Sad Moments in Drum Corps

For me there are a couple of sad moments.

1 - Being on tour with Sprit when "The Wreck" happened. I never will forget the next night we saw them. Man , I felt so sad for them. I will never forget talkin' with some of them. I'm getting choked up now just thinking about it.

2 - After being away from Drum corps for 22 years I returned to find that Drum corps has changed into a high priced broadway show that was performed for the judge's and not the fans ! <**>

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. But I fail to see the "sad" in that. Irony, maybe. Sad, no.

oh, i didn't realize that we needed to run it by you first...my bad. Does it make any difference if you think it was sad or not? It's a judgement call dude...but I'm glad you proved yourself an ### by letting us all know how you felt. thanks!

:blink:

now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

sad moment: the loss of a member's father who was on tour with us while on our free day in Niagra Falls during finals week in '95. A heart attack claimed him while at dinner with his age-out son. The son was a soloist who performed his solo finals night...just 3 days after watching his father die. Truly sad...

Whoah! Why should I apologize to YOU PERSONALLY for voicing my opinion? Read the whole thread dude.

Plus, I've already apologized earlier. So you're just double pointing out a misinterpretation and an earlier apology.

The only one here looking like an ###, is you. For beating down an already dead horse.

Last I checked, everyone here is entitled to opinion. SOMEONE was eventually going to fall from the top 12. Especially, as other up and coming corps get better and better.

Facts of life are not sad. Just natural.

Edited by apoch003

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this wasn't the thread to discuss it. No one asked for your comment about the show or anything having to do with it. You went and attacked the first poster for thinking it was sad...did that need comment? LIke I said...judgement call. And from your last few comments, I fail to see the apology...but anyhow, I'm ending this because everyone will just get p*ssed off, and it's ridiculous to continue. Everyone else can see for themselves how it came across. This is one of the reasons I initially quit coming on here...stupidity reigning supreme...

so ya, I apologize to everyone else that I even responded in the first place...I should have been able to spot a troll by now...bad Justin!

:P

Edited by BigBadMadMan

To me there is nothing sadder than watching two selfish individuals hijack an otherwise nice thread and degenerate it into name calling. You know who you are. Now cut it out!

Edited by Cainan

As someone who marched his first show in 1965, and has traveled with corps in some capacity every year since, I think it is sad that so many people now judge the value of the entire activity simply by whether or not they are "entertained" at a few contests they attend each year. If you really want to know if drum corps is still an important activity, volunteer to help a corps (ANY corps) at a camp, at Spring training, or on tour. You'll be amazed at the impact this activity still has on the most important element, the members.

And, before I get flamed, yes, fans are important, instructors are important, volunteers are important, management is important, etc., etc. BUT, the reason people like Jim Jones, Gail Royer, my Dad, etc., started corps was to benefit the kids. If not for them, the activity would not have existed to begin with.

Moving back to the thread that I began.......if you have issues please PM each other or set up a time and place to meet to duke it out......back to our regularly sponsored show.

Sad time for me was may of 1982.

We had been rehearsing all year and were going to change our image. We had new uniforms that made the corps look older (the original was cute when the corps started with 9-12 year old boys, not for an older group). We had a great upbeat show.

But we were down in numbers etc. The director finally decided to fold the corps. He didn't want to march with too small a group that wouldn't do the members justice.

Also, from the winter on, one of our members was battling brain cancer. He was a charter member and a senior in high school. He died just a few days before his graduation. His funeral turned out to be sorta a funeral for the organizaton also. :(

On a good note:

Shortly after that the brass caption head and a guard instructor were married in the same Catholic church where the funeral had been held. The coprs played as they came out of the church. It was our last performance. :)

Edited by shawn craig