any of the top five-six corps. I just find it strange.

It happens. Even with the top corps.

If you click here, you'll see the Blue Devils still have spots available for their hornline.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few comments on filling rosters.

It is typical for many of the top 5 corps (and all others) to have trouble finding the right people for the right spot. For a top-tier corps like the Cadets, it may be that they simply have not found the right person with the right skills for whatever position they are searching for. Understand that some corps may audition 100 people for horns and take 58, leaving roughly 8 spots open for others. They will then search for those others rather than take someone not quite qualified just yet.

Over the last 20 years or so this has been pretty typical procedure for the Cadets and others. Just because you show up does not guarantee a spot, and just because the next best player quits also does not guarantee a spot. In some corps you must earn a spot, where with others you simply need to be there, work hard, and commit to the team.

Just as an example, in 1992 the Cadets started the season with roughly 52 or so brass on the field. Now I do not know if this was due to injury, late start, or what, but they certainly finished strong that season.

In the competitive world of the top 5 or so, you will find that it is better to find the right people for the gig than to simply fill the open holes.

Jonathan Willis

Well yea, actually it does sound like they are having trouble filling spots. If they had 18 try out for 10 spots and they took 9. That would mean that their roster is not filled, for whatever reason. Maybe the talent was not there or whatever, but they have not filled their roster. And BTW the posting said "baritone and snare PLAYERS". It could be read as many snare players are needed. I have no doubt that the cadets will field a great corps this summer, but I have never noticed this type of posting from any of the top five-six corps. I just find it strange.

Don

Actually, this is typical. It has happened pretty much every year. Just cause a corps has a spot open doesn't mean they cant fill it. Some corps want you to come back to see how committed you are. Example, Cadets had 18 snares tryout and picked 9........ thus far. it did not say they cut the other 9. That tells me that they are willing to take another looksey at the next camp and see which of those 9 show the most imrovement. From that, they could make final decision. It's all part of the process. Cream always rises to the top, all in due time my friend.

I was at Cadets camp this past wekend, no weakness's in this corps!!!!!!!!!!!! It was pretty amazing to hear the horn line and drum sound this good in January. Looks like they are picking up right where they left off last yr. I can't wait to hear and see the rest of the show. It sounds like some pretty interesting things are happining in this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE THOSE CADETS :rock:

Donna