I'm sorry, but it has to be said

Sorry guys. Look....I am not an inconsiderate #####. I know that almost everyone on this board is some sort of musician, and therefore are like HOLY ****.......he did not go there!!! That's wrong.

Although, Maedros pretty much said that my opinion was TOTALLY invalid. The honest truth is that the Cavaliers difficulty, especially after looking at some of the most difficult shows in DCI history ( and other genres ), doesn't blow me away. Honestly. Their difficulty just doesn't do IT for me.

Sorry. I put a disclaimer of harshness, but I guess it didn't help so much.

No matter how arrogant my statement sounded, it could be legitimately true. It would be a reason for the disagreement.

It's been said before and must be said again

I challenge you to learn a dot of that entire 2002 show and then learn the music.....

Go march it and tell us that it isn't hard for you...the superior musician

Once you get to the top ranking of dci, most of the difficulty is totally relative to each other between corps. All those shows are beasts to march and play.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

Honestly, I've come to this conclusion. I've been listening to the Cadets' show a lot lately, and I hardly ever find myself watching/listening to Frameworks. The Cadets having a phenomenal hornline helps push it ahead in my mind. The sonority and power coming from that hornline, Cavies 02 can't even compare to that.

Not even close, and Cavies 02 would wipe the floor with Cadets 05. First lets take a look at the tiny, some say, insignificant things. The door, the wigs, the silly hats, the suitcase..etc...etc.....to me, sophmoric, and hardly mesmerising, regardless if it was done for proper effect, its cheezy. The narration was sub-par, it sounded muffled, wasn't needed, and distracted from the show. Then there is the drill design. Cadets guard spent almost the entire show wihtOUT being integrated with the corps-proper. Either on the left, either on the right, constantly apart from the corps. Not genious or innovative, distracting and simple. The finals minute of the show was a done-already re-hashed drill set and , although the fines mement to me, took to long to develop and then it was gone.

Im not a huge fan of Cavaliers 02. To me it was emotionless, machine like, and even keeled with no highs or lows to latch onto, ie: it dont communicate with me. However, the sheer power and talent of the brass line, the articulation, the contrast, the playing/marching effect, and overall dynamics blow Cadets 05 away. Drill design was of constant motion, ever evolving sets, all solid, all effective from standstill, to transition, not a bad set, not a sloppy transition, and written incredibly well to fit the music, highlight the guard, and pull the audience in for effect.

Colorguard, while not deserving of a perfect score, showed much more variety and content in their show that Cadets 05. (Dancer in the dark segment was outstanding, but thats not the entire show) Flags were constantly moving and attacking and highlighting the music while always being invloved in the drill, not set off tot he right or left, out in "left field" They had to constantly perform and deliver becuase at any given time in the show, they had to sell it, not stand to the side.

No, overall, The Cavies02 had more demand, more exposure, and much more effect than Cadets 05, in my opinion, should they compete together, it wouldnt be close.

~G~

I know this is harsh but I am going to say it anyway....

Maedhros.........Maybe I have been paying attention, but I am a better musician than you, and I am not as easily impressed as you are.

Ever thought of that? Hmm..... Maybe not. ( you should play these notes on an instrument when you get a chance..... G3 C4 G3 C3 G3 C4 G3, G3 C4 G3 C4 E4, D4 C4 B3 A3 Ab3 G3..... Good luck :) )

Well, this is ignorant, uncalled for and totally off-topic. Quite frankly, who cares if you are or are NOT a better musician than anybody. I think this refered to if you ever had a OMFG moment from the Cavies, in which Matt replied, "then you havent been paying attention" Guess what, I agree totally with him and its quite simple that Cavies have delivered dozens of "OMFG" moments in the last 27 years I have watched them live.......now, as for your other issue, I think you owe Matt an apology. and by the way congratulations on YOUR first "OMFG" moment, as I read it and say "OMFG, how rude !!"

~G~

There is a 3 years different between the two shows.

Like someone said before, guard was used alot better. They also had Visual GE effect after anoter. With Cadets you had to kind sit and wait for it. Music GE.... both were on the boring side, but still liked Cavies best.

Vis Perf, two totally different marching styles, both performed very well.

Vis Ensemble, Cavies for the reasons stated above about the guard.

Guard. Had to go with Cadets on this one. Both had alot of great moments.

Brass. Cavies. Cavies performed a risky book well. It required blend and balance at all times. Compared to the very first show of the season and the last. They did some serious work to pull it off.

Music Ensemble, could go either way for me.

Percussion, Cadets, no questions

But putting the two shows head to head, I would have to go with Cavies.