Marching with a disability

I couldn't help but focus on him every time I watched he Blue Knights because he made it look so natural even though he was using the "other" hand. For the next couple of years after he left the corps, I would look for him on the field as if it wasn't BK without him.

HH

Colby marched 98, 99, and 00. He had a ring attached to the bell of his mellophone so he could hold it up with his thumb and pinky finger and play with the other three fingers. When the hornline did pushups, he did them on his one good arm. Needless to say, his good arm was twice the size of anybody elses. There was no special treatment, and he was held to the same high standard as the rest of the group. I hear that his rookie year was extreemly diffacult for him, but he was a strong leader in the 99 and 00 hornline when I marched. BK continues to march trail on the left arm today.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be totally wrong since I only heard this from a not so close friend who graduated last year. But he told me that he met a tenor player who is/was in Spirit, sorry I don't know what year or the person's name, who could only see through peripheral vision since his forward vision is blind.

I'm not totally sure if it's called forward vision but I hope you guys undersand what I mean when I say he could only see through peripheral vision. Again this could be absolutely bogus and it would help a lot if someone could clarify if there is any truth in this.

That is awesome!!!

I would love to see them perform.

So here’s one for you…..I will have a more complete info and biography in a thread of it’s own including a few pics at a later date…….there is a corps in Hamilton Ontario Canada that has it’s entire membership made up of mentally and some physically as well as mentally challenged people. The Hamilton Association for community Living Drum Corps (HACL Drum Corps) was started 3 years ago as a project for the 50th anniversary for the HACL, an agency designed to include those with disabilities into everyday life. They have performed in several parades and standstill shows and are a crowd favorite. The Director, Robyn Garnier (a former member of the A Class Champions Ventures and the Guelph Royalaires Senior Corps) has been the driving force behind this amazing group of people. To all our research and someone correct us if we are not correct, this is the only group of it’s kind in the WORLD, that’s right not just US & Canada but the WORLD. The membership has a sense of pride to rival any top corps anywhere. It is truly amazing to see the life skills they learn from this drum corps. They have a color guard and auxiliary section; percussion section and this year are adding several horns. Although they will never be a DCI touring corps, kudos goes out to all the volunteers who help to make this a truly rewarding experience for the members.

Just was scanning this thread and saw the last few posts. Found the main website but haven't had a chance to search too close and need to logout in the next 30 seconds (sorry).

http://www.clham.com/

I'll have to keep checking to see when CanadianDirector posts more info and pics. Cool that a member of the Royalaires (aka - "The Corps With a Heart") is so involved, always enjoyed talking to thoes folks when I marched..

And my 30 seconds is up.....

I'm marching with one lung. Haha, a girl on the bassline flipped at a recent camp when she found out.

That Danny kid's story inspires me.

'91 Bluecoats had a tenor player who lost four toes in Desert Storm the year before.

Now that you mentioned that, I think he was a featurette on the PBS broadcast that year. I wish I still had that tape.

On another note (despite all the interesting responses, and not to take any wind out of the thread), didn't Michael Boo do a story on this maybe in the last 3-4 years (aside from the story in DCW)?

So here’s one for you…..I will have a more complete info and biography in a thread of it’s own including a few pics at a later date…….there is a corps in Hamilton Ontario Canada that has it’s entire membership made up of mentally and some physically as well as mentally challenged people. The Hamilton Association for community Living Drum Corps (HACL Drum Corps) was started 3 years ago as a project for the 50th anniversary for the HACL, an agency designed to include those with disabilities into everyday life. They have performed in several parades and standstill shows and are a crowd favorite. The Director, Robyn Garnier (a former member of the A Class Champions Ventures and the Guelph Royalaires Senior Corps) has been the driving force behind this amazing group of people. To all our research and someone correct us if we are not correct, this is the only group of it’s kind in the WORLD, that’s right not just US & Canada but the WORLD. The membership has a sense of pride to rival any top corps anywhere. It is truly amazing to see the life skills they learn from this drum corps. They have a color guard and auxiliary section; percussion section and this year are adding several horns. Although they will never be a DCI touring corps, kudos goes out to all the volunteers who help to make this a truly rewarding experience for the members.

Wow, I live about 30 minutes from Hamilton & I didn't know about this group. I will definitely have to check them out! :)

Now that you mentioned that, I think he was a featurette on the PBS broadcast that year. I wish I still had that tape.

Yeah...the feature was broadcast right before SCV's performance of "Miss Saigon"

John Hord....4 toes lost to an Iraqi anti-personnell mine...amazing guts in that young Marine to come back and age out on tenors...

Edited by 84BDsop

Yeah...the feature was broadcast right before SCV's performance of "Miss Saigon"

John Hord....4 toes lost to an Iraqi anti-personnell mine...amazing guts in that young Marine to come back and age out on tenors...

Yeah I remember that, that was a cool feature on the DVD. Great that he was able to finish marching corps as he had originally wanted.