MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

"Rick Connor's One on One with "Evil Emperor":

A few quotes that "Jumped off the page":

GH: "I guess, as much as I have been involved in the activity for comming up on 40 years, I have never been a fan of corps".

And:

GH: "Indeed, Iwould not be surprised if my time in the activity is comming to a close. One can never be sure, but perhaps the draw of the classroom, or lectures, or a world class, issue laden non-profit might pull me from my roots".

All this and much more (Which should no doubt provoke a "few" comments on this board), can be found in the 'Winter' issue of Masters of the Marching Arts.

Happy Reading.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hooray George Hopkins may be leaving Drumcorps

Is there any kind of link that you can give us to read it??? :ph34r:

"Rick Connor's One on One with "Evil Emperor":

A few quotes that "Jumped off the page":

Here's a thought. Rather than pluck two lines from the article without context, why don't you tell us what the article was about and how we might interpret quotes such as those. The way it stands - a couple of provocative lines in isolation - you almost have to view the words as if someone other than Hopkins made them up.

Happy reading what?

HH

hooray George Hopkins may be leaving Drumcorps

i find this really disrespectful. hopkins, though he has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, has done so much for this activity. he's given us the cadets...helped in the formation of YEA which has allowed us to keep the crossmen...influenced thousands of marching arts youth to be the people they are today.

say what you will about amps and whatever else (which, don't forget, he didnt just impose like an evil dictator - there was a vote...losing hopkins would be a terrible shame.

Please be careful when posting quotes of something someone said, especially when the full quote or series of comments is not included. People can easily take much of this out of context. I am not trying to defend anyone here, but no person deserves to have their name dragged around in the mud. We can disagree, and we can comment on what was said, but in order to do so properly we need to know all that was said, and not just clips. This is how people take things out of context.

Misery loves company, and finding it only takes a few strokes of the pen.

Jonathan Willis

Checked the web site and they are still advertising the Fall 2005 issue and doesn't look like they post too many of their articles.

Also don't think George had too much to do with starting the Cadets. He don't look THAT old ^0^

Magic year was 1934 in Gaaaaaaaar-field......

OK, just see that Wayne already responded too...