What Dont we want to see this year

I want to hear and see great music and visuals performed by highly talented young people, who have amazed me year in and year out since I started marching at age 10 1/2 in 1964.

Very well put, thank you!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - amazing how one "No Amps" immediately brings up the Dark Ages and G rants.....

Always does. There are those who insist that if you are against one change you must be against all changes. And then they call us narrow minded.

2006 the year Cadets guard grabs the Mic's from the pit And they all yell....

(whith no equipment in hand....)

"Spin, Spin, Spin, Dip and Tosssssss."

" and Catch!"

ME----> :rolleyes:

For those who think that drumspeak or anything else like that can't be done....check out Cavies 02. Not necessarily drum speak, but a cool effect none the less.

I don't want to see......

1) People naming champions in the winter because corps are playing "cool" music.

2) Malaguena.

3) any other classics that have been way too many times. I don't mind corps doing music that's already been done, but there are some things that have been done too many times.

4) Gas prices going up more....I have to get to Boston from Ithaca....that's a lot of gas money, come on government, cut me some slack.

5) have to agree with the ugly guard uniforms. They take away from the show visually I think.

6) people complaining about amps whether they're for them or against them :sshh: (sorry guys. we all know it's old and unfortunately they're around to stay, mightas well give it up)

Didn't see this one, explaination please....

PS - amazing how one "No Amps" immediately brings up the Dark Ages and G rants.....

These discussions usually take on the "all or nothing" carachter of an NRA or NARAL discussion forum.

But here's my list:

No vehicle accidents or individual medical crises during the course of the DCI/DCA season.

More corps switching to Bb horns because they produce a brighter sound (thanks to an old Miami soloist and member of the Soul Music HoF for getting it through my thick drummer's head) AND because they are more economical.

The judicious use of amplification in the pit, allowing it to be moved to creative locations on, behind, or under the field.

Ballet in the guard that rivals the Bolshoi.

No shows copied from Bonzo the Chimp or Broken Promises High Schools.

More Shostakovich, Wagner, Khachaturian, Glass, Barber, Ellis, and Rich. Less "maybe drum corps will play this because no one else wants to".

Drumspeak only allowed in Toyota truck commercials followed by meteor strikes.

Acoustic ensemble vocals if they fit the program.

Amplified singing or narration not coming anywhere near finals so it will go away for good.

Dan Acheson announcing the annual DCA Alumni Showcase b**bs

Don't want to see:

Rained out shows

Corps not making the field this year because of problems ($$$$ or otherwise)

Any DCA/DCI pot shots at each other

Any Div I/II/III post shots at each other

Just the Div I corps being talked about on the TV broadcast

And as long as we're on the TV subject: Don't want to see too many commercials.....

Do want to see

Dan Acheson in the bar after the DCA Alumni show, I'll even buy sodas if that's his drink of choice

More DCA/DCI co-operation and discussion (We're all in it together folks)

Don't want to see:

Wanna-be shows - You know what I'm talking about. It's when Corps X decides Cavies or Cadets or whomever was successful with a certain sort of program, so Corps X will do one too, no matter how incongruous.

Huge props that aren't really integrated in the show and that require two (or more) guard members to haul them around for the entire summer.

Don't want to hear:

What some yuck is surely going to say at semi-finals when whichever senior or alumni corps performs. No disrespect to that corps, but not only will it be disrepectful for him or her to say so, it's also not true that the corps on the field is "what drum corps should be" as if the junior corps that just performed were not.

HH

What I don't want to see this year in DCI...

Narrow-minded fans who who want drum corps to revert back to the dark ages of G bugles, no dancing in the guard, no grounded pit, predictable and "the same old" music, no amps, and basically no changes.

The DARK AGES of G BUGLES? It was the DARK AGES because of G BUGLES?

Tell that to Star of Indiana....

The DARK AGES of G BUGLES? It was the DARK AGES because of G BUGLES?

Tell that to Star of Indiana....

...who were one of the biggest advocates for the switch to multi-key brass. And had they been around when the rule finally did pass, you can be sure they would have been at the forefront of adpoting that particular change.

Just sayin'