Then and now

The '07 Kingsmen Alumni Coprs is not, well, an Alumni corps. Alumni means than one participated previously in an organization, school, etc...My understanding is that the Kingsmen are accepting anyone who wants to march & being a member of the coprs previously is NOT a requirement. Kingsmen Senior Corps is more accurate.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of that, I am sure! :)

Rocketman - numbers don't lie

ampssuck

getting true numbers is usually the challenge

The '07 Kingsmen Alumni Coprs is not, well, an Alumni corps. Alumni means than one participated previously in an organization, school, etc...My understanding is that the Kingsmen are accepting anyone who wants to march & being a member of the coprs previously is NOT a requirement. Kingsmen Senior Corps is more accurate.

Boy, you had to bite a chunk off of THAt one, didn'tcha?.. :sshh:

If you wish to go down that road, just how many members that march, say, Regiment are "from" Rockford? So, in your thinking, unless ALL the members are from Rockford, then the corps can't claim to be from there either, right?. If you want truth in advertising, you better ask for it all around.

Rocketman - Proud Participant of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps

ampssuck

If you wish to go down that road, just how many members that march, say, Regiment are "from" Rockford? So, in your thinking, unless ALL the members are from Rockford, then the corps can't claim to be from there either, right?. If you want truth in advertising, you better ask for it all around.

Rocketman - Proud Participant of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps

ampssuck

Uhh, even though I'm positive that not every member of the Phantom Regiment is from Rockford, it is clear that every member of the Phantom Regiment is an actual member of the corps and will be able to call themselves an alumni of the Phantom Regiment when all is said and done. I think that's the point he was making. When you take in people into an "alumni corps" who never marched in that corps when it was active, is it really a true alumni corps? Good question. I fall on the side of NOT, seeing as how an alumni corps should be for alumni of that corps IMO. But I'm not really interested either way.

Enough is enough people. Why is this such an issue? The fact that the Kingsmen call themselves and Alumni Corps DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT, have an effect on other alumni type corps. What, are the Kingsmen giving alumni corps a bad name? Will someone see Kingsmen's performance in 2007 and stand and shout, NOPE, can't enjoy this, they're not a true alumni corps. Man, this is getting old. Why do people always have to look for the bad in everything?

We are calling it The Kingsmen Alumni Corps because that's what it is, and that's what WE want to call it! (don't get me started) :sshh:

Gee, is it time for the semi-annual discussion on Alumni/Not Alumni <$1 to music group Was/Not Was> already? My how the time flys. :P

As a non Alumni of an Alumni corps (say that fast three times) I've been following this pretty close and here's the latest as I can tell. Note: this is for corps that actually perform, not Alumni groups that don't play music.

Only 2 or 3 Alumni corps are made up 100% of ex-members of the competing corps. And every time I ask which corps I get different ####### answers so I gave up on that.

Some have totally dropped the "Alumni" tag to better describe the corps. Two I know for sure are Boston Crusaders and Erie Thunderbirds. Let me know who I may have missed.

My prediction is the use of "Alumni" will be changed in the next 5-10 years for the same reasons "Senior" became "All Age". My guess is "Non-Competing" or "Exhibition". Other than that it's a non-issue as the main purpose of most of these groups is to keep DC alive and who gives a #### what they are called.

PS - I used to compete against (and b-word) about my current Alumni corps. Can't get much more non-Alumni than that. ^0^

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

First off you can say Phantom Regiment from Rockford, Il because that is where the corps is located!! And I agree that technically it isn't an alumni corps. To me when I hear alumni corps I think of all ex members of that corps. But I am guessing that there might not be enough Kingsmen alumni who can participate. Could be called an honors corps, as in...in honor of the Kingsmen?