DCPI - Live Season -- Brainstorming Thread

Another proposed change

DIV 2/3 Finals week - more like the current setup for real finals week

Prelims - All corps compete

Semis - top 9 from each division

Finals - top three from every division plus next 6 highest scores

top five corps (by score, regardless of division) from finals advance to DIV 1 Prelims

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay as in pointless

Then I'll speak for my fellow glbt directors and request that you say "pointless" if that's what you're trying to say. Gay doesn't mean "pointless" or "stupid" or any of the other connotations that it's picked up these days. :)

Edited by Galen

Something I'd like to see is a little better research when it comes to the season schedule. In all earnestness, there were some places on the tour this season that had me scratching my head (ie where IS Yuba City CA? Would corps at the Catalina show have to take a boat out to the island? What's in Kingman AZ that makes it worth having a major division 2/3 focus show there, etc etc).

In fact, if it please the management, I'd like to take a crack at writing the tour schedule for the league next season. I think the tourbook I put together this season has been pretty popular and helpful at helping directors plan out where they want to go, and additionally, I've spent the last few months doing some major research on sports stadiums at all levels (NCAA Div 1, 1-AA, 2 and 3, as well as soccer stadiums, JUCO facilities, and so on) in my role of tour planner for the new DCI-FT circuit, and I think I'd be able to bring a new element of fun and realism to DCPI in this role. If anybody is interesting in viewing a "portfolio" of my work/research, they can see the first full season's schedule for DCI-FT here: http://www.freewebs.com/maverickdbc/tourschedule.htm

No, I don't think a regional division I would be pointless. I think it would be more realistic in a sense that the corps would be doing more regional touring, and then the last few weeks of tour--heading out to where ever finals is. This would be a good choice for new directors who want to test the waters of Division I, or division II directors who want to learn how to compete with the current Division I directors. These regional Division I corps, with only 125 would still be competing with the 140 point corps. I myself have done some Math, and they would fair well competitively.

Though financial isnt a concern in the fantasy world... the tour schedule, time, and commitment of each director is--and that is just as realistic. Perhaps some directors can't be as active as some of us around here, but still want the benefits of being Division I--why not let them do that? Or perhaps, Overdrive winning Division II or St. Pete now going to Division I will give other corps a chance. I think adding this will give more of a variety.

The reason I said 5 corps, was to keep flooding from happening. No director should have more than 2 corps per Division (in my proposal). If you have 2 regular Division I corps, and a regional Division I, that is acceptable, then you can have one Division II and one Division III. Or you can re-configure. Basically, I am trying to scale down the amount of corps, one director can have. I as well as other directors have flooded the league, and personally, I am tired of competing with myself. There is no need to have 8 corps, I mean some can manage that many (myself), but why, when I can put my time and thinking into fewer and be more competitive. The only reason why some of us had 6-8 corps this season, is because of the lack of directors and corps.

I'd rather have a smaller league than have 50 corps, and half of them being clone corps, and me competing with myself.

Then I'll speak for my fellow glbt directors and request that you say "pointless" if that's what you're trying to say. Gay doesn't mean "pointless" or "stupid" or any of the other connotations that it's picked up these days. :)

Whatever.

But now that you've explained the whoLE regional thing, it makes a little bit more sense. I dont think where the corps compete on a certain day will effect scoring. So if a new div 1 decided to have all it's shows in CA (like Redcoats), then so be it.

But I like the whole touring where ever you want part of it.. that's what makes it Fantasy Drum Corps.

But I know where your coming from though, kinda.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Suggestion

Division I

Regional Division I

Division II

Division III

And then have a Novice class, for those new directors who don't know much about DCI or DCI's scoring, this will allow them to become a little more familiar with DCI and DCP--in the end allowing them to move up from Novice to one of the Divisions, becoming a more competitive player. The total amount of points for this "Novice" classifcation would be 85 points. Novice corps, would be able to compete in a maximum of 15 - 20 shows throughout the season. After one season of Novice, they would then be able to make the choice as to what Division they would like to compete in. They would also be able to compete in Championships in "Novice Class"--should their not be sufficient Novice corps, then the ones who are competing would advance to the next round (this could be re-tweaked later on).

I'm suggesting these proposals, to help people. We say we want more people to come, but our system is setup for DCI folks, and let's face it, not everyone in this league is familiar with recaps and how it works. Sure they can visit FDCI, but that is just only one part of it. I think we need to be user friendly, drawing in more people. I see people browsing this forum all the time who come from DCA backgrounds, or Division II/III backgrounds. Having a Novice class would be a great way to teach and train them to be competitive.

----

I know several people on here, probably think I have some hidden agenda with all these suggestions/proposals I am suggesting, but I am really thinking about everyone. This should be fun for us all, and everyone should feel like they are competitive and can do great things.

Something I'd like to see is a little better research when it comes to the season schedule. In all earnestness, there were some places on the tour this season that had me scratching my head (ie where IS Yuba City CA? Would corps at the Catalina show have to take a boat out to the island? What's in Kingman AZ that makes it worth having a major division 2/3 focus show there, etc etc).

In fact, if it please the management, I'd like to take a crack at writing the tour schedule for the league next season. I think the tourbook I put together this season has been pretty popular and helpful at helping directors plan out where they want to go, and additionally, I've spent the last few months doing some major research on sports stadiums at all levels (NCAA Div 1, 1-AA, 2 and 3, as well as soccer stadiums, JUCO facilities, and so on) in my role of tour planner for the new DCI-FT circuit, and I think I'd be able to bring a new element of fun and realism to DCPI in this role. If anybody is interesting in viewing a "portfolio" of my work/research, they can see the first full season's schedule for DCI-FT here: http://www.freewebs.com/maverickdbc/tourschedule.htm

I do use a state maps when I create the tours. I try to have an equal amount of shows in each region. As weird as it sounds, the west doesn't have the same number of cities as the east, midwest and south so I have to grab smaller cities to fill the schedule.

Suggestion

Division I

Regional Division I

Division II

Division III

And then have a Novice class, for those new directors who don't know much about DCI or DCI's scoring, this will allow them to become a little more familiar with DCI and DCP--in the end allowing them to move up from Novice to one of the Divisions, becoming a more competitive player. The total amount of points for this "Novice" classifcation would be 85 points. Novice corps, would be able to compete in a maximum of 15 - 20 shows throughout the season. After one season of Novice, they would then be able to make the choice as to what Division they would like to compete in. They would also be able to compete in Championships in "Novice Class"--should their not be sufficient Novice corps, then the ones who are competing would advance to the next round (this could be re-tweaked later on).

I'm suggesting these proposals, to help people. We say we want more people to come, but our system is setup for DCI folks, and let's face it, not everyone in this league is familiar with recaps and how it works. Sure they can visit FDCI, but that is just only one part of it. I think we need to be user friendly, drawing in more people. I see people browsing this forum all the time who come from DCA backgrounds, or Division II/III backgrounds. Having a Novice class would be a great way to teach and train them to be competitive.

----

I know several people on here, probably think I have some hidden agenda with all these suggestions/proposals I am suggesting, but I am really thinking about everyone. This should be fun for us all, and everyone should feel like they are competitive and can do great things.

I like the Novice deal... But would are you saying new directors HAVE to enter the corps into novice for the first year?

and the regional division 1 corps... do you mean an entire division to them? I dont like that. if a corps decides to go regional, then they should remain in the full division 1 circuit. If that's not what you mean, disregard my post.

~>conner