When is "OLD SCHOOL" Really

My first year of marching was 1982 when I marched with the Blues, so does this qualify me as "Old School"? :sshh: Let those young wipper snappers call us old school all they want! There time is coming..lol

I didn't know they called us "the Hollywood years" that one is new to me. :blink: I do however, remember them calling those years the "Broadway" years or something like that.

Nope, that's it, the Broadway years.....I couldn't remember what they were calling it.

I had no idea when they first said it!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we take Lancerfi's enterpretation of old school (pre 81 or 82) I have the unique but shared distinction of having marched both old school and new school. Cool :) Considering I also marched in 2004 and will march againg this year, I have done old school, new school, and just hatched school dinosaur style :P

Seems like there is a gray area of several years when there was a lot of fundamental change. The different sections changed at different times.

Percussion - grounding of instruments

Brass - switch from piston/rotor to 2-valve

Guard - gradual move toward dance and costuming that started in the late 70's but didn't hit hard til the 80's

Field show - Garfield 84

But, what I think of as the classic period or old school didn't last very long. True old school was color pre, starting in the end zone, inspection, valve/slide, single tenors. etc. That's all really pre DCI. I remember watching Skyliners in the mid 70's and thinking, DANG that's some old #### right there. 14 strapped snares down to their knees with sticks up to their eyes, a piercing narrow brass sound, gaurd with flag holsters who actually guarded something, straight lines and pinwheels. Those were great Skyliner corps and I wore out the records a long time ago, but it was a throwback style even then. Rampart Street Parade, Give My Regards to Broadway, New York, New York. Or the Hurricanes doing a full corps pinwheel that takes 3 minutes to rotate after playing Stormy Weather (again!). THAT was old school.

Case in point - Harvey Olderman. Even the name is old school. (I think there's a picture of him in the old photos thread courtesy of Uncle Z)

The first ten years of DCI was kind of a transition phase that saw a lot of innovation and breaking out of, or extension of that traditional mode. I think that's what made it so exciting.

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

Huh.... I would call Old Skool the time of the tic system, and "If you played it, you carried it." Which ended in 81 or 82.

My term went from 80-1987. TREMENDOUS amount of change to the activity in that time.

Right, that's what I said, we played and carried it and you say that ended in 81 or 82. So I think we agree. I'm not sure what the Huh means. Maybe it wasn't for me.

I marched under the tick system, that might be a good cut off period depending on who you talk to. You could have marched for 13 years and been there during the changes so I believe it's all relative. There was inspection, and OTL and Color Pre, and Concert and the Bye Bye Song. I went thru all of those changes. Each individual that marched may have a different intrepretation on what old school is.

And change took place at a rapid rate, I mean 81 is certainly quite different than say 83 and so on and so on and so on.....but there is no cut and dry answer right?? :peek:

Does this era become a different one than say 99 with the addition of trumpets and amps and singing?

(For all who read this, I said nothing bad about the above items in the last sentence, I'm just asking if that now makes 2004 a cut off point or if trumpets did-I don't believe the horn change did change much but not sure about the rest)

If we take Lancerfi's enterpretation of old school (pre 81 or 82) I have the unique but shared distinction of having marched both old school and new school. Cool :) Considering I also marched in 2004 and will march againg this year, I have done old school, new school, and just hatched school dinosaur style :P

So you were hatched? :P

Case in point - Harvey Olderman. Even the name is old school. (I think there's a picture of him in the old photos thread courtesy of Uncle Z)

No need to search for THAT........................

harvey.jpg

IMHO, Cliff is correct.....the change was pretty gradual and not universal. I know someone will point out my inaccuracy, but I think the final nail in the coffin of "old school" was about 1984, when Cadets, Spirit and Suncoast Sound all had a "Title" for their shows. :peek:

Oh great.....when 2006 is considered "old school" what will they call the mid-80s???

That'll be like hearing Billy Idol on an oldies station....

Pssst, hey 84BDsop.....aaaaaahhhhhh guess who I heard on our local OLDIES station not 5 minutes ago????

No ####.... Mr. BILLY "White Wedding" Idol himself !!!!!! b**bs b**bs

I know how you feel, the Cars song "Drive" was the next song after him !! B)

Pssst, hey 84BDsop.....aaaaaahhhhhh guess who I heard on our local OLDIES station not 5 minutes ago????

No ####.... Mr. BILLY "White Wedding" Idol himself !!!!!! b**bs b**bs

I know how you feel, the Cars song "Drive" was the next song after him !! B)

You're ####### kidding!!!!

Excuse me whilst I nip off and shoot meself....this has to be a sign of the Apocalypse!!

for me it is pre-84 is old school and anything before the pit was grounded is golden age. i'm sure people will disagree with me.