ahhhh, good old CVHS

And the big ol' line up of

Cumberland Valley High School Jazz Band

Westshoremen (with our "new" Blue Devil hand me down unis :P )

Yankee Rebels

Hosted by Mac McCauley, local AM radio DJ and father of one of our guard members.

Too bad I lost the tape years ago of Westshore and YR. :(

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad I was invited to go with Erie to this show! That was the most fun I have had in years, playing and hanging out with good drum corps people.

I saw and heard some stuff, but not the whole show...St.Joe's has gotten over a slow winter start to be the entertaining corps that they usually are. Ace is always the man...and Brad DeWall was knocking the high ones out. They were really good and enjoyable.

Park City was loud!!! And actually quite good in an alumni way. It was cool seeing Mr. Bradley, Mr Glovna, and Mr. Findley back into performing!!! Genero and Luddee throwback arrangements were awesome..Rhapsody in Blue, Stormy Weather et al...

Now, I played with Erie and had a ball. Playing with those leads made me kick it up a notch. Jokes were made about me and Nick on the same stage, but that is actually how I got the job at Erie, by breaking Nick's chops on DCP...LOL. Erie has a very good drum line for alumni standards for sure. And while assisting Jeff in warming up the hornline...I note that if they took it seriously they could actually compete in DCA brass wise...a good bunch of people...thanks Gary Matczak.

Cabs Alumni was great as usual. Frank nailed his stuff and Larry Kirchner was a great replacement conductor. His charts are some of the greatest arrangements in drum corps history and stand the test of time. He is an arranger I studied when I was trying to learn how to do this. Some new stuff was received well. Cuban Pete I think was one of the new ones and the trio work was really cool.

Sky Alumni was extremely loud and powerful, and the 14 snares were quite a sight. The lead sops still have that sound I waited to hear on Labor Day as a kid. They had a lot more horns than I thought they would have. The Albany connection is back with Sky and Hank Staab was playing lead too. Dreitzer's charts...again the sound that I studied to find out how he got that sound. Now I remember that the leads were written in an extreme range, and these guys were nailing it. John Grass has always been one of mt heroes on soprano, and he played well on his "dizzy" horn. Conga is a a good dancer!!!

Cabs field corps will be in the hunt in September if I know anything about DCA corps. From the beginning of the walk on performed by the percussion battery, I could tell that Gary Gill wasnt lying to me about this being one of his most talented lines he has ever had. They played clean beats already in April. The horn line is playing very musically, with great soloists, and very deep in the lead trumpet line. Adam, Gordito, Jon, et al were getting the job done very well. The solost in concerto did a great job as well...a lot like the BLAST version. Adam POUNDED his note at the end, I think a trumpet double B.

I have questioned some of the brass arranging in the last few years, but NOT this year. Concerto is a GREAT arrangement, and Malaga is surprisingly well written. It is perhaps the best arrangement I have heard of the chart done by many good corps. If the visual arranging is as good as the brass and percussion arranging, the Cabs could very well be back in the hunt for another title shot.

Combined Cabs will make your ears bleed. It was funny watching the field corps holding their 3rd valves down to put the horns in G.

Party was awesome and the Cabs Latin Express mini corps debutted. Gordito is my new hero!!! If they add some more baritones and clean it up some, they will be a fun group to see added to the Friday night show at DCA.

Donny

PS...I was called a whore. I dont think I am. Then I was asked how many uniforms I have. I cannot help the fact that People call me to arrange for their corps and teach them. If I get a chance to play as well, I enjoy it. It so happens that The Erie Thunderbirds called me to do some stuff and I complied. I am glad that I did. I had a BLAST playing with Jeff, Nick, Dr. Joe Allen, Mike S. Mike H. Young Dan and the rest of the guys.

