Blue Devils 1993

i had 82,83 and 93 madison on cd and 93 devils too until the (now ex) mrs threw them, but thats a different story. I was only missing 82 on dvd too. Bad schoolboy error

82 rules and some of the solo work makes my hair stand on end but 83 is my favourite to listen to.

The 93 versions are great to listen to and are awesome in their own right but i wish i could listen to 83 again!

I would choose 82/83 Madison over 93 Blue Devils.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying those hornlines were better than BD, but the arrangements and the power of those lines just made you want to jump up and scream. 93 BD was incredible, but for a different reason. Strawberry wasn't a stand up and shout tune like it was with Madison.

Simply a matter of style.

The 83 Madison hornline was actually pretty good....I think their opener may be where their placement came from. That thing sounded like it was a ##### to play. I saw them many times in 83 and they were on fire.

Now....the 82 hornline....that line was incredible. How can you go wrong with Slaughter and Strawberry. I saw them in Denver that year, we must've went on early, but I can vividly recall the sopranos slamming those valves down during that opening trill followed by the hair splitting power chord.

THAT WAS LOUD!

Rob, I could not have said it better. My sentiments exactly! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yikes! I still have my paintbrush in storage somewhere. :sshh:

i thought the paint brushes were cool.........I liked them much better than the dice. At one time (Maybe they still have them) BD's souvie truck used the dice to display items for sale.

Triple Forte

Question

Wasn't 93 BD the first year Gino Cipriani was on staff ? If so what was he like that year considering what he has done since......

if not I apologize for breaking topic

No, it was his 3rd year on staff with the A corps and he was also on B Corps staff many moons before that. He also was not the second in command yet (under Wayne), Dave Carico was the #2 man for that hornline and Gino was #3. After that, it was all Gino and John Meehan. Two men that I respect more than what words can describe. Obviously now, John is the man. What a thought huh? First it was Wayne and John's dad Jack. Now it's Wayne and Jack's son. Talk about a family legacy.

Edited by torn8o

I really don't think there's much of a debate. BD had a clearly better version.

Oh, I don't know. At the time I liked Madison's version just as much. I've never heard the older ones. I remeber before the '93 season people were saying that BD was going to smoke Madison for SURE playing the same tune. But I think just as many people ended up preferring Madison's version that year.

NOPE. BD singularly won the brass caption in 91. Horn trophy point ties were decided by the performance subcaption, which BD won that night.

(thanks Jeff Mitchell!)

Joe,

Actually you need to thank Don Hill for breaking that tie. Star was up by a tenth on the field and BD up by the same margin on Ensemble. For that, you can thank me. Don was the GE Brass judge and had BD over Star in the showmanship subcaption. It was showmanship which was then employed as the tie breaker. Interestingly Phantom Regiment took GE Brass that hot, humid night in Dallas and probably did so by virtue of their showmanship.

All three hornlines were awesome that night and set new standards in brass performance and arranging/show design. 1991 is one of my favorite seasons!

For scores and recaps, you only have to go to From The Pressbox. It has it all!

Edited by Jeff

• 6 years later...

Wanted to bring this topic from the grave almost 6 years old. I have been listening to this show a lot this week, what an incredible hornline. Cool to see Scott comment on this thread, it's like hearing commentary from a director or actor on a particular movie/DVD. What a treat.

I also want to chime in and say that I like both versions of Soup in 93 for different reasons. From a percussionist stand point, Madison's version rocks with the way they intro the tune....then the awesome drum feature with the corps singing the melody....then out of the drum feature with the yellow toms hooked to the snares also the Sop just scream to the end. Blue Devils brass arrangement and execution is breath taking. Probably my favorite BD hornline, next to 86,88, and 94....04.

My favorite moment of the BD's 93 show is the Bari/Soprano duet in Chain Reaction, then Scott coming in leading to the Balls to the wall section of Chain Reaction before the quad feature.

http://video.google....945382344673374 - Time Marker 4:00

Wanted to bring this topic from the grave almost 6 years old...

I guess it's a lot easier to go searching for something 76 months old than to just create a new topic. :devil:

• Like 2