Lake Erie Regiment to go inactive for 2006

LER is a class organization. I have a lot of respect for them and hope that they can come back next year with a vengence! :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's think about this for a second. What does a corps like LER have to offer a kid that they can not get from HS band?

A more advanced and competitive group? Nope

Better instruction? No way - the Lake Erie staff has been substandard since 1999

Better equipment? Nope -

More touring opportunities? No, LER didnt go when championships were far away

Kids are auditioning to be a part of a specific drum corps experience. They are not desperate for performance or cometitive situations.

Please tell me why a student should join a group that ofers nothing except the opportunity to spend about $1000? If you are asking a kid to invest in a corps, the corps needs to offer something in return.

because in todays world, if you arent one of the top 14 or so, you're viewed as #### and marketed poorly.

after all, we have thousands of kids cut, and bunches of corps struggling for members.

why was instruction lacking in your eyes? it's not like Erie is a huge metorplitan market. it's not like the corps had the funds to attract the top talent since D2/3 gets paid poorly. It's not like DCI pushed D2/3 in a huge marketing campaign.

now, I am sure LER did have some issues....but some of those issues are the same issues that keep killing D2/3 corps left and right.

Only providing facts to the earlier posting about my corps.

We did not go to finals twice to the best of my recollection: Florida and Denver as we couldn't afford the trip in terms of cash (true) but also in terms of enough staff and support people due to running out of vacation time.

Last season we performed in 22 shows which I believe was very respectable for a Div III corps. As mentioned, we did attain finalist status at DCI's

Our dues were $350 not $1,000

Last year we accepted an educational endorsement from Yamaha and replaced the entire pit ensemble with all brand new instruments. More replacements were to come in the future. The year before last, we replaced our entire fleet with newer busses, trucks and staff vans to enable us to travel better.

Our staff was comprised of some of the finest people I have ever had the chance to work with. They were the best and did a great job.

And lastly, we did most of all this with volunteers so we could keep the experience affordable for the kids in our area. The money actually went into the fuel tanks, food and housing. These are the facts, not emotions, just facts. Thank you!

<**> I am very sad to hear about this. Marching with Dutch Boy for many years and now teaching there, I always considered Lake Erie respectable competition and a respectable corps. Especially because of the close proximity and the fact that we often ended up at the same shows together.

The Drumcorps world is dying and there needs to be something done about it. Ontario alone has been reduced to 2 or 3 corps from the dozens that used to make their home here. Every corps that is forced to fold or become inactive for any amount of time is a HUGE loss the drumcorps activity as a whole.

Again, I am very sad to hear about this loss.

I personally got to talk to some of LER's volunteers in 2004 in Oklahoma. They are truely a great group of people who focused on giving their kids the best experience possible. Their final performance in the parking lot that night in 04 was an emotional one.

LER is a classy organization who puts the youth group first. Best of luck to you guys in the future to come, and don't let the words of others keep you down.

Well, let's think about this for a second. What does a corps like LER have to offer a kid that they can not get from HS band?

Obviously you have very little knowledge of LER and drum corps as a whole. Here is a Div III corps that although small has always put out a consistent corps. Okay, they are not at the top BUT they offer kids in that area a chance to do corps. Marching band does not offer the opportunity to travel all summer long.

A more advanced and competitive group? Nope

For the size and ability of the corps I would say they were right up there with other corps in Div. III, they made finals right?

Better instruction? No way - the Lake Erie staff has been substandard since 1999

That is about the dumbest statement I have heard. Look at their past and present staff members...ALL competent individuals.

Better equipment? Nope -

Did the equipment work for them? Yes! Oh and by the way, great equipment is nice BUT it is the PLAYER that makes the equipment work.

More touring opportunities? No, LER didnt go when championships were far away

What year?

Kids are auditioning to be a part of a specific drum corps experience. They are not desperate for performance or cometitive situations.

Please tell me why a student should join a group that ofers nothing except the opportunity to spend about $1000? If you are asking a kid to invest in a corps, the corps needs to offer something in return.

My friend, I am guessing you don't have a huge amount of experience in this activity and possibly have a vendetta against LER. Be brave who ever you are and sign your full name and your experience level so we know who we are talking to.

My friend, I am guessing you don't have a huge amount of experience in this activity and possibly have a vendetta against LER. Be brave who ever you are and sign your full name and your experience level so we know who we are talking to.

Keith,

I think our only hope, at this time, is that Center X is not an educator. <**>

Keith,

I think our only hope, at this time, is that Center X is not an educator. <**>

A Coward is more like it!

Wish I had a "Don't Feed the Troll" emoticon. (Time for my nap) :sshh:

You mean like this?

:feednotroll:

b**bs