So someone has to ignorant and call a DA a"whore". Well if you want your opinion to means anything to anyone why don't you tell all of us your qualifications and everything you've done. Are you paid instructor? Have you won a DCI or DCA Championship? Are you a member of the Drum Corps Hall of Fame? Mabey you can tell us all how many Champioship Shows you've wriiten and how many Champioship Hornlines you've taught? Also why don't you tell us how many Corps have asked you to be a quest soloist? Come on step up let everyone in this Forum be amazed and in awe over you, or mabey like I said in the beginning your just ignorant.

So someone has to ignorant and call a DA a"whore". Well if you want your opinion to means anything to anyone why don't you tell all of us your qualifications and everything you've done. Are you paid instructor? Have you won a DCI or DCA Championship? Are you a member of the Drum Corps Hall of Fame? Mabey you can tell us all how many Champioship Shows you've wriiten and how many Champioship Hornlines you've taught? Also why don't you tell us how many Corps have asked you to be a quest soloist? Come on step up let everyone in this Forum be amazed and in awe over you, or mabey like I said in the beginning your just ignorant.

I don't think it was anyone on here. In fact this whole thread is nothing but a love fest. Its all good.

Donny thanks for the kind words about the Latin Express. We had a great time and were were actually missing two baritones. Since you made the only comment we hope everyone else enjoyed it also. We had very little time to prepare but we are working hard to make it something special. Looking forward to the next performacnce.

You bet Josh...

Although it was a little rough as you must have known, I can see the talent and know the tradition of given some more practice, all will be well. I am glad to see a mini corps from Cabs.

Johnny T. my man...I appreciate you taking my back. And you are correct...work is work sometimes. I love having the chance to perform, and also teach different groups. When I was asked how many uniforms I have, I answered promptly, "Not as many as SCREECH"...LOL. We both depend on this activity for at least part of our livelihood. I wonder if that same question was asked of Mr. Kerchner.

I dont fret over it though, I just have fun doing it.

Donny

You bet Josh...

Although it was a little rough as you must have known, I can see the talent and know the tradition of given some more practice, all will be well. I am glad to see a mini corps from Cabs.

Johnny T. my man...I appreciate you taking my back. And you are correct...work is work sometimes. I love having the chance to perform, and also teach different groups. When I was asked how many uniforms I have, I answered promptly, "Not as many as SCREECH"...LOL. We both depend on this activity for at least part of our livelihood. I wonder if that same question was asked of Mr. Kerchner.

Donny

B) As I have seen and performed with many corps in my active day, I can't understand why the comment was even made...Seems to me that someone was Intoxilated or something..hey Donny, I am just envious that you are working a corps so close to my home yet so far at 3 dollars a gallon that I can't get there with my daughter so she could learn from a legend. Maybe we could have a corps again in Brockway and we could hire you from Erie you vixen you aha ha ha ha...wishing you and my Erie friends the best..... :blink:

You bet Josh...

Donny

DA,

you cant control ########, nor should you allow them to make you feel bad. Your track record speaks for itself, and their attitude just shows their jealousy and lack of talent.

DA,

you cant control ########, nor should you allow them to make you feel bad. Your track record speaks for itself, and their attitude just shows their jealousy and lack of talent.

Ok.....if you all must know....I was the one that called DA a "WHORE".... :blink:

But, i'm ALLOWED to!!! LOL :P

(Johnnytata..........you can check out my signature below, and let me know if I am qualified enough!!) :blink:

oh well, that just solidifies my claim you can't control ######## :P

Ok.....if you all must know....I was the one that called DA a "WHORE".... :blink:

(Johnnytata..........you can check out my signature below, and let me know if I am qualified enough!!) :blink:

:P Now I get it.... a lack of oxygen after a long night of solid solo work...(or a little intoxilated) b**bs

There are very few people in Sr corps these days who haven't worn another uniform. I don't see the problem especially when you see people like DA et al with such a list of friends across the board. I wish I had a following like that. Since someone mentioned him, Screech is now working with the Latin Express.