DCPI - Live Season -- Brainstorming Thread

Since it will be hard to get a quorum together (time zone issues), why don't we all vote here.

There has been talk in a couple topics about making tweeking some of the rules for the DCP-I VI season.

A few that was talked about:

1) No more than 5 corps per director

2) Return of the 0.2 pts/show

3) More D2/3 driven shows

And there is always the non ending percussion caption thing, but for now, I will vote on the main 3.

My vote on these would be:

1) Yes

2) Abstain

3) Yes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

yes

abstain

Someone else will explain this later, but I will throw it out here now.

Percussion Caption:

We would change the name to Music Percussion.

Instead of choosing two seperate corps captions for percussion as we do now (Perc Field and Perc Ensemble), we will choose only ONE corps for Music Percussion. When we choose that corps for Music Percussion, we will accept the average of that ONE corps field percussion score, and percussion ensemble score as the final score for Music Percussion. This is similar to how it was in the first two seasons of the league.

Example: with this type of change, I would be able to choose SCV for Music Percussion:

-If they scored 16.80 at a normal show, then there wouldnt be anything to average, and I would earn 16.80 for that show.

-If they were at a regional or championships format show, and they scored 18.8 (Field Percussion) and 19.0 (Ensemble Percussion), I would then earn 18.9 as my average total Music Percussion score.

With the current rule, directors in most cases are forced to go with lower picks for the percussion caption. If we change back to the format that I am suggesting here, we will see more variety in the league, and better percussion sections. Not only that, it will make things more realistic. Scores across the board would be more consistant... So instead of having 17's and 18's in GE, Music, Visual and Guard and that 13 in percussion, the scores would reflect that of a true performance on a given night. Now I am aware there are cases of a corps having significantly low numbers in a caption, but generally that isnt the case.

To recap:

Music Percussion = Percussion Field + Percussion Ensemble / 2 (which is the average of both sub captions from your caption pick of ONE corps). Changing to this would only allow you to choose one corps for percussion. You would no longer be able to choose two corps for the percussion performance captions. I see this as a pro, because you can get more consistant results with choosing one corps, rather than choosing a low placing percussion with a higher one.

Example:

I'm also aware that you can choose a 25 point corps, and a 15-18 point corps for percussion, and get similar results, but that means you might have to give up more points somewhere else, when you could choose ONE 22 point corps and get the same score, giving you more points to use somewhere else.

Something to think about... and hopefully this gets read and looked at carefully this time. Other directors with knowledge of this particular proposal, please speak up. I thought I was detailed enough here, but I know others could go even further.

Someone else will explain this later, but I will throw it out here now.

Percussion Caption:

We would change the name to Music Percussion.

Instead of choosing two seperate corps captions for percussion as we do now (Perc Field and Perc Ensemble), we will choose only ONE corps for Music Percussion. When we choose that corps for Music Percussion, we will accept the average of that ONE corps field percussion score, and percussion ensemble score as the final score for Music Percussion. This is similar to how it was in the first two seasons of the league.

Example: with this type of change, I would be able to choose SCV for Music Percussion:

-If they scored 16.80 at a normal show, then there wouldnt be anything to average, and I would earn 16.80 for that show.

-If they were at a regional or championships format show, and they scored 18.8 (Field Percussion) and 19.0 (Ensemble Percussion), I would then earn 18.9 as my average total Music Percussion score.

With the current rule, directors in most cases are forced to go with lower picks for the percussion caption. If we change back to the format that I am suggesting here, we will see more variety in the league, and better percussion sections. Not only that, it will make things more realistic. Scores across the board would be more consistant... So instead of having 17's and 18's in GE, Music, Visual and Guard and that 13 in percussion, the scores would reflect that of a true performance on a given night. Now I am aware there are cases of a corps having significantly low numbers in a caption, but generally that isnt the case.

To recap:

Music Percussion = Percussion Field + Percussion Ensemble / 2 (which is the average of both sub captions from your caption pick of ONE corps). Changing to this would only allow you to choose one corps for percussion. You would no longer be able to choose two corps for the percussion performance captions. I see this as a pro, because you can get more consistant results with choosing one corps, rather than choosing a low placing percussion with a higher one.

Example:

I'm also aware that you can choose a 25 point corps, and a 15-18 point corps for percussion, and get similar results, but that means you might have to give up more points somewhere else, when you could choose ONE 22 point corps and get the same score, giving you more points to use somewhere else.

Something to think about... and hopefully this gets read and looked at carefully this time. Other directors with knowledge of this particular proposal, please speak up. I thought I was detailed enough here, but I know others could go even further.

yes

yes to everything...

Andrew Buffenmyer

Director of the NEWLY formed Drum Corps... Morningstar from Washington, DC.

yes

yes

yes

5 corps... yes no more then 3 in 1 division

.2 bonus... Yes.... No stocking up of points though! Call it the Brass Ablaze clause. ^0^ Use it or loose it!

2/3.... Yes

Percussion... YES!

Who will keep track of the no stocking up of points? I like the use it or loose it thing to, but it wasn't really enforced well in past seasons.

And I would have to say no more than 2 corps for Division I, but Division II/III is fine if you want more.