Les Etoiles!

I recently purchased the 1996-1998 CD sets, and I've been going through some of the nonfinalist shows that I haven't really listened to much before. One of the gems that I found was Les Etoiles, a corps that I have to confess to having never heard before. They may not have had the cleanest shows, but I listened to 1996 and 1998 last night and they were definitely entertaining! I'm going to listen to 1997 when I get home tonight, and I'm wishing their '99 show had made it onto the CD's.

So for anyone out there who marched Les Etoiles, thanks for putting out some fun shows to listen to!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased the 1996-1998 CD sets, and I've been going through some of the nonfinalist shows that I haven't really listened to much before. One of the gems that I found was Les Etoiles, a corps that I have to confess to having never heard before. They may not have had the cleanest shows, but I listened to 1996 and 1998 last night and they were definitely entertaining! I'm going to listen to 1997 when I get home tonight, and I'm wishing their '99 show had made it onto the CD's.

So for anyone out there who marched Les Etoiles, thanks for putting out some fun shows to listen to!

I dont know what it is but Quebec has produced some wonderful programs. Les Etoiles were great and had some excellent years. Les Eclipes too. something in the water up there.

If you can, check out the '98 video of their show. It matches the music, very entertainng. The end with the spinning snare line rivals Motley Crues' Tommy Lee spinning drumset solo (some of you might know what I'm referring to, not many though).

1998 had some great shows from the semi tape, East Coast Jazz is equal to the big boys and Les Etoiles merit honorable mention as well, I'll have to watch that tape again and refresh my memory, but I remember being very impressed by the below top 12 corps that year.

Check out the Div 2 & 3 corps if you can, there's gold in them there hills.

1998 had some great shows from the semi tape, East Coast Jazz is equal to the big boys and Les Etoiles merit honorable mention as well, I'll have to watch that tape again and refresh my memory, but I remember being very impressed by the below top 12 corps that year.

On the field, from Malden, Massachusetts..... Adam Rapa, featuring the East Coast Jazz.

Just kidding... There were a lot of talented people in that corps. A good 3/4 of the tech staff at ECJ now marched that show. Nice to see them give back to the corps that did them so well.

Edited by TTitans909

One of the best perfomances I've ever seen was Les Etoiles in 1999. They had some difficulties with their equipment truck I believe (they never had any luck with their vehicles) So they did the show with borrowed equipment. The guard had no uniforms so there they were...20 french girls in tight jeans and white t-shirts, and it was raining!!!!

If you can, check out the '98 video of their show. It matches the music, very entertainng. The end with the spinning snare line rivals Motley Crues' Tommy Lee spinning drumset solo (some of you might know what I'm referring to, not many though).

Yes, the visual was just as entertaining as the music. Anyone who's seen the rotating drumline surely doesn't forget it. Looked like NASA training while drumming.

Another corps that is dearly missed...

One of the best perfomances I've ever seen was Les Etoiles in 1999. They had some difficulties with their equipment truck I believe (they never had any luck with their vehicles) So they did the show with borrowed equipment. The guard had no uniforms so there they were...20 french girls in tight jeans and white t-shirts, and it was raining!!!!

Oh, come on, like your recollection has ANYTHING to do with the performance! b**bs

You can read a really great story about the 1996 Les Etoiles corps on the DCI site here.

And then my response to this amazing corps...

I enjoyed reading Mike Watier’s tale of the 1996 Les Étoiles and wish to add a bit from an audience member’s perspective.

When I saw this small corps on the field, I knew nothing about them, never saw them perform live before, and knew nothing of the off-season quandary that Mike explained. All we knew was that a little bit of Canada had made it into the top elite, and we were excited for them.

At the top of the show when the drum major barked his commands in French, I heard some light laughs around me, but I perked up. It's rare to hear something other than English and it made the evening special, truly international. Plus the DM’s fierce attitude blended with a contagious energy that seemed to generate out through the audience. We were mesmerized by his bouncing (lots and lots of bouncing!) and passion. He seemed to be bursting with something -- something wild and determined.

And then they started playing. It was the music from ‘Iron Will,’ a movie that I liked with music that I loved. Who could resist its beat-the-odds, coming-of-age story? You could feel the heart and soul of those musicians coming out and touching us. It was the movie coming to life.

I didn't even notice that it was a small guard. All I knew was that they were throwing equipment over a rotating drum line -- yards away! They were in beautiful costumes, unique and flattering. And the drum line? Holy cow!

When we saw those percussionists fit into that contraption, there was an audible gasp from the audience. We had never seen anything like it. Playing snare while spinning around? I got dizzy just thinking about it. It was truly insane! People were slapping each other and clapping and laughing and plain blown out of their minds watching this spectacle of sheer entertainment. Even before the show was over, we were on our feet.

I ended up joining a crowd of people at the instant video center. I had to have a copy of that show. Really! I actually showed it to a group of writers and photographers who were covering other areas and had not seen it. They too were blown away by its adventuresome nature.

Since that show many years ago, I have shown the video to dozens of band, color guard and corps kids. It's one of the most worn out videos in my collection.

To all of those associated with that show, from everyone in the audience, thank you! A perfect blend of showmanship and passion wrapped up in the drum corps idiom. Truly a wonderful memory!