Brandt Crocker

Yea, but he should NEVER convey to the audience his personal emotions. If he's going to get excited about one corps, he should do it for EVERY corps, regardless of the situation. Very unprofessional.

um.....aorry, but in announcing, to help get the spectators going, it's more than ok to infuse some extra oomph now and then. it's called knowing when the pull the strings

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets pretend for a minute that he does have a bias. If he was the biggest Cavaliers fan in the world and single handedly kept them on the road, does it matter? Are we all so topiced out that the best we can do today is if the best announcer in DCI has a bias? He doesnt make up the scores before he announces them! C'mon guys... he's a guy thats good at a job. And that job is announcing scores that the judges come up. Wouldnt we be better off discussing the judges biases?

oh no, another Chuck King thread :P

TO EVERYONE!

I AM NOT SAYING CROCKER IS OR EVER WAS A BAD/BIASED ANNOUNCER! ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE HEARD, LIKE THE PERSON WHO STARTED THE TOPIC, HIS TONE OF VOICE CHANGE FOR HIS EXCITEMENT FOR CERTAIN SHOWS! NOT TO DISPLAY THIS EXCITEMENT FOR EVERY CORPS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE UNPROFESSIONAL! I WOULD NEVER, NEVER, TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE I CONSIDER THAT TO BE RUDE! I DIDN'T SAY WHAT I DID TO STRIKE CONTROVERSY, ONLY TO STATE MY OPINION!!!!!!

so, lemme make sure i understand you....you're saying he ISN'T biased?

:P

You ARE insulting somebody, though. His name is Brandt Crocker.

The consensus is that Brandt Crocker is a fan of drum corps, period.

Showing vocal inflection that REFLECTS the situation is not "unprofessional." Was it unprofessional for the announcer to begin weeping during the reporting of the Hindenburg Disaster? Was it unprofessional for radio announcers to be jubilant upon announcing that WWII had ended??

On the contrary, vocal inflection HUMANIZES the disembodied voice floating above us for the hours we're in that stadium and kind of wraps the whole night up in a big shiny bow.

I'm sure he gets excited when exciting things happen.. kind of like Cavaliers winning their first championship.. or Garfield's three-peat.. or the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps entering the field in exhibition ... or the PR/BD championship tie.. or announcing the passing of a cherished member of the drum corps community (yes, he was crying.. you can hear it).

The concensus is NOT that his tone or delivery was "unprofessional" but that if it happened his delivery showed a change from the last time he announced a world champion, it could have been caused by any number of things -- up to and including the din of the crowd or the excitement of the moment after a week's or a season's worth of buildup.. or excitement because a kid he knew was aging out with a ring!

Unprofessional would be pumping his fist, screaming "#### YEAH.. THE CAVALIERS!! WOOO BABY!! CAVIES PWN J00!!" and telling everyone who lost to suck it.

Stef

yeah, i mean next mr Crocker will go into an OT Forum and totally miss a joke and lecture someone on religion.

Oh and by the way, how many times do I have to repeat myself in saying that he is not an unprofessional/terrible announcer! All I am saying is that he has had a few moments of unprofessional-ness!

ok, so lemme get this right...you're still saying he is professional and not terrible?

:P

If there ever was an example of a thread being absurd, this one is. Brandt Crocker is a legend, and has been a staple of DCI finals week, and frankly is a heck of a nice guy. It is hard to imagine a finals without his voice at the mic. Have we gotten so bored over the winter that we stoop to this?

Next topic please. <**>

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

You know what, I am not going to take this ######## from all of you anymore. I am being bullied for my opinion, made fun of, and mocked! I haven't done that to a single one of you up until now, and I do not appreciate the low blows and complete lack of courtesy! Shame on all of you that have done that.

well, may i offer you a suggestion:

if you're going to throw something out there, and then later try to clarify it with a lot more detail than you originally said it with, then run around crying all day that po widdle you is being picked on, well , then yeah, you're gonna get what you have gotten...cause that's what you have done.

or..........you could say "you're right, i didnt clarify myself properly, i apologize", then either gotten more specific in your complaints, as well as not crying boohoo they're picking on me, IMO, you would be in a lot better shape.

I agree with Jeff. You could have done a lot better off just not saying it's unprofessional. Mainly because you're not an announcer and have no clue how to do it.

As my little self-appointed title says below, I'm a professional announcer on the west coast and have been for a good 20 years. It is ABSOLUTELY my job to provide some drama, ESPECIALLY during the awards ceremony. Crowds eat it up. I've done it literally hundreds of times over the years at marching band, drum corps, and winter guard shows out here and have never ONCE been told I was unprofessional, and I have been a LOT more "blatant" about it then Brandt (of course, I think I have a better voice than Brandt, but that's a whole 'nother thread--JUST KIDDING CROCKER!!!)

In any event...calling out someone in public (while it's your right--whatever) and saying what they do is unprofessional to me in rather rude. So, that's not a low blow at you. But it is my opinion.

that reminds me....there's this anouncer on the West Coast.

wow, what a homer. talk about unprofessional...he makes Fran Harings lack of fashion sense look good :P

( you set me up too well buddy, i had to go there :P)

Holy good GOD, people!

Other than BDSop, not a single other person has even hinted at HEARING the said inflection (Finals 1992). I've been listening to his fantastic announcing since 1982, and never EVER has he made a ruckus like that. And stop with the "it was loud" jazz. Madison's 1988 win reaction was TEN TIMES louder!!!

I just wondered who else---based upon hearing the SAME evidence (from videos)---might have had the same thought.

Brandt gets excited for the activity. Yes he got excited for the Cavaliers win in 1992 (as did the crowd at Camp Randall)...he got excited for Madison's win in '88 (as did those at Arrowhead Stadium)...he got excited at SCV's banquet in 2004 (which he attended, following SCV's participation in the Rose Parade)...and the list goes on...

Just for reference...

Anyway, as I stated above, I heard it...and, I remember thinking when he announced Cavaliers in first that it sounded a bit more enthusiastic than normal...but, I also remember he went nuts in '88, too (I was in the stadium and the thundering crowd necessitated it)...

But, the '92 crowd was also raucus, being that it was Cavies first win...and, with the history they've had in the activity (consistent VFW champs, then nothing in DCI until '92) it was akin to the excitement when the Boston Red Sox won the championship in baseball a couple of years ago...finally, after a long dry spell, a championship.