Best Sceaming Sopranos (trumpets) ever

I'd bet renegades and cabs will get plenty of votes (actually some of the really classic Bucs shows did too (60's 70's)), but what shows (Corps and Year) stick out in your mind as having the most phenominal screamers (Either soloist or sections). I posted something similar to this in the Junior section a while back.

Is there any prerequisite for playing IN TUNE? That would be nice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any prerequisite for playing IN TUNE? That would be nice.

Good call!

With that in mind, I'll bring up Hunter Moss (again) with Spirit and now with CV. Not only is he consistently in tune in all ranges and volumes on the horn, he has an amazing tone and control in every register.

Listen to CV recordings over the past 8 years and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know where he'll rank when history is written, but let's not forget Mike DiMeo (Brigadiers). As someone once said, he is a freak of nature! And, the reason he probably wasn't mentioned yet in this thread was that he didn't sound like a screamer. That's because his sound was so full in the upper register it didn't sound like he was playing high. His face didn't krinkle up when playing a double-C so he didn't even look like a typical screamer. Let me assure you he's a screamer nonetheless.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

The Caballeros have had there fair share of screamers over the years.... I mean we all remember Ponzo, Curt Hawkins, Chris Bernotas, Gene Marada and years of just great soloists. However what you don't know is that we have had a lot of unsung heroes. They are usually the second person in the duet and always have the higher note.... check it out. Over the years a few have really stood out. People like Adam Berger, Gordito, Angel Rivera, Christian Orrico, Russ Batch, The most consistant Flamenco Cha-Cha soloist John Gerdes. Now add in people like Drew Wilke and The almost legendary John Malloy and you are looking a great lead sop line not to mention all members of Cabs 06. So If I were you I wouldn't miss the opportunity to come hang out with some of the best screamers in DCA and come fill out the remaining spots in our hornline.

(ok I would say that's a shameless plug, but there's no shame in in the history of the Caballeros, become part of the legend and maybe even leave your own mark or note rather in drum corps history.)

Check us out http://www.cabs.org

Adam

That's because you guys were the ONLY horn players we had that night! LOL

1998 Bushwackers, Bridgeport, CT.

Durand Thomas

Dennis Argul

Brian Law

Chris Kilian

Screamin' baby.

Nuff' said.

b**bs

The Caballeros have had there fair share of screamers over the years.... I mean we all remember Ponzo, Curt Hawkins, Chris Bernotas, Gene Marada and years of just great soloists. However what you don't know is that we have had a lot of unsung heroes. They are usually the second person in the duet and always have the higher note.... check it out. Over the years a few have really stood out. People like Adam Berger, Gordito, Angel Rivera, Christian Orrico, Russ Batch, The most consistant Flamenco Cha-Cha soloist John Gerdes. Now add in people like Drew Wilke and The almost legendary John Malloy and you are looking a great lead sop line not to mention all members of Cabs 06. So If I were you I wouldn't miss the opportunity to come hang out with some of the best screamers in DCA and come fill out the remaining spots in our hornline.

(ok I would say that's a shameless plug, but there's no shame in in the history of the Caballeros, become part of the legend and maybe even leave your own mark or note rather in drum corps history.)

Check us out http://www.cabs.org

Adam

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!

Early 2K brigs were loaded. Roland, Alex, Mark, Scott, Gene, Andre, Paul B., Ronnie D, Dave Keck, Scott M,. Dave P., and on and on...

Donny

Didnt mean to forget my man CJ...miss him alot.

Donny