MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

Well a corps director's participation as far as instruction goes varies from corps to corps. However, corps directors play a very critical role in interacting with the performers. They are often the "spiritual" leader of a group (Hopkins with Cadets and Fielder with Cavaliers both pop immediately to mind) and they are the motivators. While some corps directors may run an ensemble rehearsal and some may not, their influence is most strongly felt off the field in my opinion.

This is true for The Cadets in my opinion.

George ran an occasional ensemble, and was highly involved behind the scenes making decisions about the show and everything, but the majority of his interaction with the corps as a whole had nothing to do with playing horns or spinning flags. It was teaching how to live life.

Luckily it seems almost certain that the next director of the Cadets would be a former Cadet, so they would have first hand experience with the traditions and lessons learned at Cadets.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a corps director's participation as far as instruction goes varies from corps to corps. However, corps directors play a very critical role in interacting with the performers. They are often the "spiritual" leader of a group (Hopkins with Cadets and Fielder with Cavaliers both pop immediately to mind) and they are the motivators. While some corps directors may run an ensemble rehearsal and some may not, their influence is most strongly felt off the field in my opinion.

Heh, heh, I can remember George Bonfiglio threatening to take over horn rehearsals and his final comment of "and you don't want that!"

This is true for The Cadets in my opinion.

George ran an occasional ensemble, and was highly involved behind the scenes making decisions about the show and everything, but the majority of his interaction with the corps as a whole had nothing to do with playing horns or spinning flags. It was teaching how to live life.

Luckily it seems almost certain that the next director of the Cadets would be a former Cadet, so they would have first hand experience with the traditions and lessons learned at Cadets.

I'm sure Hoppy would select someone who would carry on his vision.

Heh, heh, I can remember George Bonfiglio threatening to take over horn rehearsals and his final comment of "and you don't want that!"

Heh, I bet!

I love the responses to the first comment asking about corps directors and discussion on how different corps directors integrate themselves into their corps. For example, I came from a corps where the director was involved in every step of the creative process from start to finish and ran ensemble rehearsals, sometimes even brass rehearsals if we were in-between caption heads on tour. Personally, I thought it was a bit much, but everyone has their own style.

A find it amusing that most, if not all of us here, disagree with the manner in which these quotes were presented. But when you look at main stream media today, i.e. any major "news" network, they do this kinda crap all the time. "He said "blah blah blah...blah...blah blah..." Making specific note to the ...

That aside, I've always loved The Cadets. I would hate to see George go, but I will stand next to this sentiment: I miss The Cadets.

A find it amusing that most, if not all of us here, disagree with the manner in which these quotes were presented. But when you look at main stream media today, i.e. any major "news" network, they do this kinda crap all the time. "He said "blah blah blah...blah...blah blah..." Making specific note to the ...

That aside, I've always loved The Cadets. I would hate to see George go, but I will stand next to this sentiment: I miss The Cadets.

For me, I stand by this sentiment: I am glad to see the Cadets are back, as of 2005.

Is there any kind of link that you can give us to read it??? :blink:

IF the orignal poster wanted you to read the entire article and give fair treatment to the CONTEXT of the quotes and not just try to get a reaction to and support for her personal opion, then she would have obtained permission to reprint the article in its entirety. Otherwise, she would not have posted (one would hope). :worthy:

Edited by marshamello