Marching with a disability

The Mellophone soloist in Garfield (83-84?)was missing a hand I think. Thats why cadets do the horns up the way they did, they changed it for her and it looked good so they kept it. I THINK this is the story, anyone know for sure?

I'm pretty sure you are correct about the horns up

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you are correct about the horns up

I actually read an interview with Barb Moroney (the soloist in question) who said that the horns up was not to accommodate her at all. It was just the way they did it there .. I think it was there before she came along.

Stef

One of my close friends was wondering this, after we had a several hour discussion about her marching band. She has muscular dystrophy and her marching band put her in the pit with her instrument, although they gave her the option be pushed in her wheelchair by another person.

So we are wondering, has anyone here marched with a disability or had someone in their corps that had a disability? Would most corps even allow someone to march with a disability that hinders marching, other than putting them in the pit? My friend Kathy is hoping to attend a drum corps show or 2 with me next year. She is looking forward to the experience, as she has only seen the videos so far.

I personally know three people who marched with physical disabilities. One of them is over fifty years old now and is still marching!

Steve Spang, formerly of the Bellevue Sentinels performed with Seattle's Northwest Venture in their Pit. Steve still marches to this day with "2nd Wind" (Jim Nevermann's parade only drum line) after severely breaking his ankle about ten or fifteen years ago. Not bad for a fifty-something year old guy!

John Gibbs, formerly of the Bellevue Sentinels went on to march for two more seasons after a motorcycle accident in '72 that nearly cost him a leg. He was then and still is today one of the best horn players we ever had!

Rick Miller, formerly of the Bellevue Sentinels was born with only a left arm. He not only marched for four years but played first soprano using a single valved bugle with a rotary. Try that sometime!

Additionally, there is a horn player involved with Prairie Sound in Kansas City who is wheelchair bound. He currently is their horn tech and I'm sure will be participating in parades this summer. He will be playing a horn in the pit area when things progress far enough to become a field competitive corps in the future. Pretty cool, I think.

In short, go for it Kathy!

Rice

I haven't read all the responses on here so I don't know if anyone's mentioned him.. and I didn't actually march with this young man.. but in 2004, there was a boy in the Cavaliers guard who had either MS or Cerebral Palsy. Funny thing is.. he made the line and was halfway through pretour before he couldn't mask it any longer. The thing is.. they never knew.. he could spin and dance without issue.. but his disability showed up when he tried to run.

They kept him in the show -- he was brought in and out at key points.. if you watch the DVD you can see him kneeling in the endzone before the end of the ballad.

Now given that it's be perfectly reasonable for a corps contending for a title to drop someone who couldn;t do a particular bit...keeping him in for the sections he COULD perform and allowing him the full corps experiecne shows a LOT of class on the part of the Green Machine....and winning was just a bonus!

Back in the day, I marched 32" bass drum, then 29" timp, then a 50 pound vibraphone, all with a real bad lumbar problem brought on by being run over by a Cadillac when I was little. At least once every tour, I had to be taken to a chiropractor and/or doctor for help because my back would totally stop working. I never did take all the drugs they wanted me to take for pain and such. I tended to do relaxation exercises and stuff.

Recently, I've been playing timpani with the Racine Kilties. I now, on top of my on-going back problem, I have a degenerative left hip due to a little mishap I had while in the Army involving a helicopter. I'm afraid I'm not even going to be doing this much longer. I hope I can get this stupid hip fixed soon.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04-'05

Blue Knights had a mellophone player with one arm around 97-99. He has a big picture in one of the DCI yearbooks - 98, maybe?

And it was his left arm. The corps changed some of their horn holds (like parade rest) to conform to what he could do. They still incorporate those changes to this day. I guess they're traditions now.

Not sure it really counts as a disability, but in Regiment 96 we had a euph player who marched a good chunk of the season with a broken arm in a cast. had to hand it to him for being able to not only lug that huge heavy thing around with basically one arm, but play it as well LOL

I haven't read all the responses on here so I don't know if anyone's mentioned him.. and I didn't actually march with this young man.. but in 2004, there was a boy in the Cavaliers guard who had either MS or Cerebral Palsy. Funny thing is.. he made the line and was halfway through pretour before he couldn't mask it any longer. The thing is.. they never knew.. he could spin and dance without issue.. but his disability showed up when he tried to run.

They kept him in the show -- he was brought in and out at key points.. if you watch the DVD you can see him kneeling in the endzone before the end of the ballad.

I remember watching them warm-up that year seeing one person who seemed not to be in control of his body the same way everyone else was. I curious as to what was going on there. Now I know. I think he only marched the ballad, but I may be wrong about that.

Now given that it's be perfectly reasonable for a corps contending for a title to drop someone who couldn;t do a particular bit...keeping him in for the sections he COULD perform and allowing him the full corps experiecne shows a LOT of class on the part of the Green Machine....and winning was just a bonus!

Well not every corps thinks only of winning. After all, it is about the process and not the product.