Toughest Hornbook of the 00's

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's no contest. Cadets 2001.

It's not just the mellos. Listen to the soprano lines, the baritones, the contra parts are tough and use incredible range, and the sheer number of solos and small ensembles. Great stuff!

2. Blue Devils 2002

3. Cadets 2005

4. Phantom 2003

5. Cavaliers 2002

wow....three pages later and no one has said it.....ok fine I will.

Phantom Regiment 2000

:laugh::worthy::bleah::bleah::laugh::bleah::bleah::bleah::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

to me, regiment 2000 sounds like one of those sounds that is very hard to get. Like it seemed that it could be either great, or on the edge of sounding horrible...

Regiment 2000 was a meaty book...and the ending gives me goosebumps/nightmares.

Whatta hornline!

(Regiment 2000)

Love the show, and considered saying it, but I chose not to because there are distinctively more difficult horn books in this decade, even by Phantom in other years. If this thread was about "underrated hornlines of the 2000's" I would definitely mention it, but their individual parts weren't too challenging that year. Plus, they've marched shows with much more visual demand.

00 BK...counterpoint for days, melodic counterpoint, stylistic counterpoint, tricky staging...brass band, Peter Graham writes some of the most difficult music out there.

Well, Dick Saucedo is a master of writing music that is incredibly hard that doesn't sound hard unless you know what to listen for. The difficulty in his music is very subtle.

But, let's be honest, who among the top few corps every year doesn't have a difficult horn book. But, I believe that music that requires a larger variety of skills is much more difficult that to play than it is to play 10 minutes of the same style with slightly more black notes on the page.

Now, you have stated that Cadets '01 is more difficult. The reason that I do not agree with you is that this hornbook is more limited in what it is asking the members to do. Yes, there are the mello lines that are quite spritely, but those are only in the mellos. There doesn't seem to be anything that challenging in the other parts. In fact, if I remember correctly the trumpets don't play anything technical after the first 30 seconds. The book was also written to be played successfully with the same style throughout. Even Moondance is play with the same articualtion style and gesture as the classical pieces in that show.

So I made a bold statement, no one has ever thought I was a very demure person. At least, I can back up what I say with logical, thoughtful reasons. While all you have done is made a statement and then criticized people who have a different opinion from you. I'm sure you have your reasons for your belief, but you have not stated them here.

Absolutely 100% disagree. I understand my bias, but come on, are you kidding me? I'll hold back on my many logical, thoughful reasons for my own sanity.

Difficult brass books of the 00's:

- Regiment 2004 So many notes, and so ungodly good.

- Blue Devils 2004 Just a machine. Best brassline of the decade, and a helacious book

- Regiment 2000-2002 - 3 very hard books, with 2001 the hardest

- Cadets 2001

- SCV 2003 - demand in every way, both in the book & the simultaneous field coverage & visual demands

- Regiment 2003 - The entire book wasn't off the chart in terms of difficult, but boy, the Ostinato was crazy. Not only that, but the level of emotion required by that book & delivered is not easy, either.

Harvey

This is a hard topic to come up with an answer for. I'm a horns guy, but I think it's hard for most of us on the outside looking in to really get a handle on what is considered difficult. Sometimes what appears difficult to us only seems that way because it isn't cleanly performed. Sometimes the visual program adds difficulty to music that would not be difficult standing still. And sometimes we become impressed with a show that we enjoy, and our tastes influence our evaluations.

So I'm sorry if I didn't name any specific shows. All I can say is that I'm impressed with just about every book in finals, year in and year out. Way to go, guys. :)