What things Did....

...you have to do to be uniform before a performance?

We had to have all hair, guys and girls, in hair nets.

White bucks had to have been shined

Horns and drums had to be cleaned.

We had white shoes with black soles, so we had to polish the tops of our shoes with white polish and then polish the sides of the soles with black.

From another thread....

In my Garfield days...70-72...

Gals...had to wear hairnets.

Guys...no hair touching the collar of the uniform or over the ears. And no facial hair at all...inc sideburns.

Guys could not put their long hair up under the shako...or use a hairnet...we had to get it cut that short. We only had gals in the guard...they did the hairnet thing.

We had a 'haircut date'...around 5/1, if memory serves, in time for the parade season to start. IN 71, two of our drummers tried to wear short hair wigs...a brown-haired fellow and a blond kid. They wore the absolutely CHEAPEST wigs available, I guess...one was black and the other almost silver...

Looked like Patty LaBelle's hair!

Needless to say...by next practice their hair was cut!

Cleaned equipment of course...drums and horns. Had to polish the silver buckle on our cross-web...and silver buttons on the jackets.

Drop sash had to be aligned "just so" along the stripe on the leg of our pants.

White bucks polished, including the edge of the sole...had to be white.

Shoes had to be laced up a certain way...right over left, I think, with no twists..had to lie flat. had to actually tie our shoes that way too...right over left on the bow.

At 70 VFW's after getting ready at the hotel we all wore plastic bags on on our feet to make sure we did not scuff up our shoes prior to inspection.

If there was an inspection we had to trim any loose threads on our unis.

As I remember, we had to use a lot of safety pins when putting on our uniforms!

For me personally...also VERY true. Not being slim and svelte (to put it mildly), I was always pinned together with, it seemed, 15-20 pins. EVERYTHING that could be pinned...was...and maybe some stuff that should not have been. :P

Thank goodness for Aunt Nell! She kept me looking as presentable as I could ever be!

I usually prayed that our lead sop wouldn't frap the solo in the concert number.

#### HIM!

Don't you hate it when you enter a rehearsal and there's some "better than anyone" guy blowing high notes. Then he gets the solo, and for months plays it correctly in practice, but then every time during the summer in front of an actual audience....

GRRRR!!!

In 1974 we did our first field performance (OK we marched the first half) in almost two years at our home show in Carlisle, PA. Unis really hadn't been checked since the corps folded after 1972 DCA so everybody had to line up to make sure:

1) American flag patch on the shoulder looked good (and still well connected)

2) Tassle hanging off the sash still there (Lot of those little suckers disappeared over the cource of 22 months).

My first three years of marching, 69-71, we had both inspections and brass horns, so you spent the night before cleaning your horn and the next day until inspection, trying to KEEP your horn clean !!

I went through fifteen pairs of cotton gloves every year. B)

"Shower with a friend" to get the horn clean, for the most part. I don;t remember such uni traditions in BD when i marched.

Also, in the case of my mouthpiece, always align the "7" mark in the center as I looked at it while at attention (although this had a more musical reasoning...there was a small nick in the mouthpiece and the alignment made sure it was not on my lips). I finally stopped doing this when I switched mouthpieces...about a month ago.

For MYSELF, tho...I would trim the stray hairs from my beard before shows. Finals was a little different matter.

The shoes were corframs, so it was just a wipe 'em down deal.

Polished the ferrule at the end of the citation cord

Trim the beard hairs

When putting on the gloves, made sure all the seams were perfectly straight down the fingers before having the gloved taped on.

Make sure the shako was straight.

Get ready to kick ###...