Indianapolis 2008?

I'm sure it was.....but what kind of acoustics? The stadium was designed FIRST AND FOREMOST for the Indianapolis Colts. The new Seattle Stadium was designed with acoustics in mind too....so that the fans in that stadium would be absolutely deafening. That is called "homefield" advantage.

Now I have heard the rumors that Indy's new stadium had input from other sources, but I find it very hard to believe that the stadium and the Colts organization would put the acoustical concerns of a "Band show" over the advantage of having the loudest stadium in the NFL. It defies logic.

I am very skeptical and will remain so until I hear a drumcorps perform in that stadium....so I have 2 more years to wait it out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it was.....but what kind of acoustics? The stadium was designed FIRST AND FOREMOST for the Indianapolis Colts. The new Seattle Stadium was designed with acoustics in mind too....so that the fans in that stadium would be absolutely deafening. That is called "homefield" advantage.

Now I have heard the rumors that Indy's new stadium had input from other sources, but I find it very hard to believe that the stadium and the Colts organization would put the acoustical concerns of a "Band show" over the advantage of having the loudest stadium in the NFL. It defies logic.

Are the two mutually exclusive?

I wonder how much of the bill for the stadium is being footed by the City itself (that is probably public record...I'm just too lazy on Sunday mornign to find out for myself...). Probably a hefty chunk. And if that is the case, the city has their own interests, aside from the football franchise, to consider. And since Indy, as silly as it might seem to the Colts organization, is attempting to become the Marching Music capital of the world, I'd say they would have a certain amount of leverage when it comes to assuring the stadium design meets the needs of more than just the Colts.

Just a thought...

M

At the groundbreaking for the stadium, there was the Governor of Indiana, the Mayor of Indianapolis, the Colts owner, maybe 1 or 2 other guys, and Scott McCormick of BOA.

It is my understanding that at least BOA if not maybe DCI as well were consulted and acoustics were taken into account when the stadium was designed.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Hall of Fame Museum

White River State Park

Zoo right along the river

NCAA Hall of Champions or whatever it's called

Lively downtown area

Lots of corn fields out in the country :)

Also, the Indiana State Fair would be going on at the same time as well. The State Fairgrounds are about 10-15 minutes from where the stadium would be.

Someone could to there during the day, or come a day early and go on Wednesday, or go on Sunday the day after finals. It's one of the 3 or 4 largest state fairs in America.

Are the two mutually exclusive?

"Loud crowd" acoustics vs. music-friendly acoustics? Heck yeah, they're mutually exclusive. If you want a lot of crowd noise, you want as much echo and directed volume as you can manage.

If that computer mockup is accurate, I can see it being noisy as ####. We already know that domes suck; those of us who have played in European stadiums with covered seats know that they're overloaded with echoes & reverb as well. This mockup looks like it's designed to contain the racket and bounce it around.

But... considering that corps are playing quieter these days, maybe they'll need as much help as they can get by the time 2008 arrives. :P

great, barnyard smells :P

Nope, try factory smells. The south side can get pretty stinky late in the evening. Not as bad as, say, Kingsport TN, Gary IN or Rochester NY, but still fairly rank.

And I've got a couple of things to add to the "list of places to visit". Connor Prairie is a historical recreation of an early Indiana settled community (some would say that the state has changed all that much since then :P) that's up on the northeast side of the city (and is just 10 minutes away from my apartment, if anybody's interested in meeting up :)). Secondly, Hollywood Bar and Filmworks, at 247 S. Meridian in downtown Indy, just a few blocks away from the dome, is a great place to catch a movie after hours. Plus, Saturday at midnight, they do a great rendition of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" B)

Nope, try factory smells. The south side can get pretty stinky late in the evening. Not as bad as, say, Kingsport TN, Gary IN or Rochester NY, but still fairly rank.

And I've got a couple of things to add to the "list of places to visit". Connor Prairie is a historical recreation of an early Indiana settled community (some would say that the state has changed all that much since then :P) that's up on the northeast side of the city (and is just 10 minutes away from my apartment, if anybody's interested in meeting up :)). Secondly, Hollywood Bar and Filmworks, at 247 S. Meridian in downtown Indy, just a few blocks away from the dome, is a great place to catch a movie after hours. Plus, Saturday at midnight, they do a great rendition of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" B)

except saturday at midnight we'll still be fighting traffic to get out of the stadium :P

A stadium with a roof...is a considered a "dome" in the sports world. retractable or not. Sound bounces around in a retractable roof stadium just as easily as it does a dome. Retractable roof stadiums have overhangs on which the roof slides, which create acoustical nightmares.

I guess you want to get into semantics, but that's fine and it's your juvenile right to do so.

Sound sure bounced around Olympic Stadium in Montreal, and that had an open-air top. I would guess that a retractable roof stadium that is open would be similar.

I don't know why, but that was really funny.

I thought so too! b**bs