Why can't The Cadets ( and other Drumcorps ) just be considered Ar

(Intially I was going to place this in the "Brace Yourselves...Cadets with Voice" thread, but I realized that this issue goes way beyond The Cadets constant push to the edge of infinity....)

Wow......I don't check this board that often, and by no means am I a DCP word of mouth Junkie, but I would have never thought that this thread about The Cadets 06 ballad with voice would have gotten this much attention. They are definitely the hottest topic in Drumcorps right now it seems.

I think everyone should chill out!!!! B) I URGE everyone to let The Cadets do what they do. Besides....... they ARE artist in their own right!!!!!!

The Cadets ( and any other Drumcorp for that matter ) are many things; one of which is a group of people who together make art. As an artist myself, I can say I would be ****ed before I ever let what someone WANTS to SEE OR WANTS to HEAR ultimately determine how I use my ability.

Ok....So.... lets speed up my point.... to make it simple.....my viewpoint as an artist is............If you don't like my art..........**** you!!!!

Yes, yes, yes.........I understand that fans support Drumcorps in many ways, one of which is financially. Yeah yeah yeah...... blah blah blah, but IMO, The currently marching corp members will always and forever be more important than everyone else. Fans and alumni included. I wouldn't march drumcorp for anyone else but myself. Never forget that you can have a Drumcorp without fans......but you can't have Drumcorp fans without a Drumcorp.

The fact is that true artist don't make things according to other people's desires. Artist make things because they think they shoud be made.

Once someone starts making things primarily according to others people's desires you know what he/she becomes?!?!?!?!?

AN ENTERTAINER........ who only exist for other people's amusement.

Drumcorp for me is much more than just entertainment for fans and alumni.

I read through some of these Cadets 06 Ballad Threads and I also came across some posts concerning other very questionable design decisions regarding some other corps programs. I started to laugh.......I was like.....ARE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!? :worthy: DO THEY REALLY THINK THEIR OPINIONS MATTER THAT MUCH?!?!?! :bleah:

I think many people on this board who are hardcore about ANY belief they have about what drumcorps IS and SHOULD BE are gravelly mistaken in their logic. You can think anything you want and YOU SHOULD. Go right a head. But I say to you don't just assume that the Fans and Alumni are priority #1.......They're not.

IMO.....FANS and Alumni and vastly secondary!!!!!......some might not want to believe this but it's true. Drumcorps IMO will never and should never do whatever the fans and alumni demand that they do.

( OH and trust me do they demand!......especially the Ol' school alumni...NOT all of them, but many of them are like.....No amps!....NO props!...NO Amped Voice.....No Bb anything!!....Blasphemy You Infidels!!!.....JIHAD!!!!) I luv ya guys and gals :) , but you don't march any more. Deal with it. ) People who currently march drumcorp are not merely entertainers.

Just curious to know what people think about these issues. I really think these issues are the Crux of many debates. Just a note on The Cadets.....I am not trying to speak for the organization or the person.......but......Marc Sylvester does consider himself an artist. Take that for what it's worth.

To wrap up...... Let The Cadets 06 and other Drumcorps do what they want to do. NO ONE (including fans and alumni....despite how much money they claim to spend) has the right to tell them what to do, or how to do, whatever they decide to do in their show.

Again.......I stress.......it is THEIR show. Let Artists be Artists. What do ya say DCP?

Edited by SCdrumcorpsfan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, this issue of "letting them do what they want." No one is filing an injunction or forcing their way into design meetings to try to get Cadets to do something different. They can do what they will. We are under no obligation to like it. If Cadets are going to be "artists," they better remember that everyone's a critic and their idea of art will be as roundly criticized as anyone else's.

It's drum corps, not drumcorp.

Can you not relate to the fact that drum corps is something that people feel very fervently about?

I understand your point though, and agree with most of it.

I agree with some of what you say, and disagree with some of it. There is no right or wrong about opinions. People will voice theirs. Some will agree. Some won't. It's called discussion.

Hope you feel better unloading, though. :)

I agree with you bluestarcontra that critics will come, but I have read and heard some people's "criticism" and It has very often sounded like hate speech with strong implications of "this is being said by me to change what The Cadets do".

Never the less. You bring up a very solid point. Good show.

Sorry about the Unloading......I only read and post once in a while.......I have a lot of built up stuff to say....

Also sorry about the constant mispelling of Drum Corp........that's how I am use to typing it in my Username.....LOL

Edited by SCdrumcorpsfan

I 'll be keeping my eye on this one, let's keep it civil. :)

I think the whole point of a board like this is to question choices that are made, whether a member....designer...or fan likes it or not.

Not everything that is done, every choice that is made...is for the good of the activity. Sometimes there needs to be a counterforce to those choices, however it comes about.

Anyway, DCP is insignificant in regards to the amount of "lay person" drum corps viewers out there. People here are addicted. They also have been around the activity in one way or another, and have opinions to offer...good or bad. It's in our best interest to explore all sides of an issue on the Cadets 2006, touring models, or whatever the topic may be in order to educate ourselves.

"Art v. Entertainment" isn't ever going to go away as an issue. Hop and Stewart argued about it (plug for my threads there :P ), we argue about it here, and on down the road, after DCP.... people will still argue about it.

Finally, yes....the Cadets, and others...should be able to do what they want to. The survey that a lot of the 2005 kids took showed that they wanted to innovate and take chances. That's admirable.

However, there are things that weigh on being "art" for arts sake. There's still the timing rules, the instrumentation rules and lots of other things to consider when designing a show, no matter how out there it is. These things still put you in the same box as 24 other Division I corps across the country. So, in some regards...this is being made to others desires...the members themselves firstly, and to the rulebook. So, in a lot of way, that "#### you." isn't going to play well.

When it comes right down to it, it's just kids on a football field. Talented kids. Creative kids. Kids who want to perform...who, yes...need that audience. I'm sure there are those that could say they could perform for an empty stadium, but that won't be your answer for many.

Drum corps? Art or entertainment? Sport or art? Who knows?

...but don't try to stifle the debate. :)

I agree with you bluestarcontra that critics will come, but I have read and heard some people's "criticism" and It has very often sounded like hate speech with strong implications of "this is being said by me to change what The Cadets do".

Never the less. You bring up a very solid point. Good show.

Sorry about the Unloading......I only read and post once in a while.......I have a lot of built up stuff to say....

And those who say so have every right to say exactly that. Frankly, a whole lot of time and energy is wasted on arguing about whether or not certain opinion should be expressed, rather than on the integrity and veracity of said opinions.

Honestly, I can't imagine Hopkins and The Cadets organization being bullied into changing their show in response to outside opinion about what "they do." Actually, I can't imagine any corps worth it's salt doing so-- which, IMO, is as it should be. (I think I agree with you on this, at least in principle...) So, it's not so much a matter of "letting" them do something (as if we really have anything to do with it anyway) but maybe (if I'm understanding you correctly) being tolerant or at least civil about it. Is this your position? If so, I'd venture to say that it's already the case. (For the most part) However, this doesn't mean people have to think it's the next best thing since air conditioned buses-- an obvious point that's been beaten into the ground, on this forum and others...

Personally, I wasn't so crazy about the style of The Cadets' show last year, but I certainly respect that it was well designed and they performed the crap out of it. Just wasn't my cup of tea-- that's cool. I'd be bored to tears if every show was cut from the same cloth. I'm sure most people feel the same way; it's kind of a "given."

I'm also not sold on the idea of amps yet (I'll leave it at that) but I highly doubt they'll become ubiquitous-- could be wrong there. Guess we'll see... But, and this is my main point here, the whole of DCI is bigger than The Cadets or any one corps. In a very Darwinistic sense, if DCI is a worthy/strong organization (or whatever adjective you like), it'll adapt/survive/move on. Again, no reason IMO to think otherwise. (Obviously, there are doomsayers who disagree on this...) If the amp idea really does suck, then the situation will ultimately work itself out--either they'll fade away, being hardly used or people will start to dig them and they'll stick around. With or without Cadets. Never fear, though :) , The Cadets will continue doing "their thing."