Marching with a disability

There was a guy who was going to march mellophone with my corps in 2004.....normal right?

Until he took off his pants and we realized....he has ONE leg.

He went on to march mellophone with a prosthetic leg at Pioneer in 2004. I believe he's actually qouted in one of the Denver newspaper articles from championships 04.

EDIT: Grammatical error. Sorry guys! :)

Edited by show_mellow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, Barbara Moroney (Garfield mid-80s mello goddess) had one arm, and Todd Wake (sp?), Madison's great xylo player in 74-75-76, had a prosthetic leg. There was a BD middle horn in the 80s who had a hearing aid.

Yep! I'm totally blind and I'm marching hornline this year yay!

Actually....BD had a girl in the sop line in 82 was was deaf....so the theory that a deaf person couldn't be on the field in a big corps is obviously false.

As for Barbara Maroney...given that it wsa her left arm that's missing and it didn't affect her marching, I'd hardly call it a disability. The ONLY thing she was physically unable to do was work the 1st valve tuning slide because that's a left-handed operation.

However, you'd never know it by listening to her.

Wasn't there a picture of a specially designed euphonium or baritone for one of the DCA guys with a disability? Had to have a special horn designed with everything on the left (or right, I can't remember)

We had a girl in the hornline who had cerebral palsy.

I've taught students in guard with a glass eye and another who had a wooden leg. The girl with the wooden leg used to get threats from the other guard members that if she didn't start catching her triples they were going to put termites in her leg! :P

One of my close friends was wondering this, after we had a several hour discussion about her marching band. She has muscular dystrophy and her marching band put her in the pit with her instrument, although they gave her the option be pushed in her wheelchair by another person.

So we are wondering, has anyone here marched with a disability or had someone in their corps that had a disability? Would most corps even allow someone to march with a disability that hinders marching, other than putting them in the pit? My friend Kathy is hoping to attend a drum corps show or 2 with me next year. She is looking forward to the experience, as she has only seen the videos so far.

I haven't read all the responses on here so I don't know if anyone's mentioned him.. and I didn't actually march with this young man.. but in 2004, there was a boy in the Cavaliers guard who had either MS or Cerebral Palsy. Funny thing is.. he made the line and was halfway through pretour before he couldn't mask it any longer. The thing is.. they never knew.. he could spin and dance without issue.. but his disability showed up when he tried to run.

They kept him in the show -- he was brought in and out at key points.. if you watch the DVD you can see him kneeling in the endzone before the end of the ballad.

Edited by ScribeToo

There was a guy who was going to march mellophone with my corps in 2004.....normal right?

Until he took off his pants and we realized....he has ONE leg.

He went on to march mellophone with a prosthetic leg at Pioneer in 2004. I believe he's actually qouted in one of the Denver newspaper articles from championships 04.

EDIT: Grammatical error. Sorry guys! :)

Hey I know that kid!! I did the first article on him in DCWorld that summer!!

neat kid.. worked so hard and you could barely tell..