Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

I agree with MikeD, change isn't bad. I want to see drum corps keep evolving. Whichever way that is, I don't know, but if it's woodwinds, so be it.

Apparently, you haven't read anything throughout these posts on this thread. <**>

How does drum and bugle corps "evolve" with woodwinds? It would no longer be drum and bugle corps.

Man, such a simple concept made difficult.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with all the people who are saying MikeD hasnt presented a good argument. Just think, you add woodwinds to a corps, you just increase the competition to get in, and if they want in so bad, they'd learn the instrument. There is nothing keeping them from doing it, other than themselves. Personally, right now, it's perfect. You can play woodwinds in I&E, but not march em. Fine with me. Also, I don't believe anyone has mentioned this, but woodwind instruments would possibly just fall apart from the wear and tear of corps. You cant march in the rain then because of the reeds and pads getting messed up. In other words, woodwinds in corps is just a stupid idea.

I guess I just don't like the premise that drum corps must allow in woodwinds in order to give them the opportunity. I think that is a bogus rationale. The opportunity for them to join is there, as it was for me. Yes, I had to work harder. I didn't feel "discriminated" against (in response to the "equal opportunity statement"). It just made the reward that much sweeter. If a hockey player wants to play football, does s/he demand that they play football on ice and skates for equal opportunity? No, s/he learns how to play the new sport. If s/he excells at the new sport, their sense of accomplishment is that much greater. It's no different here.

:huh::huh::huh::huh: That is the best response I've ever seen to this issue. Agreed.

I'm with all the people who are saying MikeD hasnt presented a good argument.

I agree........

I asked MikeD to present a couple of specific reasons why he supports WW in drum corps and I have not seen one yet..........

Triple Forte

I agree........

I asked MikeD to present a couple of specific reasons why he supports WW in drum corps and I have not seen one yet..........

Triple Forte

I have given my reasons many times in the multitude of threads on the subject.

There wasn't a F*CK NO! option, so I just went with no.

This is just silly.

If you want to march in Drum Corps, but play a woodwind instrument, then learn a brass or percussion instrument, ####, spin a flag, and try-out for a corps (Div 1/2/3).

I was a bassoonist for 5 years (with 2 years on tenor sax), and when I wanted to march in corps, I taught myself mellophone (with a spare at my College marching band room), and auditioned for a corps.

It takes drive.

You have to have the desire to adapt and change, not force the program itself to change for you.

amen sobe

i wasnt in band or anything when I decided to march drum corps. I just remember watching 03 phantom and being blown away. i saw it on christmas and by fall the next year i was at auditions. I wanted to be apart of corps so bad that I learned an instrument.

I sucked it up, learned an instrument, and practiced.

so i guess drum corps is for everbody

And if you ARE a flute player in a MB who wants the summer experience drum corps offers today to brass/percussion....too bad...or...add to what drum corps currently offers by adding WW.

or find a summertime marching band.

merging drum corps into a genre, like marching band, that already exists is NOT evolution.

You marched over two decades ago. It was a different world than today. I don't think many flute players can walk into ...say...a Regiment camp with no trumpet training and make the trumpet section in this day and age.

just like you dont often see a great lacrosse player just walk in and become a starter on the hockey team.

not everything is made to be everything for everyone