The Underappreciated Show Discussion Topic

1985 Phantom Regiment- Symphonie Phantastique

BINGO!

It would be great if they had the talent then that they do today to have pulled it off even better.

Rocketman - You look Phabulous!

ampssuck

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

94 Magic-- great to listen to, not much fun to watch

90 XMen-- SO much raw passion

85 Suncoast-- Monstrous talent for the day

88 VK-- WOuld-ve placed much higher any other year.

89 Star-- The most musical program they ever did.

95 SCV-- The first 10 minutes are a blast to listen to. Hated the hypno junk, though.

94 BK-- Visually, one the best that year.

80 Phantom-- Clean, clean, clean

77 Bridgemen-- Nobody ever gets to see or hear this show because of the goofy circumstances serrounding it.

77 Bridgemen-- Nobody ever gets to see or hear this show because of the goofy circumstances serrounding it.

Yeah! start a whole new thread about shows not heard through disqualification. Mine would be Muchchos 75.

:)

1985 Phantom Regiment- Symphonie Phantastique

I became a DCI fan in 1985, but I didn't become a Phantom Phan until the wonderful 1989 show. I always seemed to pass over Phantom in those interim years. After '89, I went back for a closer listen to the '85-'88 Regiment shows. '85 is a treat, even with its obvious performance problems.

But, for my money, an even better gem is Phantom 1988 (selections from Tchaikovsky's "Romeo & Juliet"), which gets lost in the shadows between 1987 (Songs from the Winter Palace - a popular PR offering) and '89.

Another show lost in the glare of its more famous siblings is Garfield Cadets 1985. The candlepower put out by the corps' '83 (1st East corps to win & nearly undefeated) & '84 (the landmark WSS) productions almost eclipse it.

Just about any finalist year of Suncoast Sound works for me, even 1987's "My Fair Lady"(!) I can't find another corps that could string together powerful, entertaining shows that many years in a row. Nor can I pick a fav. (OK, you twisted hard enough: 1985 "Florida Suite".)

Some more obscure shows I saw live that have stuck with me: Bluecoats 1995 (WWII Homefront show), Southwind 2000, and Blue Knights 1999 (Curnow's "Trittico for Brass Band").

Someone on here mentioned Regiment 89 and 96.

I think those are the MOST appreciated shows from PR

Underappreciated would definitely be:

85, 88, and 95

85 was a very difficult show for the time and just never got clean enough to get the attention it deserved.

88 was a great show, it simply got lost between 87 and 89.

I marched 86-90, 89 was my favorite, but 88 was a close second.

95 often gets overshadowed by 96, but I LOVE the 95 show and without it we don't get the 96 show.

ALSO:

Cadets 87 which is my favorite of all time. It gets lots of attention, but not enough in my opinion.

BD 92, when a man loves a woman was something else.

SCV 88, 89 gets all the attention, but having seen both live several times those summers, I will always believe 88 was the better show top to bottom. It may not have won, but I still think it should have.

Cavies 86. I am FAR from being a big Cavies fan, but this show is just beautiful.

I would add:

1994 Blue Knights (Tritico) (especially the ballad) Back when they were still the Blue Dots;

1995 Colts (Sunday in the Park With George) One of their best years and one of their most sophisticated programs;

1999 Colts (Voices) I loved this show (especially the Dies Irae) I think it's the best #12 show ever.

1989 Suncoast Sound (Florida Suite redux) This show is even more effective now when you know it's their last Finals show ever;

1991 Garfield (ABCs of Modern American Music) Cadets in a year when they were more concerned with experimenting than scoring. I love the Copland piece in the middle, most theatrical presentation ever;

2001 Bluecoats I believe thiswas the year they did the Red Cape Tango, but I loved this show.

1996 Bluecoats (Holidays) I even enjoyed the Labor Day tribute!

1997 L'Academie Musicale: The colorguard were incredible and Pie Jesu as a closer was excellent.

Whoever said Blue Knights 1999 was right on. I popped it in to listen to again, right after reading that. That section at the 9:30 mark is simply sweet.

Garfield Cadets 1979

Blue Devils 1980 & 1981

27th 1982 & 1985

Cavaliers 1985 & 1987

Star 1988, 1989 & 1992

SCV 1985, 1992 & 1996

Madison 1985 (BOO-YOW!)

Spirit 1982, 1987 & 1988

Phantom 1981, 1982 (Spartacus!), 1987 (amazing finalie with those huge bass drums!), 1990 & 1991

Sky Ryders 1987

OK my head hurts now......:-)

I'd like to say I enjoy watching it, but it wasnt allowed to be on DVD. If only I had a bootleg copy of it on my computer.. :P

why couldnt it be put on dvd

Edited by bd euph some day