Your first Drum Corps Video?

Sorry I was trying to edit my post, not post it again.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions (just for fun to see where everyone started).

1) What was the first DCI Drum Corps video/DVD you ever owned?

2) Did you see that video/DVD before or after your first time seeing a DCI drum corps show live?

1) Star of Indiana Anthology ( won it in a contest ... Ive never bought one of my own they are jus too freakin expensive )

2) quite a few years after I had seen, let alone even after stared marching .. I dont even have any of my own shows on DVD

The first drum corps video I ever saw was the PBS DCI Finals broadcast of the 1986 Cavaliers. Stood in my HS bandhall in August of 86 with my jaw on the floor and a big smile on my face! I was hooked and decided I would march a corps in 1987 if there was a corps anywhere near my hometown of DeSoto, TX.

Luckily a few drummers from my high school had marched 86 Sky Ryders - and Mark Wessels (Sky's percussion caption head) was the head percussion instructor at DeSoto. So he made sure I had a ride to the first camp of the 87 season. (Rode up with Mary Searcy and Brad Lake - the scaffold jumper "Riff" from the beginning of the 87 WSS show.)

The 800 Video Express "Individual Corps Performance" of 88 Sky Ryders. (My 2nd year in corps.)

2) Did you see that video/DVD before or after your first time seeing a DCI drum corps show live?

I didn't actually see my first corps perform live till I had already performed my first drum corps show with Sky on Friday June 19, 1987 in Whitewater WI.

And who was the first corps I ever saw live? The Cavaliers. Doing Korean Folk Song again. What a treat! Their drill to that piece was what got me excited enough to actually become a member of a corps.

Edited by bradrick

1) 1987 PBS Broadcast (highlights of 2-11 and full Garfield).

2) Before (although my first show in 1988 was definitely a great one in Cincinnati 2 weeks before Finals):

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 91.300

2 Phantom Regiment 89.600

3 Madison Scouts 88.200

4 Velvet Knights 87.600

5 Spirit of Atlanta 83.800

6 Sky Ryders 76.100

7 Freelancers 73.800

8 Florida Wave 68.400

9 Glassmen 51.700

10 Limited Edition 45.900

1) I actually bought the entire legacy collection at once. Whoops. This was with my own money, too.

2) It was after I saw my first show (Allentown 03). Got to see BD rehearse Saturday during the day. Seeing them play Space Music from about fifty feet away was quite the welcome to drum corps.

Here is my response...

1) 1980 Full finals.

2) Before seeing a drum corps show live.

(I'm going to start the same thread on the DCA forum so keep it just DCI on this one).

Same but I saw the PBS broadcast of the 1980 Finals. Incredible...hook, line, and sinkered!

Here is my response...

1) 1980 Full finals.

(I'm going to start the same thread on the DCA forum so keep it just DCI on this one).

1) 1984 Finals -- video in the band room after all-days before school started that fall.

I remember the moment: PBS Broadcast circa 83-84 while turning channels. It was probably Thanksgiving weekend since Maryland PBS waited until then to show the broadcast. I had no idea what I was seeing, so I don't have a clear memory of it, but I was truly amazed at what these "bands" were doing. The formations floored me as both my older siblings were in the high school band that only had 20 or so members and weren't very good.

I went to a show in 1985 and remember Garfield and some Canadian corps, and again in 1986 and remember the Crossmen. My first SOLID memories of drum corps were of watching the 1986 finals tapes in the band room almost every day, and loving the Blue Devils. I was the first of my school to ever do corps in 1987 and have loved it since. The shows I saw live in 87 are still all burned into my memory, and I don't own any tapes to this day.

I attended my first show in 1979, but only saw two corps before it was rained out.

My high school band director had the 1979 record albums, and that was what really got me excited about drum corps.

I recorded the 1980 championships on PBS, which was broadcast after I marched my first season. I still have that VHS tape somewhere in my basement...