MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

I have been a writer for MMA for the past eight years, and it has been a labor of love. MMA is a paid subscription magazine. If Rick gives Lancerfi permission to scan and print the article or exceprts, fine. Otherwise, I urge those interested to subscribe. A scan and posting of this article without Rick’s permission, I surmise, would not be consistent with DCP’s polices, nor would it be fair to Rick and MMA.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an excellent publication full of history and of todays drum corps...I got a subscription for a present from someone very close...Great writing as well. :worthy:

I have been a writer for MMA for the past eight years, and it has been a labor of love. MMA is a paid subscription magazine. If Rick gives Lancerfi permission to scan and print the article or exceprts, fine. Otherwise, I urge those interested to subscribe. A scan and posting of this article without Rick’s permission, I surmise, would not be consistent with DCP’s polices, nor would it be fair to Rick and MMA.

No permission is required for you or anyone else to describe the content of the article (as opposed to reprinting it entirely). Have you read it? What's it about? To tell us would be fair use under the laws of the United States and the guidelines of DCP. Because I'll tell you what. Based on the couple of alleged quotes at the top of this thread, it sure doesn't sound to me as if this publication is worth reading.

Willing to be proved wrong.

HH

. Because I'll tell you what. Based on the couple of alleged quotes at the top of this thread, it sure doesn't sound to me as if this publication is worth reading.

:worthy:

According to those quotes in the first post, George Hopkins (referenced as "GH") is the one making the remarks that require the asbestos jammies, not the reporter.

If those quotes are accurate, it certainly bears reading.

:worthy:

According to those quotes in the first post, George Hopkins (referenced as "GH") is the one making the remarks that require the asbestos jammies, not the reporter.

If those quotes are accurate, it certainly bears reading.

Exactly!

if he leaves, he leaves. i dont see it happening any time soon....he's too close to having what his vision requires.

QUOTE(Snapps @ Jan 27 2006, 10:30 AM)

hooray George Hopkins may be leaving Drumcorps

i find this really disrespectful. hopkins, though he has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, has done so much for this activity. he's given us the cadets...helped in the formation of YEA which has allowed us to keep the crossmen...influenced thousands of marching arts youth to be the people they are today.

say what you will about amps and whatever else (which, don't forget, he didnt just impose like an evil dictator - there was a vote...losing hopkins would be a terrible shame.

George has always in my eyes had a dig at Drum Corps what upsets me is the fact he wants to change the instruments etc etc

It's an excellent publication full of history and of todays drum corps...I got a subscription for a present from someone very close...Great writing as well. :worthy:

Great writing? Awwww, fanks. :P By this screenname, you should figure out my contributions to MMA, such as they are.

I emailed Rick and asked about reprinting the ONE-PAGE interview here.

After GH says "I'm not a fan of corps," the next line clarifies: "I think I am a fan of what corps does for young adults on the road to adulthood." To me, that's the same thing as saying, "We did not care if we won..." in 1983 (after they'd won, by the way).

And the "...coming to a close!" line is immediately followed by, "One can never be sure" so that's that. The interview discusses Jethro Tull, Gino, the uniform, the 2005 Cadets compared to other years, and GH's endeavors referred to in MMA as "The Evil Empire."

To that, he shrugs it off and calls himself a Sixers fan.

Edited by OhioStateTad

I believe that recognition goes to Bill Kemmerer

Actually, the modern era Cadets award probably goes to Dr. Richard Santos. He "game planned" their winning strategy in 1980 (1979 was their last non-Finals year). Getting Michael Cesario (program coordinator) and George Zingali (best visual designer EVER) solidified them as an 80's juggernaut.