Website Access Problem

JohnZ

Morning All!

I'm having a problem accessing DCP from home, and can't find any reference to my specific problem here.

It seems as though I am not able to access the site - it tells me that it is not available. It seems to be sporadic, since I have been able to access once or twice in the evening hours the past two weeks.

I did just recently updated IE and Mozilla - it occurs on both.

I did just install McAfee. Probably the culprit, but can't verify.

I have:

- cleaned out the cookies and files.

- rebooted the system.

- reestablished the network connection/IP address.

- checked to make sure you weren't listed as a restricted site on McAfee or the other filters.

- tried to establish a new link.

I frequent two other Invision boards, both working fine.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about shutting down McAfee temporarliy, then attempting to access the site? If the problem persists, then McAfee's not the cause.

Is DCP the only site you're having access issues with?

Thanks for replying Kevin.

Even disabling McAfee I am still getting the error. No other sites seem to be affected.

the odd part of this is that every once in a great while I get through.

Leaving for home soon, so I'll either find the problem and report back or check in tomorrow.

THANK!

I've had that problem too...I think it probably has to do with DCP moving recently.

DNS sometimes takes a long while to propogate where to "look" for DCP throughout your ISP's servers.

Contact your ISP if it continues...mine straightened itself out after a few days.

Or, if all else fails, I can walk you through how to set a DNS server manually.

:)

DNS sometimes takes a long while to propogate where to "look" for DCP throughout your ISP's servers.

We have a winner. :P

I'm most interested in getting to the bottom of this issue. Bawker is right - that DNS takes time to work its way thru the network to the furthest reaches of the internet. However, the DNS change was made several weeks ago and all 'current' DNS servers should have had plenty of time to catch-up.

I've sent a PM to John - asking that he contact me directly so I can help diagnose the problem. If we have 'issues' - I want to make sure they're resolved ASAP.

Thanks all for your support.

-john

A suggestion would be to go into your control panel - Internet options - Click the advanced button under temporary Internet files and check every visit to the page. I know because it has happened to me on a new computer after a couple of days of use. Temp files also become corrupt and well it me it is a good thing to always want to see the latest pages.

One thing to try first of all is to see if you can "flush" the negative DNS server response, 'cause Windows will save it sometimes.

1) Open a command prompt (start>programs>accessories>cmd prompt)

2) type "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt. This gets rid of the old entries, so the next time you "look" for DCP, it's a current version of where the server is.

Sometimes that can help. :)

edit: If you're running Windows 98, or NT....

1) Get to the command prompt as above, type "ipconfig /release"

2) Then type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter.'

This usually clears up the DNS tables.

Edited by bawker

thanks everyone - I've just PM'd John and will try a few of these as well as take him up on a personal contact to get to the bottom of this.

FYI, I started the computer this morning and had no trouble accessing DCP through my usual bookmark - not a burp. that's what is baffling, being able to access sporadically.

I'm most interesting in getting to the bottom of this issue. Bawker is right - that DNS takes time to work its way thru the network to the furthest reaches of the internet. However, the DNS change was made several weeks ago and all 'current' DNS servers should have had plenty of time to catch-up.

I've sent a PM to John - asking that he contact me directly so I can help diagnose the problem. If we have 'issues' - I want to make sure they're resolved ASAP.

Thanks all for your support.

-john

I've had intermittent problems with the same type of issue. Fortunately, I can change my router to use other DNS servers pretty much on the fly, but they'll occasionally crap out, and I'll have to switch around.