park performance venues

Have any of you done theme parks (six flags, etc) with your groups?

How has that worked out? was the pay any good? what about the format? (roving performance, parade, stage set-up?)

Have you used the performance as a corps outing? (free day at the park for memebers, etc)

what about other park venues, fairs, etc?

thanks for your input!

we did Disney in 96. we set up in front of the castle which was god ugly pink at the time.

couldnt tell ya what they paid, but we had free admission for the day after we paraded/played the show

we did Disney in 96. we set up in front of the castle which was god ugly pink at the time.

and to think i had no idea who you even were that day. :unsure:

how things have changed in 10 years ^0^

We did Six Flags America in Maryland last year in the fall. Marched through the park and stopped and played a couple of times. The only payment involved was us paying them the reduced group rate for the day. Good deal for Six Flags. It was kind of fun though. I would do it again.

We do Kennywood Park,a local place.Ride all day do a stage performance and or a parade. Everyone has a good time.

I remember doing Kennywood 'back in the day' - it was just a parade through the park IIRC. The corps got all day passes, and I think we reserved a picnic pavilion for the day. Did the same at Idlewild, another local amusement park.

Also did Ontario Place on a 'minitour' back in the mid 70s - that one was more roving around the park, parking for a tune or two, then moving on. We had time at the park, but had to leave too soon to get home.

The Erie Thunderbirds have, for several years, an Annual Family Picnic/concert at Waldameer

Park in Erie, Pa. Waldameer is the 11th oldest Amusement park in the U.S.A.

After our concert we board the In-Park train ride(the train is really meant for kids...not inebriates...) and play our show during our trip throughout the park.....What a HOOT!! It's a tight fit but we "Git-R-Done".

Great crowd pleaser and we never lost a horn, horn player, or percussionist........(as far as we know... b**bs )

This too was my first exposure to the DCA brand of drum corps. Living in the Dallas, TX area, we never saw all ages. That was a NE only organization that was all over DCW and seemed to take up too much space at that!

Indeed, things have changed for me in those 10 years as well!

Edited by Euphscott

Have any of you done theme parks (six flags, etc) with your groups?

How has that worked out? was the pay any good? what about the format? (roving performance, parade, stage set-up?)

Have you used the performance as a corps outing? (free day at the park for memebers, etc)

what about other park venues, fairs, etc?

thanks for your input!

We (Garfield) actually played at Six Flags over Georgia back in 1971, after VFW's in Dallas...we stopped there on our way back to NJ (just a alight detour! :P ).

I've had many bands play at theme parks...Bush Gardens in VA was the worst last time...we used to perform by this fountain near the German area..last time they stuck us OUTSIDE the entry gate adjacent to the parking lot...but NOT on the path of folks entering the park. It was silly!

Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ...we've paraded around the park...paid the reduced rate...a good deal for Six Flags, of course. Also had the percussion ensemble play there a few year back.

The band goes to Disney World every four years...just came back. Again, we get a discout, but that is it...plus of course a t-shirt and a plexi-glass 'trophy'.

This too was my first exposure to the DCA brand of drum corps. Living in the Dallas, TX area, we never saw all ages. That was a NE only organization that was all over DCW and seemed to take up too much space at that!

Indeed, things have changed for me in those 10 years as well!

wow and i thought we didnt get enough coverage :P