DCI and DCA's relationship? (curiosity killing me)

I suppose I could have chosen either forum (i.e. DCI or DCA) to post this thread because it's on topic in either place. I figure I would put it here since this forum seems to get more hits.

My question: What type of a relationship does DCI and DCA have - if any at all (and from what I have gathered so far in my first year on staff with a DCA corps is that there really is NONE)??? If none, why is it that way? I know senior corps at one time carried a negative stigma but most people these days who are in the know or even seen just ONE good DCA corps know that the senior/all age corps have improved drastically and to quite an extent hold their own well in the drum corps world as a whole now days. With that in mind, why is it that these two circuits do not work together much to promote the drum corps activity and at the very least support one another. It actually seems like DCI's support for DCA was better durring the "stigma years" (so to speak). In fact, for a while every DCI telecast included a documentary on DCA in the same manner as they usually do for Division II and III (although come to think of it, I haven't seen a documentary on those in a while either). Again, why? I'm not saying that the two should partner up. Perhaps just at least have the type of harmony that DCI and BOA have developed over the last decade and a half. Any info or thoughts on this subject will be well recieved. Please, anyone...SPEAK! Talk to me. Preferably even someone "in the know".

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some thought from Dan Acheson circa 2003:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=384

relevant quotes:

While we recognize that senior corps have evolved from traditionally more adult-aged social groups to organizations that serve a broader range in age -- including what we consider youth -- including them in our mission continues to be a stretch. From me, not necessarily representing the views of the DCI board of directors in the following statement, it seems these mostly adult organizations can fend for themselves without taking away performance opportunities from any junior corps, as well as resources such as fee reimbursement for their performances.
There is much more to be considered when balancing all factors for the growth and survival of the drum corps activity. If we as an activity can see a clear purpose for senior corps to further our mission to serve the youth in the activity, we will do whatever we can to include them.

...and the quote that ###### everyone off:

SV: Would you comment on how you perceive the senior and alumni corps movement as it relates to DCI’s operation?

DA: Senior and alumni corps are essentially the same to us. While they may be fine organizations, we do not consider them a component of our youth focus or mission. Senior corps can participate in DCI Central Division events as outlined in the operating policies to be voted on in December. Drum Corps International is about preserving and promoting the drum corps experience for the youth participants, not providing opportunities for adults to relive their youth.

I think there was more on this when Dan was asked about it on the "livewire" feature here, but that's lost to the server change over....maybe someone saved it.

DCI helped host a DCA show this past summer, and they seem to welcome having the Bucs perform this summer.

This thread will quickly get out of hand, though...I can assure you. :)

I remember 2003's Pacific Procession. The senior corps went on first. This stuck in our craw for one, and only one reason. The junior corps all rehears every day from 9am - 9pm. They've got all the rehearsal time in the world. Making us go on first eats of the very few rehearsal hours we have.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I remember in 2003's Pacific Procession....there were three people and a piece of toast in the audience to watch the Senior Corps.

2004......the stands were packed.

Huh. Naw, there couldn't be a win/win situation in DCI and DCA scratching each other's backs, could there?

Arent' these the same folks who believe FEWER "Super corps" would be better than lots of drum corps all over the country? Kinda makes ya wonder whose side they're on.

Arent' these the same folks who believe FEWER "Super corps" would be better than lots of drum corps all over the country? Kinda makes ya wonder whose side they're on.

Which is precisely why I choose DCA over DCI last year. It was AWESOME!

Rocketman - DCA Rules, DCI - thinks they are God

ampssuck

The contents of the two previous posts I just read - if in their proper context really bum me out. :( Especially the "reliving youth comment". Who has the right to define what the "proper age is to participate in an activity like drum corps"? Sure, DCI DOES have a right to define it for THEMSELVES but that in no way gives them the right to define it for others. I sure am glad Disney didn't take that philosophy with Future Corps and Magic Kingdom Korps. I sure am glad Jim Mason and Bill Cook didn't take that philosphy with Blast - as well as their prior show known as "Star of Indiana Brass Theater". If either did, three of THE FINEST marching arts ensembles in the world would have never existed. And what a misconception to think it's ALL "drum corps alum reliving their youth". There are SO MANY people in senior corps who never even did Jr. Corps. They just started at the ripe old age of ______ in their senior corps - some not not even ever have HEARD of drum corps prior to their rookie year in a DCA corps. Seems like someone has a warped view of what is going on in the DCA activity. Assuming of course that the comments above are quoted in the right context.

Edited by torn8o

I went to Providence DCA show that was put on by DCI. If DCI wants to do this in the future some ground rules should be set by the DCA folks so there will be a better understanding about where the show is but, the stadium was full.. till the sky opened up and cancelled the show.

One thing I didn't like was there were no directions on how to get out there and over all the promotion of it, I just didn't get a great feeling about. But the corps I did see were awesome.

We showed up late cause the directions were not available to us and it was in the worst possible place. And we had to stop in a bad neighborhood (looked like) to ask for directions.....out in the middle of nowhere really compared to where DCI was..but I guess it depends on what the DCA folks were wanting from it..

Edited by Lancerlady

This thread will quickly get out of hand, though...I can assure you. :)

As long as there is relative conversation involving the topic, and NOT personal attacks, or the good ole "Junior vs Senior - Which is better?" type banter, discuss away.

Wait, I found the update from Feb 2004 on livewire....here we go:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/cgi-bin/art...ive=19&num=1150

bfhdznr: DCI and Senior Corps. DCI is the perennial powerhouse when it comes to drum corps, but interest and popularity in the DCA circuit has been growing. Now drawing corps from across the country to Scranton PA every year for their finals and on the verge it seems of becoming national drum corps circuit. What are the relations like between DCI and DCA? Do you or have the 2 organizations considered some sort of collaboration project, such as an ALL DRUM CORPS SHOWDOWN or FAN JUDGE CORP-A-THON? Also would DCI ever consider forming a senior division, giving the senior corps out there a chance to shine in the DCI forum or creating new senior corps?

Dan: If you followed my recent interview with Drum Corps World I pretty much summed all I can say about DCI and senior corps. Just read the second part of the interview (haha - those following the on-line discussion will get why this is somewhat humorous). I think it is great that DCA has grown in popularity as you suggest. The fact that so many people are enthused about participating in drum corps is terrific. The relationship between DCI and DCA has always been one of respect but limited collaboration. I have not had the pleasure of speaking with new DCA president Gil Silva, but I am open to discuss anything that might be beneficial to both organizations.

I do not foresee DCI having a senior division in the near future. It would be difficult to do justice to showcasing seniors at a DCI world championship event. We tried in Madison in 1999 and Buffalo in 2001 and it just isn't the place. I think it is best that DCA be the showcase for seniors where they can be the focus rather than another event in the DCI championship week. It seems the market DCA serves is more meaningful to them when isolated from the junior activity.