Got any interesting, pitiful, sad stories...

In 88 Sky Ryders, we had a baritone that claimed to have marched 84 Phantom. It took the vets all of about a fraction of a second to see that he was nothing more than a rookie wannabe. We asked him about his experience at Phantom, and such, and had him talking up a good game in front of everyone. We then asked him what he thought of the DM. His response? "He was a d###"! Given that the DM was actually a girl that year, we called him out right there. I don't think he ever lived that down either. He was a constant target for ridicule. To his credit, after that rather humbling experience, his attitude was much improved and he was actually a pretty good member.

you have a great memory tim...I'd almost forgotten that one(no it was'nt me :lol: )

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work with a guy that claims to have marched BD in the mid 90's. Haven't found his name in the alum database. I'm not pressing it too much, he's a nice enough guy and probably just did first tour or something........

I also work with a mother of a Teal Sound contra alum............

Is it unusual to work with that many peeps that acutally know what drum corps is?

My girlfriend's ex boyfriend claimed to be in the tenor line of SCV '98.

HA.

My girlfriend's ex boyfriend claimed to be in the tenor line of SCV '98.

HA.

yeah, i mentioned him in this thread.

I just shake my head at these stories...

Amazing...and pretty pathetic.

It's tough to get something like that started, even if you have good intentions (I still remember the Chattahoochee Sound Association; never did hear the real story with them). Myself and a few people from a community band I play in have, in fact, started a minicorps. There are only a handful of us (a baby's hand :D ) right now, and it'll be interesting to see how things go. I'm afraid to hype it too much for fear of it imploding and disheartening people (namely myself), but then again, if nobody knows you're there...

At least one person that did this was looking for money. I don't know if they would have refunded all funds when it went bust, but it seemed a bit scammy to me.

Are you doing this in the Atlanta area? I would love to get a corps going. I wouldn't be very useful from a teaching end, but I can work hard (when time is available). I've been thinking for a while that I would love to start a non-profit that might one day operate a corps, but until that time could sponsor members into corps or just sponsor particular corps. I have not put anything on paper yet so it is just something swirling around in my mind right now.

As far as the thread goes, I agree that there is no shame in not having marched corps. I don't think it devalues an opinion about the state of the activity. After I marched, my opinion on the activity has forever been shaped by having spent one summer on the inside. I am pretty sure I have no idea what the non-marching fan thinks of the activity anymore because of that. I find myself stuck wanting things to be the way they were back in 1993 for the most part.

Also, anyone who rips on another person for their corps placement is scummy. I busted my ### all that summer for a 17th place finish and I won't let anybody take away from that. We worked long days and paid a lot of dues for the opportunity to go on first at Semifinals. One thing that non-marchers can do that devalues their opinion is try to make fun of someone who actually marched because of where their corps placed that summer. Like I said before, I think it takes being on the inside to understand that every corps works very hard all summer regardless of where they come in at Championships. A 17th place finish does not mean they were 17th in hours worked to achieve that goal. I knew kids that had this sort of attitude.

this percussion guy that used to go to college with me claimed he marched blue knights for a year on snare.. he would even point "himself" out on the dvd in the show.... he would EVEN play the licks that were in the show...

now here's what really went down...

he was supposed to ride with someone up to a blue knights camp for auditions i believe.. but.. he never went.. but he still told people that he made the line and marched that season.

The funniest part of the story is the fact that you, yourself, pretended to march somewhere else.

Heh heh, and don't think it hasn't been pointed out before. But my little white lie was told in a moment of panic, because when i was asked where I marched I didn't want to tell him Regiment and blow him out of the water in front of his gal. His lie was premeditated.

There was this one guy in college that swore he marched Cavies. Yeah, I would just sit there and grin along with all the other people that marched during the summer (I was the only one that didn't march Phantom).

My favorite is when he would make up names then the next time he told the story, new names!!!!

My favorite thing to spot a fake.... Start to talk about GOLD BOND. If the guy dosen't say that it makes your sack tingly, he didn't march.

Edited by bssop97

oh man... this guy i knew ran into my ex-girlfriend at the pool and he saw she had a spirit shirt on, and he came up and tried to talk to her (hit on her perhaps?) and they got talking about corps and stuff and she asked if he had marched somewhere and he said he marched tenors for phantom, when he actually marched with pioneer--- she later went back to her place and out of curiousity looked him up on facebook and found out where he really marched...

i hadnt talked to her in months, but after that happened she actually called me out of the blue to tell me that story because she thought it was so funny/sad-- good stuff--