I'm sorry, but it has to be said

which is funny, cause in 92, SCV had every gimmick in the world in the show early on, and judges hated it

Which, I guess, proves my point. They are more concerned about the judges than the fans.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it fit into their concept of what the show should be?

But was it "necessary?" After all, since it was "their concept", it is possible it made no difference to those sitting in the stands. Again, I think there is a contest just to see how much will be tolerated. For me, it wasn't "necessary." You may have liked it, and that's cool.

RM - behind door #3

ampssuck

Ok. I have seen both of these shows live. I have also watched the DVDs and listened to the audio of both shows in my car numerous times.

I have concluded that The Cadets 2005 program was almost leaps and bounds more difficult than the Cavaliers 2002 program from multiple perspectives.

Over and Over I said to myself......THIS IS CRAZY!!!! About halfway through The Cadets 2005 program ( Kill Bill, Liquid, & The Ballad ), they had already "done" more than the Cavaliers 2002 program. I am talking from a physical persective and from a difficulty of music perspective. ( not to mention the fact that these demands were simultaneous). ( you can make the same comparison with Cavies 2002 and Cadets 1998......the contrast is even more disturbing)

Execution wise I would say both shows are infinitely comparable, but in terms of physical demand and amount of difficult music, The Cadets win the argument by a LONG SHOT. It's not even close. Not even.

I love the Cavies but they I think they need to step up the amount of physical and musical demand in their shows. The Cadets IMHO ALWAYS seem to beat the Cavies and any other drum corp in this category.

The Cadets constantly play more difficult music and more of it.

When The Cadets lose, it's never because they didn't play and march a show difficult enough to win. They lose because they didn't perform their show well enough.

However, in recent years, When the Cavaliers lose, it seems to be that their show was not difficult enough to win over the Judges. ( perfect example last year......The Cavies were extremely clean!!!, but The Cadets show, filled with fast tempos ex. 184, 196, 220, 186, stacked full of ensemble percussion licks and mello runs made the Cavies show seem easy. That in my opinion is how the 99.15 came about. The Judges felt they needed to reward The Cadets that much more than they rewarded the Cavies. Since they felt that way.......Well.....they did.

I am not tryin to bash the Cavies. They are great. I am just saying that The Cadets constantly rail them in the physical & musical demand category. When I watch the Cavies and am utterly impressed, but many moments when I watch The Cadets I am like OMFG!!! The Cavies have never gotten an OMFG!!! moment from me. If they stepped their demand up, they could pull one out of me. ^_^

In short, Cavalier shows in general: Very Difficult

Cadets shows in general: More Difficult than Very Difficult.

The 99.15 were virtually equally clean, but Cadets 2005 was physically and musically more difficult than Cavies 2002.

Therefore The Cadets win the battle of the 99.15s. :music:

I completely agree

But was it "necessary?"

Nobody can answer that question but them. The fans and others can offer their opinions, but they're not the ones putting the show together. Obviously, that design team thought it was necessary. No one can change that, and we are left either liking the result or not.

Which, I guess, proves my point. They are more concerned about the judges than the fans.

I don't know about that. I think that's a bit unfair. They're probably concerned with both.

some staffs are yes. some claim to be, but you have to wonder

Really?

Honestly, I've come to this conclusion. I've been listening to the Cadets' show a lot lately, and I hardly ever find myself watching/listening to Frameworks. The Cadets having a phenomenal hornline helps push it ahead in my mind. The sonority and power coming from that hornline, Cavies 02 can't even compare to that.

I think I better go ahead and just say that I am in no way bashing Cavies or anything, and this is just my opinion, so please don't burn me at the stake.

Because we all know that these 2 factors make a show the best. If you don't listen to it, and if the sonority is better in one hornline, the show is better ... oooooof course..

/sarcasm off

Try to say objective things with out evidence and reason.. that's like me saying " yellow schoolbuses are uncool" , it just doesnt make any sense unless I say why. For instance you could tell us how the cavies 02 hornline just couldnt do well even though they got perfect scores from judges earlier that week. I mean they just suck dont they?

Edited by g0at

Honestly, I've come to this conclusion. I've been listening to the Cadets' show a lot lately, and I hardly ever find myself watching/listening to Frameworks. The Cadets having a phenomenal hornline helps push it ahead in my mind. The sonority and power coming from that hornline, Cavies 02 can't even compare to that.

i'm going to respectfully, but fervently disagree-- sonority? i can't THINK of many shows that come CLOSE to Cavies 2002 in that department... i still think Cadets are alittle top heavy- Cavies in 2002 had a hornline that should be the model for balance and blend- you just can't top them in that-- Cadets 05 i bet you could argue put out more volume, maybe a more powerful sound in general at the big hits... yeah sure- go Cadets... BUT balance, blend, sonority, resonance... thats Cavies 02- when you can clearly and easily pick out every single note in the chord just from 1 listen- you know they are doing something right...

i'm going to respectfully, but fervently disagree-- sonority? i can't THINK of many shows that come CLOSE to Cavies 2002 in that department... i still think Cadets are alittle top heavy- Cavies in 2002 had a hornline that should be the model for balance and blend- you just can't top them in that-- Cadets 05 i bet you could argue put out more volume, maybe a more powerful sound in general at the big hits... yeah sure- go Cadets... BUT balance, blend, sonority, resonance... thats Cavies 02- when you can clearly and easily pick out every single note in the chord just from 1 listen- you know they are doing something right...

</thread>

I don't think I've ever heard someone claim that any corps had more physical demands than the Cavaliers... to be honest, I can't even begin to comprehend how you think that... ... ... :unsure: