• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this order:

SCV 00

SCV 04

PR 03

Cavies 04

SCV 03

Notice that I said listen to the drum judge's tape and you'll hear the Cadets' trumpet line playing with less than characteristic tone. Has nothing to do with what the brass judge thought, and obviously the drum judge said nothing about it. I just think Cadets' trumpet line didn't play with good balance or blend, and that kind of rules them out for best brassline of the 00s.

um... i would never use the crappy little microphone in a cassette dictation device to judge music..... EVER.

and I know a thing or two about mics.

Usual Disclaimers

w/Stp:

um... i would never use the crappy little microphone in a cassette dictation device to judge music..... EVER.

and I know a thing or two about mics.

Whatever, I still stand by my statement. Cadets trumpets overplayed this year. Their tone was pretty consistently bad throughout the show. And I made this opinion before I ever even saw the DVD. That said, I think throwing the tape recorder out completely as a source is a bit short-sighted.

You know, I've always thought that the hornline sounds awful on every judge's tape I've ever heard. Way distorted and rough. Loved the Cadets trumpets this year. The best they've sounded in a very long time, IMO.

Whatever, I still stand by my statement. Cadets trumpets overplayed this year. Their tone was pretty consistently bad throughout the show. And I made this opinion before I ever even saw the DVD. That said, I think throwing the tape recorder out completely as a source is a bit short-sighted.

does anyone else think they were trying to make a statement with really loud trupmets that year? with a lot of people complaining about the switch from bugles, maybe hop wanted to come out, guns blazing...

i think im gonna agree with you there

anyway

BD 00

SCV 00

Cadets 00

Cadets 01

Cavies 01

BD 02

Cadets 02

BD 03

Phantom 03

SCV 04

BD 04

Cavies 04

BD 05

Phantom 05

Bluecoats 05

Cadets 05

For me its a tie between 03 BD and 04 BD. Both were phenomenal lines.

However, Id like to support whoever mentioned the 05 BD line.

I sincerely feel that the 05 BD hornline has one of the absolute best ensemble sound qualities ever. This is marred by their very dirty exectution, unfortunately, and as a result, many people dont ever take notice of just how good of a sound the 05 BD hornline produced.

But man, the 05 BD trumpets couldn't nail a release spot on if their life depended on it!