If this narration-laden marching band show were in DCI...

How would you take the Richland 2005 show if it were a drum corps show?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider it entertaining?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you consider it "cheesy"?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you like for this to be a "standard" drum corps show of the next five or so years, with the majority of other shows resembling it?

• Yes
    • No

I'm with MikeD. I found it very entertaining, not cheesy at all, and I would have liked to have seen that show on the field. I don't want this kind of show to be "the standard" in drum corps. But then, I don't want there to be a single standard for drum corps shows. The variety is what makes it so enjoyable.

(Edited to add omitted word.)

Edited by MN DCI Fan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... I really didn't have that much of a problem with it what they are trying to do.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LEARN HOW TO RUN SOUND.

The band is very good... the soloist and naration make the production "sound" bad. I was like the music is cool (Sleep is great) but dang, if you can't do it right (FOH sound) don't do it.

Edited by bssop97

But then, I don't there to be a single standard for drum corps shows.

Agreed. I've been campaigning for a certain style of show that I'd like to see a corps attempt, but I don't want everybody to conform to that style. In fact, if anything, variety is exactly what I'd like to see more of, particularly with regards to emotions generated. I want to see twelve different corps gonig in twelve different directions on the DVDs, and if one of those directions is the direction chosen by Richland, more power to 'em. All I ask is that it be a quality product, in design and execution.

That show seemed typical of lots of BOA shows I have seen. Depend on electronics and solos rather than the ensemble.

That is my beef with all of this. I don't like extended solos in a show either. I come to hear the band or the corps, not extended use of subgroups or individuals.

I agree with you there. Soloists and small ensembles should add flavor to a show, they ought not be a primary focus. If amplified voice is here to stay, I would say the same thing about it. It should complement the brass and percussion, and not draw your attention away from the performance of the corps as a whole.

I hope that happens, would be pretty entertaining.

"Hope Springs Eternal":

Be very carefull what you wish for, my pretty, you just may get it. :angry:

Elphaba

While the vocal portion of the show (i.e. singing) was nice, it really isn't "marching band" in that the persons singing are neither marching, nor playing an instrument. I think that the same is the case in Drum Corps. I also understand the need to push the activity and the art form of drum corps in new ways. But I am just concerned that this type of use of vocals is neither helpful nor beneficial to growth of the activity. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, but seriously, is knocking off BOA shows really the way to go?

And the narration on this was possibly the most insipid I've ever heard! I mean seriously: "When you were born, you were a pure individual. The light came from within." Huh?? It reminded me a lot of BAC's color show, which I have to say I actually really liked SO MUCH BETTER when I saw it in Orlando when they had no microphones.

I just think that everything that the unit tried to convey can be (and has been) done in a "pure" drum corps idiom. For example, the bit about trying to fit in and .... well, don't you think that the ballad from Cadets' 1991 show conveyed this idea pretty well without the use of narration? And as far as the innocence of youth and the various apects of the growth of the individual, Suncoast '88 and Cadets '00 come to mind.

The key to understanding a show should not be listening to a story or providing audio cues for the audience. I've always felt that Drum Corps is akin to the ballet in that respect. The story is told through movement, color, choreoraphy and music. To the extent that the human voice acts as an instrument and falls within the "music" category, I think I can accept it. But the narration (of the type in this clip) simply has no place in drum corps -- IMHO.