DCPI - Live Season -- Brainstorming Thread

Start posting your thoughts and ideas for things you want to see happen next season. I know, it is still a bit early to start thinking, but if we can get some down here, maybe others can elaborate on each others ideas to make them clear and more understandable.

Idea 1: No more than 5 corps per director for the live season (you divide them up how you wish). This will prevent flooding. As it is already, we will have some directors who will make up a great percentage of finals in all divisions. What is the purpose of having a fantasy circuit if the players are playing against themselves? I don't see a problem with having 2 corps in a division--my issue is just an overall thing at this point. My reasons for having an influx this season is because in the Division II/III area, we didn't have nearly as much competition as the Division I. I was also under the impression that a director was only allowed 8 junior corps, and only two of them could be Division I. If we want more corps to compete, then we should all do our part and recruit in other forums to get more people here. I've seen people browsing this league recently, so I know there is interest.

Idea 2: Have caption changes equally dispursed throughout the season. It just seems like this last caption change was yesterday. I think a better idea would be to have a caption change right before each focus show. So 1 before the first regional, 1 before "Preview of Champions", 1 before Championships, etc...etc... This way, it is easier for us all to know when to expect a change, and it makes logical sense. Most corps are making their big changes before a regional and then shortly after, and before the next one.

Idea 3: This is one I had for the past two seasons (and another director will probably have some light to shed on this). Let's have a regional division I division. It would be woth 125 points (a value that is in between Division I and Division II), and they would only be allowed to attend a certain amount of shows throughout the season.

Idea 4: When the schedule comes out, if there is only 1 - 3 corps performing at a venue... Cancel the show. There should be ample amount of shows to attend, to have good competition. I know there are cases of this in DCI, where there will be a show with just a few corps, but we are all competitive here. I think their should be a minium of 5-6 corps for each show. But you can adjust that number to make it relative to how many of each division are in the league for this coming season.

Idea 5: Allow those who submit caption changes late, to do so. We all have our reasons for them being late. But, penalize them at the first show in which their captions are in effect. If this passes, we can all decide on a fair amount of points to dock. It would only be for that one show though.

Idea 6: I like the all captions due at once thing--but I could go for the other way we used to have too. I would say, whenever scores have to be delayed, just use a "rain out" and move on to the next show in which scores will be input, in order to catch up. This way, the board isnt stressed out. One or two shows here and there is not going to hurt anyone. This would not effect the bonus points, because it would be like a "rain check"

more ideas to come later...

Once I figure out how I want to propose these, I will turn them into proposals with better support for each of them. But I just wanted to throw these two ideas out there. I do have more.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go back to the old bonus point system

No more than 5 corps per director shouldn't have to wait till elections (not that I'm saying to go against it or anything) but it's pretty ridiculous now.

I'll agree to (and abide by) that.

Something that I'd like to see is Div 2/3 focus shows that are in better (and more significant) locations.

For DCIFT (we've already got our full schedule made up), we mirror the DCI schedule when the major regionals start, and we have the D2/3 focus shows in significant venues in the same location. For instance, when DCI is in the Georgia Dome, our D1 corps will be there and the D2/3's will be at Morris Brown's stadium in west Atlanta. When the D1's are in Allentown, the D2/3's are at Muhlenburg Stadium, 3 blocks west of J Birney Crum. Something along those lines.

There has been talk in a couple topics about making tweeking some of the rules for the DCP-I VI season.

A few that was talked about:

1) No more than 5 corps per director

2) Return of the 0.2 pts/show

3) More D2/3 driven shows

I'm certain there was more, but these are the ones that stand out.

What do you directors think? Get a quorum together and decided if you want to make these temporary changes. Then come Rules Congress time they can be introduced as a "permanent" change.