Teaching 'Drum Corps'?

Before I start, let me just say that my questions and comments are in no way related to the drum corps I am affiliated with. These are things I have been struggling with and just wanted some educated answers from people who seem to have several years of experience in the activity.

That being said, I've always had the feeling that a good drum corps teaches what I might call the 'mantra' of drum corps to their marching members. I think the juniors probably have it a lot easier that the seniors due, as many of us are already set in our way, and have a difficult time changing the way we do things. In the corps that I march, many of the members and staff are rooted in College Marching Band and don't have a great deal of experience on teaching how to 'do' the activity. When presented with the 'hardcore' aspect of drum corps, many of them shy away.

My question to you all, is how do you, in your own corps, teach the 'mantra' of drum corps? I'm not talking about playing the music or marching... I'm talking about the attitude and the persona...if that makes any sense.

I can elaborate if neccessary.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.

(...and sorry... I'm not the best speller in the world...)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peer pressure....

you tic, your push up, when you see the rest of the group running back to their sets and you are strolling, and the staff sys they are waiting for you, you can feel the glares from those around you...it's the whole idea of being ona team and doing what the others on teh team do....you just sort of "pick it up"

This is really simple. You lead by example. You practice what you teach. It will be up to the vets in your orginzation to establish the personality of the current season. Your staff is not responsible for defining the attitude of a corps. That is up to the membership. Once the vets take responsibilty for that you will see the change. This change normally starts with a section and then spreads to other sections. It is harder as adults whom have never experienced the drum corps "persona" amongst a group. Most adults are used to relying on their boss, spouse, family, etc.... for setting the tone in a group environment. It takes a lot of courage to step out of the "norm". So in the end..... it should really start with YOU. How do you want your fellow members act? How do you want your corps to be percieved by others? Be courageous and set the tone. Trust me.... others will follow your lead.

This is really simple. You lead by example. You practice what you teach. It will be up to the vets in your orginzation to establish the personality of the current season. Your staff is not responsible for defining the attitude of a corps. That is up to the membership. Once the vets take responsibilty for that you will see the change. This change normally starts with a section and then spreads to other sections. It is harder as adults whom have never experienced the drum corps "persona" amongst a group. Most adults are used to relying on their boss, spouse, family, etc.... for setting the tone in a group environment. It takes a lot of courage to step out of the "norm". So in the end..... it should really start with YOU. How do you want your fellow members act? How do you want your corps to be percieved by others? Be courageous and set the tone. Trust me.... others will follow your lead.

...and if that doesn't work, hit 'em in the head with a stick :lolhit:

j/k

Patrick hits the nail on the head !!! :wub:

Edited by MHFontaine

this answer is dead on 100% accurate

it's not rocket science. just watch the vets around you, and do what you think is exhibiting a good work ethic...if you're missing a piece of the puzzle, a vet will be there to help you.

I agree that Patrick's answer is awesome. However, you will always have "Renegades" in the mix. ^0^ It's simple "group dynamics". Not everyone will follow, some have to be the class clown, others have to be the devil's advocate and some will become natural leaders, etc. You can still get everyone on the same page if they all buy into the common goal (whatever the entire team sets that to be). If you have one or two out of many setting the goals for everyone without them buying into it, you'll be fighting the entire season.

I think a big reason for Renegades' success internally is that we all become a part of the evil persona. We have our own identity that is different from other corps, along with a marketing team that promotes our strengths, and our goals are set early in the season so the corps has a mission right from the start. From all aspects of the organization, our mission and identity is clear which makes it easy for new people and returning vets to get on board with the group.

Before I start, let me just say that my questions and comments are in no way related to the drum corps I am affiliated with. These are things I have been struggling with and just wanted some educated answers from people who seem to have several years of experience in the activity.

That being said, I've always had the feeling that a good drum corps teaches what I might call the 'mantra' of drum corps to their marching members. I think the juniors probably have it a lot easier that the seniors due, as many of us are already set in our way, and have a difficult time changing the way we do things. In the corps that I march, many of the members and staff are rooted in College Marching Band and don't have a great deal of experience on teaching how to 'do' the activity. When presented with the 'hardcore' aspect of drum corps, many of them shy away.

My question to you all, is how do you, in your own corps, teach the 'mantra' of drum corps? I'm not talking about playing the music or marching... I'm talking about the attitude and the persona...if that makes any sense.

I can elaborate if neccessary.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.

(...and sorry... I'm not the best speller in the world...)

Correct me if I'm wrong but my interpretation of the original question is that this corps does not have many experienced "Drum Corps" veterans among it's membership OR staff. It is more of a college marching band trying its best to be what it thinks a drum corps should be. If that is indeed the case, then the answer is not a simple one at all.

...and if that doesn't work, hit 'em in the head with a stick :lolhit:

j/k

Patrick hits the nail on the head !!! :wub:

With a stick, no less. :D