MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

Actually, the modern era Cadets award probably goes to Dr. Richard Santos. He "game planned" their winning strategy in 1980 (1979 was their last non-Finals year). Getting Michael Cesario (program coordinator) and George Zingali (best visual designer EVER) solidified them as an 80's juggernaut

When did George Hopkins take over as director

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After GH says "I'm not a fan of corps," the next line clarifies: "I think I am a fan of what corps does for young adults on the road to adulthood."

:P Sounds like friend of mine who loved to work with kids at the local T-Ball and Little League type basefield field nearby.

HATES to watch baseball......

My only question to George would be does he understand or care about Drum Corps past. And I'd be willing to buy the drinks while we talk it out.

When did George Hopkins take over as director

1983. The year of their first DCI title.

Checked the web site and they are still advertising the Fall 2005 issue and doesn't look like they post too many of their articles.

Also don't think George had too much to do with starting the Cadets. He don't look THAT old ^0^

Magic year was 1934 in Gaaaaaaaar-field......

OK, just see that Wayne already responded too...

lets say he kept GARFIELD from going inactive.

In 1980 the corps was about to fold.

Hop and others started the importing of members from elsewhere in the country to field a corps.

the corps came in 10th that season as has not missed finals ever since.

so he did not Give us the cadets but he kept them and the crossmen safe for us.

thanks

HOP

Edited by thechezman

I am very torn about this issue.

On one hand, there is a director that loves kids and loves to teach them who has brought the Cadets 9 quality DCI titles. He strives for the best he can every year and is always looking for improvement. George loves pushing the envelope and pushing for more each season, which, to an extent, is great! No matter what, George deserves the utmost respect from all DC fans... Without him leading the Cadets for 26 years (if my math isn't mistaken), who knows where the activity would be today! Who would those 9 other titles have gone to if the corps had folded in '80?

On the other hand, he is arguably the most controversial man in Drum Corps today. He loves teaching kids so much he wants more and more of them in his corps each year, which means pushing for larger corps and more instruments to play in them. Adding more instruments not only changes the name of Drum and Bugle Corps, but would change the activity. Is it really that much of a good thing for him to stay heavily involved in the activity for say, another 15-20 years, which he is probably physically capable of doing? Whose to say?

I have very strong opinions on both sides of the argument, and as of now, I am undecided. Luckily, for undecided fans like myself, it seems as though this retirement may not happen for a few more years.

I am very torn about this issue.

I have very strong opinions on both sides of the argument, and as of now, I am undecided. Luckily, for undecided fans like myself, it seems as though this retirement may not happen for a few more years.

I think you summed up what many fans feel. You respect and enjoy what he has accomplished on the field, but disagree with his vision for the future. I don't understand why so many folks have such a difficult time with that. The activity needs people willing to explore new ideas. There is a check and balance in place - a rules approval process. To date that process has kept the most controversial of GHs ideas out of the activity.

I hope he sticks around.

I think you summed up what many fans feel. You respect and enjoy what he has accomplished on the field, but disagree with his vision for the future. I don't understand why so many folks have such a difficult time with that. The activity needs people willing to explore new ideas. There is a check and balance in place - a rules approval process. To date that process has kept the most controversial of GHs ideas out of the activity.

I hope he sticks around.

I don't necessarily disagree with his vision(s) for the future, I was just stating them. To be honest, I don't think woodwinds rule proposals will ever be passed, though at the back of my mind I am slightly concerned, but other than that, I don't HATE amps, or anything like that. Besides, George couldnt have been the ONLY director out there voting for these new rules.

Here's a thought. Rather than pluck two lines from the article without context, why don't you tell us what the article was about and how we might interpret quotes such as those. The way it stands - a couple of provocative lines in isolation - you almost have to view the words as if someone other than Hopkins made them up.

Happy reading what?

HH

I agree. Single sentence quotes almost begs for misinterpretation. Recall the "Drum Corp is Marching Band" quote.

I agree. Single sentence quotes almost begs for misinterpretation. Recall the "Drum Corp is Marching Band" quote.

I agree. Some tried to turn that into meaning GH felt drum corps was too similar to marching band. If you saw the whole thing, it was obvious he meant he wanted drum corps to become marching band.

You had to ignore all of GH's rules proposals and the entire presentation, then you could get a different meaning but some did. Amazing.